Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 51,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
the worst interview I had was just about about 6 months ago with a company doing recruiting for an online college.

I was told up front it would start as a group interview, but it was unlike any group interview I had ever been to. The group had 20 people in it, with each one required to get in front of the others (of course no preparation or warning time, we found out on the spot) and tell everybody about themselves, their career, and why they would be a better hire then everybody else in the room. The 3 people doing the interview just sat by the side and watched people give their 3 minute presentations. After that we were all sent out to the lobby where they called each of us back in one at a time, where we were grilled by 2 of the interviewers with the third still sitting off to the side. Finally at the end of the interview the 3rd guy spoke up and starting asking weird questions such as what if I was to say your interview was horrible? What if I said it was the best ever? and many other psychoanalyzing type questions. the whole interview lasted close to 2 hours, and by the end I decided I could not work in that type of environment, although the position paid better then average, so I left before they got to their final question.

I do happen to know though that they hired 10 of the people interviewed and out of that have had to let go 9 due to lack of production, and they have ads in the paper almost daily even now. Which just shows that their interview tactics were worthless, as there were a few of us that were highly qualified, but I know that 3 more of them left prior to the interview being over.
Oh my God.
That sounds like an absolute nightmare.
You should have stood up there and acted ridiculous, like an audition for a comedy troupe.
What a total loser company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I had an interview at a very well known hotel...It was senior year in college and I had a GREAT resume. So during the interview the HR manager (who you could tell was a HUGE snob) was eating cereal!!! She was 15 minutes late to begin with and proceeded to tell me how hungry she was. To make it better, she SPILLED the cereal all over the place and asked me to help her clean it up. She told me that I wasn't a good fit, when in actuality I'm glad I'm not!!

I also had a really bad interview with one of the major hotel companies. It was a two day affair- the first night was a reception and the second day was the interview process (aka cattle herd...). Well, I had too much to drink at the reception (I really did not want to work for the company) and then during the interview, I had possibly the two dumbest interviewers. I have spent time in Japan and they asked me the dumbest questions about the country, like they had never even heard of it. I felt really uncomfortable as I felt way too smart. NOT A COMPANY FOR ME!

Then, because I thought I needed interview practice, I went on a bunch of interviews for jobs I would never take (unless maybe I was REALLY desperate...). I went on an interview for a hotel management company, that owned a hotel that I previously worked in. That particular hotel was in a really bad state, management wise, when I was a front desk clerk there. After I left, the company fired the management team and really improved the place. So the whole interview, the lady only wanted to bad mouth my former managers. She was really, really weird (brightly dyed hair, cargo looking boots, with a long skirt...) and it was SO awkward.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:09 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
These would all explain why I have interview anxiety.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Oh I had one recently whre they had me fill out all my work info twice.

One was a normal application the other was for a list of references and job history (which seemed redundant to me at the time, but whatever, ya know? lol)

Took about 45 minutes to complete. I give the papers to the secretary who doesn't look at them and starts asking me questions, which were all "Where did you work before, for how long and what were you duties?"

I was looking at the papers on her desk (and could see the answers) and was wondering why I had to fill them out if she was going to ask me the same things and write it all down. So in essense, I repeated the same info threee times both written and orally. Afterwards, she said they'd be in touch if anything came up.

All-in-all it took a little over an hour. I went to the store right after that to get groceries, and felt like I'd accomplished more getting all my groceries, than what i just did.

Places with bad communication usually don't fill me with alot of confidence.
You've been repped for this post because I've experienced the same thing. I have also experienced those 1 hour or more interviews involving redundant paperwork, answering questions from human resources personell who have a hard time reading the papers in front of her, and then being told they'd call me if they had anything. And economists wonder why people quit their jobs to become full-time panhandlers.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I had an interview at a very well known hotel...It was senior year in college and I had a GREAT resume. So during the interview the HR manager (who you could tell was a HUGE snob) was eating cereal!!! She was 15 minutes late to begin with and proceeded to tell me how hungry she was. To make it better, she SPILLED the cereal all over the place and asked me to help her clean it up. She told me that I wasn't a good fit, when in actuality I'm glad I'm not!!

I also had a really bad interview with one of the major hotel companies. It was a two day affair- the first night was a reception and the second day was the interview process (aka cattle herd...). Well, I had too much to drink at the reception (I really did not want to work for the company) and then during the interview, I had possibly the two dumbest interviewers. I have spent time in Japan and they asked me the dumbest questions about the country, like they had never even heard of it. I felt really uncomfortable as I felt way too smart. NOT A COMPANY FOR ME!

Then, because I thought I needed interview practice, I went on a bunch of interviews for jobs I would never take (unless maybe I was REALLY desperate...). I went on an interview for a hotel management company, that owned a hotel that I previously worked in. That particular hotel was in a really bad state, management wise, when I was a front desk clerk there. After I left, the company fired the management team and really improved the place. So the whole interview, the lady only wanted to bad mouth my former managers. She was really, really weird (brightly dyed hair, cargo looking boots, with a long skirt...) and it was SO awkward.
I too sometimes go to job interviews for a job I would never take. I went to one for a bookeeper job (somewhat related to finance/accounting ). The guy who was interviewing me literally left like 5 times in the middle of the interview to go do other stuff and leaving me there..Then he starts talking about this economic crisis and how mad he is about the bailout, which then afterwards he gets a peice of gum to chew on and just throws the wrapper in the middle of all his papers lol. His whole office was a huge mess, papers, vouchers, invoices, etc.. thrown all over his desk.

Needless to say I wanted to get away from there after a couple of minutes, but the guy kept on talking about the weirdest things. A couple of days later he wanted hi son to interview me...Needless to say I said no.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:46 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
The ladies will appreciate this one-I remember interviewing at a very nice restaurant once where the manager just stared at my chest the entire time while he 'interviewed' me. He didn't make eye contact with me once. I cut the interview off shortly a few minutes into it and walked off. Ugh.
lol ah you shoulda took the job then sued the company for sexual harrassment lol j/k. I hate that, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search