Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's true.

If you receive 50 applications at least 10 will have the same top ranked qualifications which leaves only the subjective.
Yeah that's what I tell my students because a lot of people think interviews are mostly about telling them what you KNOW and not about who you are as a person.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
if they call and say what did i do wrong, they are not asking for help they are looking for a fight and wana play pin the tail on the donkey. btw its "too" short not "to" short.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Over and over again, I see that you white posters, think that Affirmative Action discriminates against you. Just because a person of color was hired over you, doesn't mean that it was due to Affirmative Action. You need to realize, it could have been because the person of color, had better skills, and was better suited for the job.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
When I worked in Human Resources years ago, I very polite and use to send a rejection letter to all applicants who interviewed but were not hired. Because my name was on the letter many people would call me and beg for advice and ask what they did wrong during the interview so they were not hired. Of course I could not tell them officially. Every once in a while I would tell them if they really did something wrong but it would usually get me in trouble when they would call up my boss and say I said mean things to them or were discriminating against them.

In most cases they did not do anything wrong and they interviewed just fine. But they were the wrong age, color, personality, sex, race, to tall, to short, to fat, to perky, to quiet, to aggressive or to passive. Most of the hiring decision were totally subjective because the majority of the people who were brought in for interviews had similar on paper skills and education.

NO, YOU DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG IN YOUR LAST INTERVIEW. Other than being your self!
People on this board are always complaing they don't hear back. I can understand if you went through multiple rounds of interviews I think you deserve a call back but to these people who think everyone who submitted a resume needs to be contacted is a little silly, especially if you didn't even get an interview.

This is the exact type of thing that will happen when they do get back to everyone. As the HR person you are not these people's job coach, career counselor, etc. Not only is it a headache having people wanting explainations it could also be a liability if they take your words the wrong way or if you say something wrong. All the suden they want to sue the company for not hiring them.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In my experience in hiring, the most common answer if asked, would be that
someone else was better qualified. That is the case in 99% of the people I have hired. Most recently we received over 100 applications for one opening,
have interviewed 6 and 4 more to go. Based solely on the resumes 2 stand out, however the interviews and work sample project can change the ranking. The 90 or so people that won't get an interview will get a standard form letter telling them that they did not meet the minimum requirements.
If they follow up with a call they will be told the same thing. I do not accept such calls, HR handles them, and do not have time to counsel applicants.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Over and over again, I see that you white posters, think that Affirmative Action discriminates against you. Just because a person of color was hired over you, doesn't mean that it was due to Affirmative Action. You need to realize, it could have been because the person of color, had better skills, and was better suited for the job.
Why erect a thread that is 2-3 years old unless you want to cause trouble?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
In my experience in hiring, the most common answer if asked, would be that
someone else was better qualified. That is the case in 99% of the people I have hired. Most recently we received over 100 applications for one opening,
have interviewed 6 and 4 more to go. Based solely on the resumes 2 stand out, however the interviews and work sample project can change the ranking. The 90 or so people that won't get an interview will get a standard form letter telling them that they did not meet the minimum requirements.
If they follow up with a call they will be told the same thing. I do not accept such calls, HR handles them, and do not have time to counsel applicants.
Sounds like you have tons of applicants. In this job market, it may be too much to ask, to expect HR people to have the time to contact every applicant, who was rejected.

By the way, if some posters think that I'm wrong to post on an 'old' thread, then why are they posting on this thread also? It's only posters who follow others from thread to thread with personal attacks, who cause trouble. NOT me.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have tons of applicants. In this job market, it may be too much to ask, to expect HR people to have the time to contact every applicant, who was rejected.

By the way, if some posters think that I'm wrong to post on an 'old' thread, then why are they posting on this thread also? It's only posters who follow others from thread to thread with personal attacks, who cause trouble. NOT me.
Race baiting is only meant to cause trouble. You had to go back years just to race bait. How lame. And in the employment forums of all places. Maybe some folk should GET A JOB rather than spending time trolling.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
And keep in mind that in some companies, HR doesn't do the hiring, it's left up to the hiring manager who in addition to having to hire someoneone, also has a department to run.

I barely had the time to review all the resumes the last time I had to hire someone (in fact I'd say I never looked at half of them because they either didn't come with a cover letter, or came with one that was either full of poor grammar or didn't engage me.) let alone take the time to make a personal response to each one.

I sent a personal email to everyone I did a phoner with who didn't make the cut, and called the people I interviewed in person who didn't get the job. One asked what it would have taken to get the offer, and I was honest and said that they were great, but the person I hired had a skill set more closely aligned with some specific pieces of the particular position I was hiring for.

I might have another position coming open this summer, and if the "runner-up" is still interested, I'd like to bring them onboard for that somewhat different position that I think they'd be a better fit for.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Just because a person of color was hired over you, doesn't mean that it was due to Affirmative Action. You need to realize, it could have been because the person of color, had better skills, and was better suited for the job.
And just because someone was fired from a job, it doesn't mean that it was due to the color of their socks or some silly, "flimsy" reason. One needs to realize it could have been that they were not a good employee, had lackluster skills, and was not well suited for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search