Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

"we will call you in a week" or "we will let you know in a week" usually means we like you but you don't stand out, so have no expectations after you hear that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
This sucks! I must agree with all of you...cause my husband has been interviewing for a couple of months now and many companies just like to play waiting games and donn't hurry up and either say "yes" or "no". A lot of them just say "we will call you back in about a week" and then nothing...very bad way to treat potential employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 PM

This poster is correct. I agree with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I agree....look, if you are not hired on the spot, or you don't get told you are getting a second interview then just forget it. If you ever hear "well I have a few more to interview today before I make a decision, then just forget it, your not in.

Don't get the brush off. You have noting to lose. Ask if you qualify for the position, and then ask for the job or at least the 2nd interview. If they go all ho hum on you and tell you they will call, THEY NEVER WILL.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
This sucks! I must agree with all of you...cause my husband has been interviewing for a couple of months now and many companies just like to play waiting games and donn't hurry up and either say "yes" or "no". A lot of them just say "we will call you back in about a week" and then nothing...very bad way to treat potential employees.
You have to know that they are NOT playing waiting games. Your husband simply did not impress the potential boss. Its that simple. employers don't usually mess around when they find someone good. They know if someone is that good, that they dont have weeks, they may not even have hours. Go to a job fair, they usually have interview shops. Make sure your interviewer knows that you have some possible opportunities, whether you do or not. Its ups your stock. Also, let them know you need to know right there and then if your hired or get a date for the 2nd interview. DO NOT LEAVE WITH OUT something solid. Nothing solid, and go home, sit by yourself in a quiet room and figure out how you could have done better. If your not off to take the drug test that afternoon, you are probably not going to be looking for your parking spot in that parking lot anytime soon.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,521 times
I have learned that some of the big companies here will send you a rejection letter if they are interested, but you didn't get the job. They want you to apply again next time. If you hear nothing, applying again will waste your time. (There are hundreds and hundreds of applications for one vacancy that is an outstanding opportunity.)

I'm a writer, and I've learned that if they are interested in your work, but it's not quite up to par or not what they need at the moment, you will get a personal rejection letter, and sometimes even suggestions. Most people get form rejections.

So, simply not calling could be rude, but it could also be a way to get you to go away. In today's society, I'd lean toward "rude".

Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 AM

266 posts, read 1,108,337 times
I was interviewing for a great job, had three interviews and they were down to the last 3 candidates for 2 positions. I did not get the job. But...the hiring manager called me a week later and said that she really liked me and wanted to bring me on to her team. She said she had a position opening up due to someone getting a promotion. She asked me to call her every week and keep in touch, so I gladly did. This is a large, well known and respected company and I was dying to work there.

So each week, I made it a point to call her or email. We had many long and positive conversations, emails, etc. and things were moving along. Then, she suddenly stopped returning messages. I called her one day and she picked up and then quickly told me she was on a conference call and that she would call me back in a few minutes. She was really quick to hang up, and I never heard from her again.

I mean, how more rude can you get? She had me on the phone, all she needed to say was that things were not working out or whatever. Instead she makes up a lie that she's on the phone and hangs up? She pursued me! I had already let the job go the first time, but she stirred my hopes up and boy did she string me along...FOR SIX WEEKS!

I sent her an email, asking her to please just let me know either way, figuring it would be easy for her to respond in writing. Less personal. And since we had talked so much, it seemed okay. And she never even bothered to send me an email. What a JERK, I am glad I don't work for her.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:21 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
My husband gets a lot of phone interviews (long distance job hunting) that end with "we'll be calling you in 24-48 hours to set up your next interview" which is supposed to be either another phone interview or an in-person. Even the local jobs he's after work this way, it seems.

Well, he's had a couple companies fly him to the location but no job offer. I do believe those companies did send him the form rejection letter so maybe the previous poster is right about to whom they send rejection letters. Or maybe they only send those rejection letters if you get down to the final 2 or 3 and don't make it. Then they only have to send out a few instead of hundreds.

The other thing that's happened to him several times now is the "bait and switch". Company will call/interview him for one job (publicly listed) but then tell him that position has been filled internally, and proceed to tell him about another opening which is almost always a lesser paying job. Despite his annoyance, he's gone for those too but then he gets the "overqualified" answer. (though I have interviewed for and been offered 3 jobs over the past 5 years for which each company clearly stated I was overqualfied, so perhaps it's how he's conducting himself?)

The last thing that's happened to him with the same company has been really frustrating. This is a huge company and he'd really love to work there. He has great contacts there; former co-workers in high positions, personall recommendations from these same co-workers, etc. About 10 years ago, he even received a job offer from this company but turned it down because he got another offer at the same time and after careful discussion, we decided offer B was in a better city to raise the kids and provided a better salary.

Anyway,, this company has contacted him at least 5 times in the past 2 years about positions open. He talks to the internal recruiter and occasionally the actual hiriing authority. But almost always, he hears back that there's now a hiring freeze and as soon as things move again, they'll call. But they never do---until there's another job opening. And 3 times now, this company has advertised a long-term contract position for which he's interviewed but it has gone to someone else. Frustrating!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 AM

104 posts, read 411,950 times
This has hit a raw nerve with me. Interview with someone, they say you will hear either way within a week or two but they are so discourteous that no messages are returned. You have to waste the time and effort to find out if you got the job or not wen that effort can be aimed on contacting other employers and setting up interviews.

It would be nice for an employer to say, "if you don't hear from us within a week, you didn't get the position". I would like some simple honesty, how simple is that.

I had several interviews where the potential employer was courteous to let me know whether I got the job or not. I interviewed for a position at UC Davis. I didn't get the position but I heard from them within a few weeks. I also interviewed at Zimmers in Warsaw, IN but they were quick to let me know that I was not in. To tell you the truth, I was not keen on wanting to go to Warsaw, IN but if I got an offer to work at UC Davis, I would have been hard pressed to leave Colorado but I like Davis since it is a neat town. On Davis, CA it is a college town, has plenty of bike trails and seems like a good place for a family.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
so don't be so eager to jump through hoops of fire...
When you are desperate for a job you will jump through hoops of fire. We all need to keep a roof over our heads.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM

That person was passive aggressive with a pinch of rude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
I was interviewing for a great job, had three interviews and they were down to the last 3 candidates for 2 positions. I did not get the job. But...the hiring manager called me a week later and said that she really liked me and wanted to bring me on to her team. She said she had a position opening up due to someone getting a promotion. She asked me to call her every week and keep in touch, so I gladly did. This is a large, well known and respected company and I was dying to work there.

So each week, I made it a point to call her or email. We had many long and positive conversations, emails, etc. and things were moving along. Then, she suddenly stopped returning messages. I called her one day and she picked up and then quickly told me she was on a conference call and that she would call me back in a few minutes. She was really quick to hang up, and I never heard from her again.

I mean, how more rude can you get? She had me on the phone, all she needed to say was that things were not working out or whatever. Instead she makes up a lie that she's on the phone and hangs up? She pursued me! I had already let the job go the first time, but she stirred my hopes up and boy did she string me along...FOR SIX WEEKS!

I sent her an email, asking her to please just let me know either way, figuring it would be easy for her to respond in writing. Less personal. And since we had talked so much, it seemed okay. And she never even bothered to send me an email. What a JERK, I am glad I don't work for her.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 AM

Not if you are being used. I can tell when I am being exploited or used and will not jump through hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
When you are desperate for a job you will jump through hoops of fire. We all need to keep a roof over our heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search