Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 06:49 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Uber, Lyft, Doordash, etc.
For a pregnant woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 04:01 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
You might call them and double check to make sure this information is up to date due to covid. Usually around here a degree (or at least 60 hours of college) are required, too, but due to covid, they are waiving the requirements, begging parents to come in and sub, begging ANYONE who can pass a background check basically to come in and sub. They are having to close schools around here because they are so short of teachers and subs. So you might call and double check if they are waiving degree requirements. Nowadays subbing is all computerized and you can check the night before or early in the morning and see if you want to take a job.
Thank you I will definitely do this!

Old 02-02-2022, 02:15 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Work event security. It's very flexible, because you pick and choose when and what event you want to work, and as many hours as you want to work.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:38 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I'm mainly looking for mcjobs. I just need to work 3 days a week, 4-5 hours a day for some extra money.
Mcjobs are a dime a dozen out there and they're particularly desperate for workers. Talk to the management and tell them your availability.

They have a choice: say OK or keep whining about not having enough people. (of course, don't say this out loud to them )

You're in the driver's seat here.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:11 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've applied to several places and got an interview (Culver's). Interview went great, they like my work experience and that I'm not 16 years old(their words). Ok with my schedule needs but.. once he found out I was pregnant it changed to "I'll need to run this by the owner(he was referring to the hours I need)" said he'll call me. Well.. no call. I called yesterday and he brushed me off acting like they're not really needing anyone else, yet in the interview he told me they're "always hiring" but he will "ask the owner when he sees him". So yes I'm pretty irritated. It's fast food. Cashier, food runner, drive through. I'm pregnant, not helpless. I really think the reason was due to me being pregnant because he mentioned that only one employee he hired was pregnant and she quit after a month(she was also only 17 years old). I'm not due for 6 months yet so I have no plans on leaving before then. Better not ever hear that place complain about being short staffed.

The location would of been great for me, place is cleaner I think then say McDonald's and less chaotic and they started at $13/hr with previous experience. So I'm really discouraged about finding something..

Old 02-09-2022, 10:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
...but.. once he found out I was pregnant it changed to "I'll need to run this by the owner
...Well.. no call. I called yesterday and he brushed me off ...
And you're really surprised by this outcome?
If he had known in advance the interview wouldn't have gotten as far as it did.
NOT informing them in advance would be reason to fire you a week later when it was learned.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:58 PM

185 posts, read 114,565 times
Fast food places can be awful to work for. I worked for one during college where I had to ask permission to use the bathroom when we got really busy one day and another for a chain fast food place that didn't even remember to give us meal breaks during training. Maybe it's as well you didn't get that job.

I would try small businesses in your area if there are any. Just drive up to some places, strip malls and walk in and ask if they're hiring: yarn stores, bead shops, mom-and-pop bakeries, etc. There are stores like this at the mall if you have a local mall. Have a resume in hand and dress nicely - business casual. If you're lucky, they can interview and even hire on the spot, I got a job that way at a moving supplies store. I'd stay away from the chains, they work you to death and you have to put up with horrible shifts sometimes - midnight to worse - not a good idea for someone in your condition. I don't have any advice on whether you should tell them you're pregnant though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search