Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:35 AM

8,913 posts, read 20,311,796 times

Advertisements

Competency tests: I have taken a few of them and have passed with no problems. These tests SHOULD be given to people who will be working with numbers/words on their jobs. My last job, no Competency tests were given and my supervisor hired a guy to work in our warehouse who had Dyslexia and his problem really screwed up our inventory counts. My supervisor didn't care, he DIDN'T have to work with this guy......I did!!! This guys problem was a REAL "pain in the butt" for me.
It is really funny to me just how often I use to get e-mails or Word documents from people and they wouldn't do a "Spell Check" on either and there would be mis-spelled words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
I wish more companies would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,854,954 times
Bankruptcy is typically over looked since it's a legal and proactive solution. Filing bankruptcy in employers' eyes, is preferred versus having bad credit, judgments or liens. The biggest hurdle for most job seekers is having a felony and for some employers, that includes DUI. Sadly, a felony is a felony and many companies won't consider the circumstances, what it was for, how long ago it was, etc. If someone has even been fingerprinted and not convicted, they have an arrest record which can come up. In that case, it's a good investment to have it expunged. I think that some of the background check processes are a bit much. I know of companies that pay people $13 an hour to work in call centers and expect them to have pristine credit. For some that's difficult earning that, but yet, society makes it difficult for them to land jobs to better their situation. It's a vicious circle. I assist people in finding employment. That's my line of work. I've met some great candidates that can't find work because they did something stupid when they were 18 and have a record, or went several months with late credit card payments, etc. One one hand people complain about all of the people that can't find jobs, or that are lazy and they stereotype people. But I can attest that many people with "blemished" records look for work diligently and many companies refuse to give them a break. Companies look at these people has having bad character or bad traits. But some people learn from their pasts and want better choices now.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,694,914 times
so its basically a scare tactic. All they really wanna look for IF they check is to see if your a wanted felon or a former felon. Thats really it?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Bankruptcy is typically over looked since it's a legal and proactive solution. Filing bankruptcy in employers' eyes, is preferred versus having bad credit, judgments or liens. The biggest hurdle for most job seekers is having a felony and for some employers, that includes DUI. Sadly, a felony is a felony and many companies won't consider the circumstances, what it was for, how long ago it was, etc. If someone has even been fingerprinted and not convicted, they have an arrest record which can come up. In that case, it's a good investment to have it expunged. I think that some of the background check processes are a bit much. I know of companies that pay people $13 an hour to work in call centers and expect them to have pristine credit. For some that's difficult earning that, but yet, society makes it difficult for them to land jobs to better their situation. It's a vicious circle. I assist people in finding employment. That's my line of work. I've met some great candidates that can't find work because they did something stupid when they were 18 and have a record, or went several months with late credit card payments, etc. One one hand people complain about all of the people that can't find jobs, or that are lazy and they stereotype people. But I can attest that many people with "blemished" records look for work diligently and many companies refuse to give them a break. Companies look at these people has having bad character or bad traits. But some people learn from their pasts and want better choices now.
I'm glad you say that. I have no criminal record, but my credit is lousy, I'll admit. That plus I've been out of the work force for 6 years, has worked against me. I can't make people call me for interviews. I've applied for nearly every job in the local area within a scope of work I can do or am willing to do. I look constantly in the papers, online and on foot at malls, etc, to find work. Even applied for some retail work I hadn't done since high school. That was a huge blow to my ego, as it felt like a huge step backwards. I'm not lazy or a lay about, but when your unemployed and just taking care of the house and have exhausted every attempt to find work, what the heck else are ya supposed to do?

I have to work within school hours to be home for the kids. Thats a huge minus, too. The only useful thing I've been able to do to bring in money is sell collectibles I find at yard sales on Ebay, but thats not very much. Its better at the holidays, but during the year, esp with this economy right now, it stinks.

Even the Temp Agency doesn't call me for any available work. That was my last resort in my attempt to find acceptable work. Sad

I feel like I'm only a stone's throw from "walmart greeter" or Fast Food employee and Gods help me it doesn't come to that.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,035,748 times
I would never be accepted for a job.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 AM

I'm thinking that as long as there's a fresh supply of young labor without any family issues, they will consistently beat out older applicants, unless those older people have few to no "at-home" issues, very recent work experience and references.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 673 times
Employer wants a background check. I have bad credit and 7 years ago I was involved with bankruptcy. I'm so scared. Will this affect my chances

Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 PM

13,109 posts, read 20,856,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine2403 View Post
Employer wants a background check. I have bad credit and 7 years ago I was involved with bankruptcy. I'm so scared. Will this affect my chances
Nobody can answer that except your employer. Each employer determines how much weight they are going to give various pieces of information. I give little weight to any debt incurred due to an emergency medical needs while another employer may give it equal weight as any other debt. I may not hold it against a candidate if they have some late payments all due to a vacation where they forgot to set up auto payments. But other employer may decide to pass the person up due to that mistake. If you had a BK from 7 years ago and you have paid everything when and you are not running up debt, it may not be that big a deal. But, if you had a BK and you still are running up credit and continue to be late, missed payments, etc, well you can probably kiss the offer good-bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search