Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 11:12 AM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
HD always have a greeter type of person to answer questions like where is this and where is that?
During 2000s meltdown,they have one old guy and one young guy both working together at the entrance,I am sure they dont need two.
Yesterday I went to HD for duping keys,a lady told me the machine broke so go to Fiesta or WMT,funny she did not say LOWE,I went to LOWE instead.
Once in Manhattan,an 90 years old who have been shopping at the same store for many many years and know where everything is,he lost his savings so they hire him as the man who can tell you where everything is.
People help each other,thats what we are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
A greeter/cashier is not a loader/stocker.

OK & I know Costco & probably Sam's Club too has a greeter at their entrance. I see a greeter in a wheelchair in our Costco location checking people's Costco cards, so that's the perfect job for him.

However, each store can't hire that many greeters. What are there, maybe only 2 so each one can actually have their full 40 hrs/wk pay? So the chances are very slim that you'd have a nice, full-time job as solely a store greeter.

ALSO, like at Walmart, I see a greeter there too, but I'm quite positive that's not all they do for 8 hrs a day. They rotate w/ other employees doing other duties, so I'm sure some of those other duties involve some manual labor, so if you have a bad back, knee, or something (but of course nowhere near severe enough to be on disability), you still can't do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 11:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,236,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a 62yo male with 18+ years of retail management experience and much longer in terms of customer service, yet have been unable for nearly two years to land an in-person interview for a part-time retail job or even a temporary seasonal position. I'm officially out of ideas as I've tweaked my resume and omitted any experiences past 10 years ago. It largely reeks of age discrimination but have been told good luck with that, despite having been rejected after my lone virtual interview for a larger retailer a couple days ago. Ideas or suggestions?
There's age discrimination, and there's being over-qualified.

In any line of work, employers only need *just* enough experience. Anything more than that, they just view applicants as an extra cost they don't need.

If you aren't even getting interviews, the problem is in your resume. If you can't see it, ask someone younger than you to review it and see if there are flags that reveal your age. Things like objective statements, two spaces after sentences, yahoo or hotmail (or worse, aol) email addresses....these things always date a person. Don't overdress for interviews, even virtual ones. You may have to 'dumb down' your experience ("10 years experience" rather than 18+).

And what are you doing to get out of retail sales? Retail sales is dying, so even in this worker's economy, there are fewer and fewer positions....and even fewer management jobs.

What have you been doing for the past two years, and how does that appear on your resume? Even if you haven't been paid, you can list yourself as a dog walker, life coach, personal assistant, freelance photographer, etc. Look at what you spend your day doing, and consider how those activities could be described as a job (whether or not you get paid is another matter).

Old 11-27-2022, 12:03 PM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
From what I have seen, retail companies are begging for help. You can even name your own hours. There is more to this story.....

Old 11-29-2022, 06:12 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Apply to a bank. Most banks have testing online and once you jump through a couple of hurdles, you will get an interview. It will take time though. So many people don't pass the tests, it's a way for them to weed out candidates.
Have you been to a bank lately? In my area all the drive through lanes are gone, permanently closed. Bank of America closed 3 branches within a 10 mile radius.

I would say working at a bank is going to be like saying "get a job at Blockbuster Video" pretty soon.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:15 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a 62yo male with 18+ years of retail management experience and much longer in terms of customer service, yet have been unable for nearly two years to land an in-person interview for a part-time retail job or even a temporary seasonal position. I'm officially out of ideas as I've tweaked my resume and omitted any experiences past 10 years ago. It largely reeks of age discrimination but have been told good luck with that, despite having been rejected after my lone virtual interview for a larger retailer a couple days ago. Ideas or suggestions?
Is there a salary/hourly minimum you require? Like you put something on your resume in the 50K+ range and the job pays $17 an hour = no call/response back.

Have you visited a store in person, asked the manager if he is hiring?

Old 11-29-2022, 06:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
OP did not say where he is?may be he lives in a small town which does not have supercenters and so there is no greeters.
My hair dresser told me sometimes he would work for AMZN for last mile delivery,you need a smart phone to find those jobs .
OP also said he is disabled,can he drive,can he stand being on his feet for 8 hours?
Does he speak Spanish?
Some would distribute newspaper, it is hard work,you have to go to pick up the papers in the middle of the night like 3 am,take them to a quiet place and put them together,sections by sections and then deliver them to homes/businesses.
Pay is good,but work is not easy,she gets good tips around Xmas

Old 12-05-2022, 07:45 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Have you been to a bank lately? In my area all the drive through lanes are gone, permanently closed. Bank of America closed 3 branches within a 10 mile radius.

I would say working at a bank is going to be like saying "get a job at Blockbuster Video" pretty soon.

Bank of America shunned millions of decades-long customers like me when they made a $1000 minimum checking balance so I hope they close all of their lanes, doors and windows and rot in their suits.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,747 times
59 with a 25 year IT career and seriously considering dumbing my resume down to pursue a non-IT role. Interviews are sparse and this doesn't help things much: https://www.resumebuilder.com/1-in-6...ing-white-men/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search