Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 02:25 PM

23 posts, read 18,834 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I did not pass the initial interview and did receive good feedback from the recruiter on the interview. Can I ask to be re-interviewed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 03:05 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
You can ask, but the answer will be "no." If they reinterview you, they have to reinterview everyone else who didn't make it. Nor is it fair to the people who passed the interview.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In all the years I have been a hiring manager no one has asked for another chance, but if they did, the answer would be no, and that's at 4 different employers. "Good feedback" doesn't mean that you were even close. There have been cases where I interviewed 12-20 people and had several candidates that had really good interviews, but then someone else came along that blew them out of the water. For most employers it's critical top treat all candidates the same, if only to avoid a lawsuit. That means the same questions, same amount of time given, and following the same rules.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:00 PM

ok thanks for the feedback. Since I received the response from the recruiter, should I send the job rejection email response to the recruiter or the hiring manager. In your experience, if I fail an interview, does the company consider you for other positions?

Old 06-21-2023, 09:09 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyellen View Post
ok thanks for the feedback. Since I received the response from the recruiter, should I send the job rejection email response to the recruiter or the hiring manager. In your experience, if I fail an interview, does the company consider you for other positions?
If they're impressed with your skill set, yes.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:12 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
I don't understand what the first part means. If you were not selected to move on, why do you have to send anything to anyone?

Apply for whatever job vacancies that you think you are qualified for.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:56 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
OP, usually, when a candidate did not pass the interview, they are usually not considered for additional positions within the company. Your mileage will vary.

Continue to look and stay positive. Companies are all different, they look for different skills and a “fit” for their specific needs and company culture. A job interview is similar to going out on a date, both parties are trying to determine if any potential future relationship will be mutually beneficial.

These situations are merely minor setbacks, you will overcome them in time. You will learn from them and they will make you stronger.

Last edited by ccm123; 06-22-2023 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 05:05 PM

Sorry I meant to say when I received good feedback it was constructive. Would it be okay to ask the recruiter where I stood? i.e was I last out of 20, etc?

Old 06-22-2023, 07:34 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Sorry I meant to say when I received good feedback it was constructive. Would it be okay to ask the recruiter where I stood? i.e was I last out of 20, etc?
I’d let it go. When I was involved with hiring we selected 3 to 5 people out of the people we interviewed to forward to the selecting official. But we didn’t rank the others.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:46 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
IMO, I would let it go and move on.

If you want/need feedback to improve for future interviews, you can certainly ask.

Unsuccessful interviews can be utilized as a tool to learn what aspects may not be going well during interviews and help you to improve for future interviews. You usually will not receive constructive, improvement oriented feedback if an interview went well and was successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search