Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:26 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times

Advertisements

to check your criminal record is go to 3 places(or possible more if you've been arrested more than once)

1)the court that heard your case, get a record of disposition stating the original charge(s) and what happened(dismissed, found guilty, pled guilty, acquitted, etc). if you were convicted, there will always be a record publicly available at that court

2) get your rap sheet from the state you were arrested in. you will usually have to send in a roll of fingerprints to get your rap sheet. it will state the arrest charge, and what happened in court. if it's sealed, it will say so

3) get your rap sheet from the FBI. same process as above #2. if your case was dismissed, acquitted, sealed usually the FBI will have expunged the info so you won't have a record

but it doesn't really matter because the police can unseal an arrest that was otherwise sealed or did not result in a conviction. and they usually conduct a comprehensive check that includes the 3 levels mentioned above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm really confused. You've either committed a crime or you haven't. If you haven't committed a crime, and haven't had any violation more serious than a parking ticket, you have nothing to worry about.

If in fact you do have something lurking in your background, it will be found out. My son has a friend with a juvenile record that was supposed to be sealed. When he applied for a job at the school my son was working at, they did a background check and guess what popped up?
Ah yes, the old sealed record. This is the same as ARD or Accelerated Rehabilative Disposition and other programs that are supposed to "clear" your record if completed successfully. As a former state trooper, I can tell you that even though you complete these programs, records are sealed, cleared, expunged etc, they are not removed from law enforcement's files, they are merely labeled as "expunged" and when a background check is done (by other than law enforcement) the requestor is told there is "no record" but if a law enforcement background check is performed, then the info is provided. Sadly, there is no such thing as truly having your record sealed, cleared or any other such nonsense.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 AM

2 posts, read 22,978 times
Default background check

Background check is imperative to become a police officer and all those who are planning to opt for this career need to be prepared. Some things that are closely checked are T full legal name, legal age, your past and present residence, any ticket to any traffic violation, military and any criminal record. If you want any more information about it you may visit the site [url]www.investigation.com[/url]

Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times
Default Background Check? - Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
I would like to become a police officer oneday, some of my friends stated that you must pass an extensive background investigation and be free of any felony conviction. Anyone know (websites) or how to find out about your own record. I dont have a felony conviction, just a few parking tickets, just want to know what I have on the record and to see if I should apply in the future. thanks,
Where I live you had to pass an extensive background check. The investigation included friends, neighbors, former school teachers, and places of employment. Had to pass a very tough written test with math problems, also was interviewed by a high ranking officer in another city. Today you have to have a college diploma and pass a tough physical test. Then you go to school with tests every Friday, after you graduate you are on probation for a year. We were not allowed to work by ourselves for 6 months, and another six months before we could work by our selves at night.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 17,731 times
Default Background Check

Quote:
I would like to become a police officer oneday, some of my friends stated that you must pass an extensive background investigation and be free of any felony conviction. Anyone know (websites) or how to find out about your own record. I dont have a felony conviction, just a few parking tickets, just want to know what I have on the record and to see if I should apply in the future. thanks,

You can find [URL="http://www.hiresafe.com/hs_forum/yaf_postst1_What-does-a-Background-Check-consist-of.aspx/"]Background Screening information here![/URL]

Old 07-09-2011, 04:04 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,885,583 times
If your background is clean, your biggest threat would probably be the lie detector test. It is extensively used, in fact I have not heard of any departments that don't use it. The big thing that disqualifies people is drug use. Experimental use is considered an automatic DQ in almost every department except a few in Texas. And yes, they will ask.

My dad's friend is a police officer in Detroit, and he basically told me they want to replace many of the well paid experienced officers with new recruits. Only problem is, they can't find too many that can pass the background check, and it's mainly drug use that is DQing potential candidates. 3 joints is enough to DQ you in Detroit.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 17,516 times
I am a Former TSA officer and I made a mistake on the job during my probation i was not fired but I was suspended and later asked to resign I am currently being processed to be a nypd school safety agent will my suspension factor into me getting hired and will it matter if i explain to my investigator the details im pretty worried because im going through a hard time financially since losing my job and dont want to miss a good oppurtunity to bounce back

Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Parking tickets don't give anyone a criminal record.

A long time ago in Harris County(TX) one of my jobs was doing background checks on prospective officers. The main part of the investigation was running them through NCIC looking for prior arrests and convictions. NCIC doesn't care about parking tickets. Then there were psychological test and interviews.

If you have a criminal record, it would be highly unusual for you to not KNOW there was a problem.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Parking tickets don't give anyone a criminal record.

A long time ago in Harris County(TX) one of my jobs was doing background checks on prospective officers. The main part of the investigation was running them through NCIC looking for prior arrests and convictions. NCIC doesn't care about parking tickets. Then there were psychological test and interviews.

If you have a criminal record, it would be highly unusual for you to not KNOW there was a problem.
A guy I used to work with decided to become a police officer, and he was telling us that there were people with him who started in the academy but were expelled as their background checks came in. One had done some jail time and another had been busted for dealing drugs. I guess they didn't think anyone was REALLY going to check!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 AM

488 posts, read 554,629 times
Quote:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've been in more trouble than just parking tickets. Did you let the tickets go to warrant and you got arrested? Were you arrested or given a ticket for something when you were a minor and you wonder if it's still on your record?

Honesty is key in getting hired. If you lie about your background, or even try to downplay something to make it sound less serious, you will not be hired. Not only will you be disqualified from that department for life, but you will never be hireable at any department. No department will hire a proven liar because that person would have no credibility in court and therefor would be useless as an officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search