Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 08:34 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

The GA address isn't even your legal address. You might want to get a virtual local number. If you're planning on moving for the job, definitely put that first.

Yes, not being in the general area is always going to be a bit of a negative, but it can be worked through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 08:46 AM

7,073 posts, read 4,514,055 times
When we lived in upstate New York and wanted to move to Wisconsin we sent out 200 resumes and stated that we would be coming to Wisconsin for 2 weeks to interview. I put this in the cover letter. We lined up the interviews and went back. Took one of the positions and said we would need 2 more weeks to drive back and pack up and move. I think it’s best to be honest.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:54 AM

377 posts, read 274,162 times
It depends on experience. If its a higher paying position that requires a in demand skill set, then it won't matter much. But in general you will get passed over. What I did was either lied about my address or put on my cover letter that I can relocate immediately and at my own expense. Otherwise you will get passed over.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:15 AM

74 posts, read 61,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Also depends on what field you are in . If you are in IT, many jobs today are fully remote so they wouldn't care where you lived. I'd probably stick with your New York address for now to keep you from getting tangled up during initial discussions.
I am not in IT, although I have been thinking of taking a boot camp to learn some coding and analytics.
I think it's useful in a lot of fields.
I am older but don't think that would detract from my success.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:17 AM

74 posts, read 61,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When we lived in upstate New York and wanted to move to Wisconsin we sent out 200 resumes and stated that we would be coming to Wisconsin for 2 weeks to interview. I put this in the cover letter. We lined up the interviews and went back. Took one of the positions and said we would need 2 more weeks to drive back and pack up and move. I think it’s best to be honest.
That's a good idea.
I suppose now with Zoom they can do virtual first round of interviews.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:16 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
When I was relocating, I put the address of my new location. I told recruiters I was in the process of relocating. It was not an issue because I did not need relocation assistance.

I did not receive one call when I used an out of state address.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:02 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
I think I did it a total of 4 times, include once when I was living outside of the US at the bottom of the world!

Was living and working down in Antarctica, got a job in North Carolina.

Was living and working in Arizona, got a job in South Carolina.

Was living and working in South Carolina, got a job in Iowa.

Was living and working in Iowa, got a job in Maryland.

All of those were in the last 12 years, all my interviews were either done online (Zoom, Teams, Skype, Webex, etc.) or via the phone.

I work in science and research. Like others said, it really depends on your field. I usually include a cover letter and a CV/Resume with my current/actual address. In the cover letter, I state at the very end I am willing to relocate in a certain time frame (ASAP, one month, two months, etc.).

The best part is when I got the jobs and started looking for apartments online and the complex would be like, hey do want to stop by and check out available apartments this Saturday, and I was like, yeah that's not going to happen.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2023, 08:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 785,461 times
I was thinking about moving to NC a few years ago and i filled out an application and they interview me on Microsoft teams and phone calls. I explained the whole thing and they offered to drug test me and do a physical in my home state.

The problem was they wanted me to start asap.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:54 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times
I'm in the same boat. Would love to relocate to either North Carolina or The DC area. But I want relocation assistance. I go on other sites and read about all these great relocation packages people are getting.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Would love to relocate... ...read about all these great relocation packages
For those who get them ... how do they qualify? Do that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search