Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 04:57 PM

148 posts, read 113,826 times

Advertisements

Some job postings have very specific requirements like "3 years of experience in the design and maintenance of SAP HCM Security architecture".

What if you meet the other requirements but don't have this any experience with this particular software? Should you even bother applying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 03:39 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
I have a friend who is a corporate business consultant specializing in diversity, equity and inclusion. DEI as they call it these days. She advises on how businesses can expand their applicant pool and workplace diversity. (I know yet another phrase even I am tired of hearing about. Anyway.....)

She told me years ago that studies show that men tend to apply for positions even if they have only about half the desired experience, and women tend to only apply if their experience matches the position or announcement close to 100%.

So, the issue was how to address the job announcements and recruiting efforts to get more women and minority applicants.

Interesting.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:18 AM

984 posts, read 442,942 times
Yes, I'd say if you meet 50-75% of the "requirements," then go ahead and apply. The worst that can happen is that you don't get a call, right?

Old 04-28-2022, 06:22 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Yes apply.

I have been on the other end faced with the final candidates... two that were qualified that I couldn't stand, and one that wasn't qualified and I liked and thought would be normal.

Guess who got the job?

Old 04-28-2022, 07:09 AM

602 posts, read 505,604 times
I'd like to share a story about applying for a job that I didn't meet all of the requirements for: About 2007 or so I did just that (I don't remember the company), and I got a reply back saying that they consider applications from unqualified candidates spam and if I were to do it again they'd report it to the authorities (what could "the authorities" do with something like that?).

Old 04-28-2022, 09:14 AM

23,548 posts, read 24,057,818 times
I would apply if I meet 50% of the requirements. “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

Old 04-28-2022, 09:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We just hired someone who was very well qualified but lacked experience with one requirement, Sharepoint. Since it's something that can easily be learned in a short time, we hired her anyway.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:15 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
I wouldn't NOT apply because you don't meet all the requirements. If you did that, you'd never get a job. In many cases, the "requirements" are more "wants". Not to mention that depending on how aggressive they may be - you're not being assessed against the posting, but against the others that are applying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I'd like to share a story about applying for a job that I didn't meet all of the requirements for: About 2007 or so I did just that (I don't remember the company), and I got a reply back saying that they consider applications from unqualified candidates spam and if I were to do it again they'd report it to the authorities (what could "the authorities" do with something like that?).
LOL - I guess you can chalk it up that you were fortunate that this happened. I can't imagine how fun they would be to work for.

As for the "threat". My lawyer friend always say - you can say, post, or type up anything, it doesn't mean it actually has any (legal) weight behind it.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:19 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We just hired someone who was very well qualified but lacked experience with one requirement, Sharepoint. Since it's something that can easily be learned in a short time, we hired her anyway.
I used Sharepoint and I can't believe that is a requirement. It's so easy to pick up and learn.

Maybe under "desirable experience"?

Old 04-28-2022, 11:27 AM

984 posts, read 442,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Looks like you dodged a bullet there!

I can picture it now. "911, what's your emergency?" "Hello, I received a resume from someone unqualified for the position and I'd like to report it as a crime."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search