Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

The bigger hardware stores and big box home stores like Home Depot and Lowe's always seem to have older people working there. I suppose they could be retired from the trades, but you might give it a try. It seems like you could do well selling major appliances or kitchen cabinets/countertops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 08:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a 62yo male with 18+ years of retail management experience and much longer in terms of customer service, yet have been unable for nearly two years to land an in-person interview for a part-time retail job or even a temporary seasonal position. I'm officially out of ideas as I've tweaked my resume and omitted any experiences past 10 years ago. It largely reeks of age discrimination but have been told good luck with that, despite having been rejected after my lone virtual interview for a larger retailer a couple days ago. Ideas or suggestions?
At 62, are you looking to boost your income or are you merely looking for something to keep you busy?

If you're looking to boost the income, consider looking into AARP. They list part time jobs around the country. If you're looking to keep busy, I'm sure you'll find a part time job suited for a senior looking to stay busy.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:45 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
Apply to a bank. Most banks have testing online and once you jump through a couple of hurdles, you will get an interview. It will take time though. So many people don't pass the tests, it's a way for them to weed out candidates.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:07 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The bigger hardware stores and big box home stores like Home Depot and Lowe's always seem to have older people working there. I suppose they could be retired from the trades, but you might give it a try. It seems like you could do well selling major appliances or kitchen cabinets/countertops.
Department sales generally requires experience in the related field and often the respective certification. General cashier/csr does not.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:31 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a 62yo male with 18+ years of retail management experience and much longer in terms of customer service, yet have been unable for nearly two years to land an in-person interview for a part-time retail job or even a temporary seasonal position. I'm officially out of ideas as I've tweaked my resume and omitted any experiences past 10 years ago. It largely reeks of age discrimination but have been told good luck with that, despite having been rejected after my lone virtual interview for a larger retailer a couple days ago. Ideas or suggestions?

Try Sam's club, they hired my huib 2 years ago at age 63. He worked the floor but is now running the dock unloading trucks. They trained him on 5 fork lifts.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Department sales generally requires experience in the related field and often the respective certification. General cashier/csr does not.
If you can breath and count to one, home depot will hire you.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:51 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,278,576 times
I saw a guy at a tool store chain who must have been 90 years old or nearly so. He had just been hired. Had no clue what he was doing. The OP can probably climb the ladder quickly if he's willing to start low. Most of the people at big box stores have no clue.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:54 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
So OP, what have you decided to do?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
If you can breath and count to one, home depot will hire you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I saw a guy at a tool store chain who must have been 90 years old or nearly so. He had just been hired. Had no clue what he was doing. The OP can probably climb the ladder quickly if he's willing to start low. Most of the people at big box stores have no clue.

So that many 55+ yr old elderly people still have good backs, knees, (meaning their actual body parts) &/or are in that good a physical condition?! I'd assume all these hardware stores make their employees do a lot of heavy lifting, unloading, bending, stooping, etc. of all those big, heavy products. Forklifts & pallets aren't used for everything. They still do a lot of floor loads.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:08 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
HD always have a greeter type of person to answer questions like where is this and where is that?
During 2000s meltdown,they have one old guy and one young guy both working together at the entrance,I am sure they dont need two.
Yesterday I went to HD for duping keys,a lady told me the machine broke so go to Fiesta or WMT,funny she did not say LOWE,I went to LOWE instead.
Once in Manhattan,an 90 years old who have been shopping at the same store for many many years and know where everything is,he lost his savings so they hire him as the man who can tell you where everything is.
People help each other,thats what we are.

Old 11-27-2022, 10:44 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
So OP, what have you decided to do?

So that many 55+ yr old elderly people still have good backs, knees, (meaning their actual body parts) &/or are in that good a physical condition?! I'd assume all these hardware stores make their employees do a lot of heavy lifting, unloading, bending, stooping, etc. of all those big, heavy products. Forklifts & pallets aren't used for everything. They still do a lot of floor loads.
A greeter/cashier is not a loader/stocker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search