Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

Someone that is preferably certified? I'm a writer myself, but as with all specialties, it's best to leave certain things to the experts. I know we can't advertise on the site, so if you would DM me it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:55 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Just a suggestion:

If you are a writer (I consider myself an amateur writer and would NEVER pay anyone to write anything for me) I suggest you get the following to help you in your resume writing:

Resumes To Knock Them Dead by Martin Yates

I found it (and a few of his other books) fresh and helpful.

In these tough times, you can try as much as you like to 'retool' and 'dig' but if the job is not there, it's not there!!

I always do our resumes and at least my husband has gotten good results.

Good luck anyhow should you go with a pro.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Just a suggestion:

If you are a writer (I consider myself an amateur writer and would NEVER pay anyone to write anything for me) I suggest you get the following to help you in your resume writing:

In these tough times, you can try as much as you like to 'retool' and 'dig' but if the job is not there, it's not there!!

I've never had a problem in the past either Gypsy. Usually, once I put my resume out there, the phone will not stop ringing.

Although I am a veteran (19 years) professional writer, there are different sub specialties within all areas of writing. I think that I can write a pretty decent resume and have never had employers/potential employers say anything but good things about how I put my resume together.

However, I want someone that does this for a living to at least take a look. I had one outfit contact me and they totally laid into how horrible my resume was. Now I KNOW it isn't THAT bad and that they were trying to bilk me for money.

I'm just trying to do ANYTHING that I can to increase my chances to get a job.

Currently, I'm what you would call "underemployed." I'm an independent consultant for a company out of DC. The pay is fantastic (when I work), but I've not worked since May.

Anyway, I do appreciate your response.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Just a suggestion:

BTW, the jobs are there. I think that the main problems with me not getting steady work are:

Age: I'm 48, and although that's not old by a long shot, employers are looking to hire cheap. And a 30 something writer will work for far, far less than I. Although I'm willing to work for less because of steady work, employers are pretty sure that I will cut and run once the economy bounces back (if ever).

Employers being flooded with resumes: For each job posted, there are literally thousands of resumes sent in for each position. The chances of a hiring manager even seeing my resume are minimal.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
The only warning I have is that you may get someone unscrupulous that they will lie to you about 'how bad' your resume is!

If you have NEVER had a problem before, then now it may be the times not your skills.

Anyhow, I am not trying to argue with you...good luck.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
The only warning I have is that you may get someone unscrupulous that they will lie to you about 'how bad' your resume is!

If you have NEVER had a problem before, then now it may be the times not your skills.

Anyhow, I am not trying to argue with you...good luck.
Oh, I know you aren't arguing with me Gypsy. And I suspect that you are right that it may be the times. It's definitely not my skills; I've received awards for my writing. No Pulitzer or anything like that, but rave reviews from the people for whom I have worked, as well as their customers. I've written winning proposals in excess of $100,000,000. Even those companies for which I have brought in all of this money won't even hire me as an employee or take me on as a consultant. They just say, "Times are bad."

My inside voice tells me, "Well what the heck did you do with that $100,000,000 that I helped you win!"

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
Have you considered advertising on Craigslist?

Also a woman I know who was an excellent writer went to a local job fair where there were hundreds of people waiting in line and handed everyone a flyer advertising her services as resume and cover letter writer. Of course some people were rude and did not take or flyer but she did receive many emails and calls.

I think there are many people out there who are English as a Second Language who would like someone to look at their correspondence related to job hunting. Especially in Texas!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 PM

295 posts, read 1,178,842 times
The book that GypsySoul recommended is a really good resource.

Please be careful of people out there charging to do resumes. I have talked to a couple of people who have spent hundreds of dollars by an "expert" but the resume that they got back was horrible! When they tried to go back to them for more revisions - they could not find the person because they stopped returning calls, etc.

If you want to PM me, I do know someone in Oregon who is building her own career counseling business and her resumes are great. And, she doesn't charge an arm and a leg either!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. P. View Post
Hi! I would definitely consider myself and my team great resume writers. Happy to help you in any way possible. You can check out findmyprofession.com or read why we are the #1 Executive Resume Service in 2018 + 2019 here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/top-1...-mike-podesto/
#1 according to an article YOU WROTE.

And, since I don't find your name in any of the member searches for the four industry associations, it's safe to say you're not certified, either.

https://parw.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?h=1
https://thenrwa.com/professionalresumewriters
https://careerdirectors.com/member-directory
https://resumewritingacademy.com/directory

So, OP, not this one -- on both counts.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,044 times
I am not a professional resume writer. But I can help you to make CV work. Not for profit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search