Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 02:39 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Just about all of my job interviews occurred while I was already employed full time. Very few people stay in the same job for their entire career. Potential employers know this, so they go ahead and propose the interview. Remember what gets repeated here ad nauseum: candidates who are already employed tend to have the upper hand over those who aren't. Employers also know if a candidate really wants the job, they'll find a way to make an interview possible. If they don't really want the job they won't. Initiative and ingenuity.

I've never found this all that difficult. Arrange to take an early or later lunch, arrange to come in earlier in the morning or stay later in the afternoon, request personal time, even sick time. If you can't travel to a face-to-face interview there are alternatives...facetime, skype, etc. The interview won't take up an entire day, maybe an hour or two?

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-04-2022 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 02:49 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,746,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
If I'm contacted for interivews when I already have a job, I try my best to schedule it around my current job's hrs & I'm pretty much always able to do it. If the new job can't do it, I'll really see if I want to tk a day off or some time off from current job. It depends on how badly I want this new job, if I plan on this one replacing the job I have, etc.
Even when I was unemployed, I dont ever remember someone calling and asking can I come in the next day. I think I lost interest after that

Old 12-04-2022, 02:52 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Even when I was unemployed, I dont ever remember someone calling and asking can I come in the next day. I think I lost interest after that

Yes, I can't remember a time when a propective job wanted me to interview w/ them the very next day.

Old 12-04-2022, 02:54 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
that makes no sense, what if you woke up with a fever? Puking? You would call in sick. You dont want this new job if you arent really trying.
Get caught faking it and lose your current job for the pleasure of interviewing with the new one? If they won't work with you.. move on. They aren't worth it.

Old 12-04-2022, 02:57 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Strange. Can't say I've ever dismissed a potential job just because they wanted to interview on short notice. They may have had another candidate cancel or take another job at the last minute. The hiring world moves fast. Guess it's your loss OP, not the interviewer's. They'll just move on to the next candidate. As I wrote before, if you don't really want the job, you won't expend the effort to make things work. IIRC, flexibility tends to be a desirable trait in an employee.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-04-2022 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 03:29 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,896,920 times
Quote:
Yes, I can't remember a time when a propective job wanted me to interview w/ them the very next day.
Same. I'd assume they're a high turnover place if they're like that, or just greatly disorganized.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:35 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Since I am close to having a day off, I wanted to hold off on sick days for now just in case its a 2nd and 3rd interview. It looks corny to be sick 3 times in one month
Honestly, having 3 in-person interviews on separate days is poor taste, IMO. They should be flexible in some way - allow some of them to be after hours or over the phone, for instance.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:28 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
I did have one for the day after the next day (2 day notice), and I was able to take advantage of my then-current job's flexible hours to make it happen. If I had an inflexible job and had to schedule an in-person interview, I would come up with some exaggeration (if I needed to pick up meds from a pharmacy, I would say I needed 3 hours off to "solve a medication issue", I would spend 20 mins getting the meds and the other 2.5 hours with the interview. Or say I needed to do "car maintenance" for checking the oil level, which takes 5 minutes, then spend the remaining time on the interview. So, generally, combine it with some personal errand that is easy to exaggerate.)

With my current job, I said I had a "medical appointment" when I had to take about 1.5 hours off work to get my urine drug test for the employment pre-screening.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,962 times
Employers are busy. The next day may have been the only chance all the managers were going to be in the office before the end of the year. I wouldn't read much into that.

If you are looking for a new job while still employed, you are going to have to get used to using 'doctor's appointments' or sick days to do interviews. Unless you have a job that allows you to take days off during the week (hospitality or entertainment, for example) or determine your own schedule (like sales).

Old 12-10-2022, 11:24 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,746,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Employers are busy. The next day may have been the only chance all the managers were going to be in the office before the end of the year. I wouldn't read much into that.

If you are looking for a new job while still employed, you are going to have to get used to using 'doctor's appointments' or sick days to do interviews. Unless you have a job that allows you to take days off during the week (hospitality or entertainment, for example) or determine your own schedule (like sales).
Since I had a day off that was only 5 days away I didnt want to use a sick day. The plan was to use a sick day if there was a 2nd interview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search