Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Turned down today for another job. A job that had me back within a day of the first interview to meet the owner! Reason being...my qualifications and answers to questions??? Why even bother with someone if you know right off the bat that the experience they are looking for isn't there? I spent an hour and a half on both interviews discussing everything under the sun....why waste our time and energy???!!
That is annoying!!!

Sorry to hear about, it though. Is this the job where they wanted you to come in and "work" for a little? (I think that is a good idea ... in some ways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 25,769 times
Ok man i got something for ya. I TOTALLY agree with ya and i feel the same. i work freelance so i have interviews ALL THE TIME about 1 to 3 a month depending on how long my gigs last. I hate interviews. i am fake as well. but what i would love to do is not real so you will probably only get a laugh out of it and nothing more.

the BEST thing in the world to do would be to go to Gilligan's Island. I mean that would be sweet! I would never have to go to interviews cuz my job would be eating coconuts and hanging out with Ginger and Mary-Ann !!!!

thats my advice. go to Gilligan's Island and don't ever come back.

haha

love life man. PEACE

Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
That is annoying!!!

Sorry to hear about, it though. Is this the job where they wanted you to come in and "work" for a little? (I think that is a good idea ... in some ways).
Hi golddust. The work part of the day gig is Tuesday, which is looking a whole lot better today than yesterday!

Gilligan's Island? What are you smokin' friend?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I absolutely hate when you can't find out the pay until the end of the interview. My biggest pet peeve is employers who don't put this info out there up front. I do mostly clerical, and while most "decent" jobs pay $10 to 12 an hour, there are many out there who are trying to get folks with experience and lots of skills for $6 an hour! Ridiculous. I can't feed my kids on that... why waste everyone's time being secretive about the pay?

Ditto the hours. There are some shifts that I just cannot do with the kid's schedules. Why be so freakin' evasive about the hours?

My last interview for my last job had soooo many involved questions. She wanted to know my skill level for every possible program out there (Excel, Word, Power Point).. and it was so dumb, because the job (I got it) was a job a monkey could do and only really required common sense and some very basic typing and computer skills. Basically if you could type 40 wpm and use the internet and "sort" information by a certain criteria, you could do the job. So why all those questions about Word and Excel when I never used either and never would have even if I'd stayed for a decade? Why?? It's crazy. Especially when you start the job and find out that the the number one indicator of success is not how well you performed, but how well you were able to schmooze and bs with the team leader.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,720 times
Most employers in large public sector organisations already have decided who they are going to employ and the interview process is just a procedural formality. I do not know why there are questionnaires about disability, gender, sexual orientation etc prior to interview because they'd just make something up if they want to. If you are in a protected group, do not expect any fairness. They will do all they can to make excuses not to employ you and they will even lie about what you said at interview as I have found out. This is why so many disabled people remain unemployed.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Fakeness doesn't end at the interview. Just about all of the people I work with on a daily basis come across as incredibly fake.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM

398 posts, read 698,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Fakeness doesn't end at the interview. Just about all of the people I work with on a daily basis come across as incredibly fake.
Yup I'd be one of 'em! Some advice for clerical jobs: I'm a generally pessimistic, bored person so I have to "perk" myself up for the job everyday. Somewhat tiring, until it gets to be 3pm and you finally decide to look "dumb" so that people just stop expecting for the day. And my line of work tends to hire perky individuals so yes, one must look and act the part (emphasis on act). The dumb thing does tend to work too if you're kind of unsocial and just want people to stop the coffee klatch and just leave you alone to do actual work.

You will know when you're hired for the way you act, just give it a thought during the interview. What did the interviewers ask you to prove, or ask you about? Is this job similar to your last/current job, and what was expected of you there? So when you start fresh, and you find your boss slowly taking over your job because they can't handle someone else making decisions, just roll with it. Take on the persona. But make sure you get out on-time every day because not only is it mentally/emotionally taxing to become someone else, but you might start to forget who you are, or how competent you really are, if you spend too much time there.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I cannot begin to tell you how little regard I have for "job interviews." They are so full of spin, BS and other tripe completely devoid of relevance to the job. One of the worse experiences in my life was sitting in on a technical interview and asking relevant technical questions. I then watched as they picked the best BSer and skipped over the individual who was by far the most qualified. The next month was pure H#ll as the moron broke equipment, reported bad results, and in general cost tens of thousands in damage and lost time that I had to help clean up.

I will not have anyone working in my lab who is picked by HR or on the basis of stupid interview questions.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM

70 posts, read 238,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
PG,

It sucks. I don't not envy anyone that can go to wlrk day in and day out for thesake of "paying bills". I'm 34 years old and I refuse to go through my life like that. I hope I live a long time, so I need to get another game plan because this jumping through hoops bullsh#t is not working!
I completely agree! I'm 28 and got sick of a job that made me miserable for 3 years. I quit to take some courses and adjust my career. Of course, now I'm going through the interview process which is awful - like you I don't BS and it's probably affecting my chances of getting hired.

What would you like to do with your life?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 PM

247 posts, read 751,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
YES! I feel the same way. I am horrible at BSing. I hate interviews. I am a real and practical person. I don't like to sit there and talk about what I do, I like to DO. I hate it when people can go on for hours, talking about themselves. I have no interest in doing that and torturing anyone. lol
The world does not cater to introverts. unfortunately. Someone being able to BS on their feet is valued compared to someone who would rather think about the question. People that can talk out of their ass rule the world.
BSing is a good quality to a lot of employers.

I work with someone who can talk about how awesome she does things all day long. She turns tasks that most people do without even blinking into "I'm so awesome, it was rocket science but I pushed through with flying colors." "I ran that place by doing ____, ____, ___" (she was a receptionist but will make herself sound like a CEO). In reality, everyone that has ever worked with her says she talks to much & she's lazy. But, the girl can sell herself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
In some ways I'd almost rather skip the interview and just let them try me out for a week as an employee, heck I'll even work that week for free. If they like me then bring me on with a salary, and if they don't like me or I don't like the job then goodbye.

Interviews have definitely gotten old and trying to impress people is never fun.
I've always said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search