Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

I've tried both, but now I have taken the word volunteer off and just list the organization names, what my title is, and dates. Is this a good idea or not? I've taken some flack on another forum for even being a volunteer saying employers think it's worthless so thought I'd ask here.

I figure when (and if) I get a phone call that is when the word volunteer can come up - either that or when I fill out the application.

It shows I have not just been kicking back watching Oprah all this time now and also that I CAN show up each week for three years at one place and a year at another (which I do plan to give a two week notice today).

What would you do and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
If I were responding to your resume and discovered you had listed a volunteer gig as employment I would discontinue pursuing you b/c I would find your presentation as deceptive UNLESS you clearly indicated the position was unpaid.

You might just add another section of "Additional Engagements" on your resume to include unpaid internships, apprenticeships and volunteer jobs -- and w/i your job summary you can indicate the schedule you kept to demonstrate the kind of time you put in to that work.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
That is better if the application list organization to are a part of really or added at the bottom of resume for certan type professions really that such experince is vlued. It isn;t a jobunless you were a paidn professional .

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Unpaid work experience is still work experience and should be listed on the resume. If they ask tell them. If the app says list salary put it there.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is better if the application list organization to are a part of really or added at the bottom of resume for certan type professions really that such experince is vlued. It isn;t a jobunless you were a paidn professional .
I can tell you are using a virtual keypad (iphone, ipad, BB?)...... your typing looks like mine when I'm on my ipad....

Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I work in human services, and we tend to value it highly when people have done volunteer work. Those I know who work in big Fortune 500 companies often see it as valuable too (especially companies that publicly advocate for all their epople to do volunteer work, or those with charitable foundations).

Whether it's in the employment section or a separate section for volunteer work, just make sure it's clear that it was voluntary.

The only time I would see volunteer experience as "worthless" is if it appeared that it was just to benefit the person "volunteering," like if you "volunteered" at a golf club in order to play for free.

But if you did volunteer work that actually involved helping people, animals, or the community, then how can that be seen as worthless? People going out of their way to do something helpful without being paid in return--that says a lot about a candidate.

If it's "volunteer work" for one day only, like walkathon, or a day of service required by your college or high school, then leave it off. But ongoing volunteer work, where you showed up week after week after week and did something productive (and you weren't court-ordered to do so) is impressive in my book.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I work in human services, and we tend to value it highly when people have done volunteer work. Those I know who work in big Fortune 500 companies often see it as valuable too (especially companies that publicly advocate for all their epople to do volunteer work, or those with charitable foundations).

Whether it's in the employment section or a separate section for volunteer work, just make sure it's clear that it was voluntary.

The only time I would see volunteer experience as "worthless" is if it appeared that it was just to benefit the person "volunteering," like if you "volunteered" at a golf club in order to play for free.

But if you did volunteer work that actually involved helping people, animals, or the community, then how can that be seen as worthless? People going out of their way to do something helpful without being paid in return--that says a lot about a candidate.

If it's "volunteer work" for one day only, like walkathon, or a day of service required by your college or high school, then leave it off. But ongoing volunteer work, where you showed up week after week after week and did something productive (and you weren't court-ordered to do so) is impressive in my book.
Well, thank you very much! I was feeling a bit dejected after reading some of the responses (and remembering back to this guy who said my volunteering was "laughable" on another employment site) so I've been a bit down. It helps to know that it's seen as valuable.

One place I've been at since 2008 week after week after week unless something has come up. I use the computer and my Spanish speaking skills and it's high volume working with the public. The other I've been at for a year teaching the homeless independent living skills week after week. The exceptions have been when my dad died and when I had contractors in my house.

I will include it under experience, since half the time I apply for non-profit jobs anyway and I will put the word Volunteer back on there.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
In NJ, for many mental health jobs, the licensing regulations that govern our programs explicitly say that volunteer work in the field counts as experience.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In NJ, for many mental health jobs, the licensing regulations that govern our programs explicitly say that volunteer work in the field counts as experience.
Well, that is even better news! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search