U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:33 PM

2,743 posts, read 13,819,260 times

Advertisements

Do y'all write a specific cover letter for each job you apply for or do you just cut and paste one? Any tips on having it not sound like every other cover letter they've received that day?

I am sooooooo tired of writing them but I kind of like to tailor what I say to the job I'm applying for so it doesn't sound "form letter" like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 01:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 22,069,310 times
You can usually interchange the paragraphs on a cover letter to suit the job. The first paragraph should state what position and where you learned of it. Last paragraph asks for the interview and provides info for contact. Only the middle paragraphs would change depending on the job requirements. The second paragraph really needs to catch their interest or the employer won't read past it.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM

40,048 posts, read 32,860,382 times
This doesn't take the place of a well-written cover letter, but I'll tell you something I always did to get that little bit of extra recognition...

I do not own plain white stationery. All of my stationery and envelopes consists of recycled USGS topographic maps (they cost rather more than plain white paper, but I'll pay extra for something this beautiful and unique!) Believe me, nobody who ever received a copy of my resume and cover letter confused me with other applicants.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,179,597 times
Cover Letters - Cover Letter Writing and Samples

Old 10-03-2008, 07:17 PM

81 posts, read 331,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Do y'all write a specific cover letter for each job you apply for or do you just cut and paste one? Any tips on having it not sound like every other cover letter they've received that day?

I am sooooooo tired of writing them but I kind of like to tailor what I say to the job I'm applying for so it doesn't sound "form letter" like.

I have a standard letter saved and then I just switch out the position title when I send it in with my resume! Mine is a little more personal and basically just thanks the person for their time and consideration for XYZ position and how I look forward to moving on to the interrview/application process and if they have any questions to please contact me, and includes my name and phone number. I dont get into all my qualifications and why Im applying for the job etc. It's one paragraph tops, again, signed with my name and number!

Hope that Helps!

Oh and I agree with other poster who uses a different stationary...Mine isnt plain white either...it's a very soft watercolor print in the background that isnt gaudy but most definitley stands out amongst plain white paper!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:11 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,537,658 times
Quote:

I'll confess I found one on the internet thru a google search: keywords "Cover letter" and simply copied it to a Word document and edited it to suit the specific job. Its only a page long, if that.

I wasn't sure what one was either and was too lazy to type one out myself. I don't get all the "extra" stuff we have to submit beyond the job application.

Its fluff and kiss butt stuff and seems like a waste of time to me, but if they want it, then they want it.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,029,394 times
Quote:

When I was job hunting, I always wrote a cover letter. When I worked in HR, I always looked for cover letters, and I was not impressed by the generic ones.

You've answered your own question - tailor them to the job you're applying for. It doesn't have to be long.

Case in point - I'm now working as an office manager for a small (six people) company. The owners placed an ad with a humorous line in the job requirements. I wrote a cover letter that addressed the humorous line with one of my own. I've been working there four years now, and my boss has said more than once that 1) they put the line in there as a test, and only interviewed people who referred to that line, and 2) mine was the only one that made them laugh - and humor is one of the things they were looking for.

If I had not written a cover letter at all, or had sent a generic one, I would have missed out on one of the best jobs I've ever had.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,537,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
When I was job hunting, I always wrote a cover letter. When I worked in HR, I always looked for cover letters, and I was not impressed by the generic ones.

You've answered your own question - tailor them to the job you're applying for. It doesn't have to be long.

Case in point - I'm now working as an office manager for a small (six people) company. The owners placed an ad with a humorous line in the job requirements. I wrote a cover letter that addressed the humorous line with one of my own. I've been working there four years now, and my boss has said more than once that 1) they put the line in there as a test, and only interviewed people who referred to that line, and 2) mine was the only one that made them laugh - and humor is one of the things they were looking for.

If I had not written a cover letter at all, or had sent a generic one, I would have missed out on one of the best jobs I've ever had.
What was the line? I'm curious

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM

2,743 posts, read 13,819,260 times
Curious here too!

(and that surely would have made me want to apply...what a change from the usual stodgy list of musts and must nots!)

Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM

261 posts, read 742,410 times
slightly different question here
when you apply for a job via email do you attach your cover letter along with the resume or do you put it in the main body of the email ...
... and who do you address it to ..dear sir .. dear name or other ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search