Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times

Advertisements

I am searching for employment and many of the positions on Craigslist just want you to reply to the ad through Craigslist.

How do you reply? Just tell them you are interested and would like more information?

Do you give out your phone # or wait to see if you get a response to your email with maybe a legit phone # or address to set up an appt?

I have heard there are so many scammers on CL that I am leary of putting personal info on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
I've responded to craigslist employment ads. So far so good, no scammers.

I just send an email reply with a brief statement of my matching qualifications and interest and, invite them to reply to my email. Then take it from there.

However I won't usually waste any time on an employment ad that doesn't:

Include a company name
or nclude a company website or email address
or include a company phone number
or include a company contact person.

If it's just an ad describing the position and only one of those craigslist posting numbers as a contact, blow it off. Not enough information to bother responding.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,270 times
The way I do it is I post my resume, minus my personal information, on Craigslist and then the ones that reply to me I check their companies on-line via Better Business Bureau and through searches. Sometimes, I'll even add the word "scam" at the end of the business name to see what pops up. You could try to do that before you reply to the ad. I do it when I find a job on Craigslist and then I send them a cover letter and resume if they appear legitimate. Research is key with Craigslist in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the information! I didn't even think about the no company name or number information.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM

95 posts, read 327,906 times
I responded to a listing yesterday on CL for job. They sent me a reply to come by a location in town 30mins away and pick up an application.
Needless to say I was very excited being currently unemployed.
When I get to the location I see a note on the door from the building owner saying their rent was due and no personal checks were to be accepted due to bad ones being written. Door was locked. I turned around and got in my truck very disappointed

Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I've sent many resumes through craigslist and had little to no response. I apply mainly for entry-level accounting jobs that pay in the sub 15/hr range. Nothing. I've had more luck applying directly through corporate websites. At least they send rejection letters lol.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
I've noticed (and mind you this is not ALWAYS TRUE but it's a trend I've noticed) that if the Craigslist ad has a gmail address for you to reply to, it is often a scammer.

To test it, just send a blank email and if you get a "response" in about 2 minutes, it's an automated spam thing.

Other than that, if it looks legit and the ad ask for a resume, then I send a "cover letter" email with my resume attached, and note that the resume is attached.

If it just instructs you to email, then I'll email and express interest in the job and ASK if I can email a resume or if they'd prefer fax or whatever. I do this since some people don't have their email set up to allow attachments.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Just like applying to any online ad: I reply with a cover letter, and paste my resume into the body of the email, in case they can't take attachments. And they can email me if they want to contact me. I have put my home phone number on there only (I don't want scammers having my cellph# and I have caller ID).

I have had many phone calls asking me for interviews. Some places were just goofy once I went there for an interview, but there were many legit, decent firms posting want ads.

In fact, I am starting a job tomorrow which I located through craigslist.
Agree with the gmail reply to address - those are usually some sort of scam. I apply through craigslist using the craigslist id#.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Well, the one good thing is that I just read that CL is going to start charging for employment ads. Hopefully this will keep the scammers away.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:44 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Well, the one good thing is that I just read that CL is going to start charging for employment ads. Hopefully this will keep the scammers away.
I hope so! I know that they do already charge in some locations. Unfortunately not mine. The spammers are getting really good at crafting ads that seem legit, and CL is clogged FULL of them every hour. It's insane, the amount of digging you need to do to find the legit job ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search