Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 02:30 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Kind of depends on the requirements. Some are what I consider "hard": including mandatory geographic or industry certifications, licenses, degrees you need to provide proof you have attained. Others are more subjective and could be met in more than one way. If you can show you've attained the necessary experience and education by some alternate route, go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 03:04 PM

185 posts, read 114,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I'd like to share a story about applying for a job that I didn't meet all of the requirements for: About 2007 or so I did just that (I don't remember the company), and I got a reply back saying that they consider applications from unqualified candidates spam and if I were to do it again they'd report it to the authorities (what could "the authorities" do with something like that?).

Did an unqualified job candidate run over this person's puppy? Because I can't think of why else they'd react this way. A lot of people apply for jobs they're not fully qualified for per the requirements especially in soft skill fields.

Yes, I did and do it all the time, especially since I work in a sub-set of a profession where there's never enough candidates. However if it very strongly states that they must have such and such or it's clearly way above my requirements, I usually pass. Sometimes I'll do it anyway just for kicks if it's something I feel they'll never call me for - got shortlisted for a job at the Library of Congress that way though they picked another company's candidates for the job. You never know till you apply, there have been jobs I could swear I'd get a call for which I never heard back from and others I thought I had no chance in hell and they called me.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
I'd like to share a story about applying for a job that I didn't meet all of the requirements for: About 2007 or so I did just that (I don't remember the company), and I got a reply back saying that they consider applications from unqualified candidates spam and if I were to do it again they'd report it to the authorities (what could "the authorities" do with something like that?).
It was probably related to the various "Spam" & "Unsolicited Marketing Email" laws that were popping up around that time. This was also around the time when sending mass resumes to virtually every mail you can find was popular. Although some companies did follow through when these resumes and job responses were coming from unaffiliated commercial recruiters, it was really aimed at stopping Uncle Fred's U-Pay-Me-For-A-Job-Referral employment recruiter.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:29 PM

148 posts, read 113,453 times
Quote:
Sounds like they did you a favor. Now you know which company to avoid.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:40 AM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
I found 50% was enough to get to the HR phone interview screening. It wasn't enough; however, to get to the hiring manager(s) round. For that I needed to meet the 80% threshold. Now as far as getting the job, I needed to hit the 90% threshold. I'm of the opinion that companies are seeking "turnkey employees." The less they must train you on the better and the quicker you can produce at a max level for the company. Course certain requirements carry more weight, and a good interview with a lower salary demand (when compared to other candidates) can help. This is completely anecdotal based off my own experiences.

So long as you have a thick skin then there is no harm is applying even with only 50% of requirements.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:54 AM

148 posts, read 113,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I found 50% was enough to get to the HR phone interview screening. It wasn't enough; however, to get to the hiring manager(s) round. For that I needed to meet the 80% threshold. Now as far as getting the job, I needed to hit the 90% threshold. I'm of the opinion that companies are seeking "turnkey employees." The less they must train you on the better and the quicker you can produce at a max level for the company. Course certain requirements carry more weight, and a good interview with a lower salary demand (when compared to other candidates) can help. This is completely anecdotal based off my own experiences.

So long as you have a thick skin then there is no harm is applying even with only 50% of requirements.
I've been on a few hiring committees and based on my experience, it's almost impossible to find someone who meets 90% of the requirements. Although some companies won't hire anyone who doesn't meet all of the requirements.

If the requirements said the person has to have experience with Banana software, Apple software, Orange software, and Lemon software, most candidates would have experience with two of them and a few others we don't use. One candidate ends up having the most experience but has a personality that just won't fit in with the rest of the team. Or there is just something "off" about them.

For the last position we hired for, our primary choice candidate accepted an offer elsewhere and turned down our offer. We ended up making an offer to the second choice candidate, but realizing that the person would need some training.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:28 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
I've been on a few hiring committees and based on my experience, it's almost impossible to find someone who meets 90% of the requirements. Although some companies won't hire anyone who doesn't meet all of the requirements.

If the requirements said the person has to have experience with Banana software, Apple software, Orange software, and Lemon software, most candidates would have experience with two of them and a few others we don't use. One candidate ends up having the most experience but has a personality that just won't fit in with the rest of the team. Or there is just something "off" about them.

For the last position we hired for, our primary choice candidate accepted an offer elsewhere and turned down our offer. We ended up making an offer to the second choice candidate, but realizing that the person would need some training.
I guess it varies by industry. In my industry (the insurance/financial sector) getting candidates that meet 90% is doable. Now getting to 90% at the desired salary, within a short (3 - 4 months) timeframe is when it gets tricky. I also say 90% with the assumption some requirements carry more weight. It would be nice if more the companies were willing to accept 50%, but at least in my industry there just doesn't appear to be much of an appetite for training. Granted there are also some regularly requirements which hinder the process. The state demands a certain experience level or educational background to be certified. Now for internal candidates it's a totally different story. You can be hired with little to no experience if you received good performance evaluations, have recommendations, and show promise.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:40 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
The best job I ever had was a job where I had the knowledge but no experience.

You never know what you'll be able to talk your way into.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:22 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
I put a lot of time and effort into each resume and application. I also only apply if I have 80% or more of what the job announcement said the company is looking for.

1) I don't want to wast MY time. MAYBE if I didn't spend so much time on each resume/application I'd feel differently. I see a LOT more jobs open that I would apply for, but with only one position open. And with a hundred -- to hundreds of people applying for one spot to me the odds just don't justify applying for a gig when I don't think that even I would pick me.

So let me ask: What percentage of people to you think are or have you found to be -- totally Unqualified and not even worth considering....what percentage of applications/resumes get totally kicked out from the start?

I ask because out of 600 applicants -- if 30% are not even qualified in ANY way. then MAYBE the odds aren't one in 600....they're only one in 400. Or, of 100 applicants -- if 50% of applications go straight to the dumpster...then it's really only 50 applicants that a person would have to beat out. Still not great odds but better than if everyone were a contender.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:22 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So let me ask: What percentage of people to you think are or have you found to be -- totally Unqualified and not even worth considering....what percentage of applications/resumes get totally kicked out from the start?
In my industry, about 95% of applicants are unqualified. This is more a function of fantasy wanna-be's pretenders versus the reality of the actual industry professionals. This is why we often recruit via targeted headhunting and not general advertising or postings. The frustrating thing about this is that many really think their piddly distant knowledge is anywhere close to the reality of the real world. It's akin to someone who built a backyard shed thinking they are qualified to design and build a SuperMax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search