Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,071 times

Advertisements

After about 6 weeks of looking I finally found a full time job paying ... decent money. I make enough to pay my bills but there isn't too much left over. I really need something that pays more. I have gotten a few calls and people wanting to interview me but my issue is scheduling my interviews. I try to make them around the lunch hour so I don't have to request time off but when people want to interview you they want you there when THEY want you there. Luckily for me I don't have a "scheduled" lunch time so I can pretty much go when I want. However, I normally go between 12-1pm. I have 3 interviews 2 places wants me there at 2:30 and the other wants me there at 11am.

I can only have so many "appointments" before my boss says something. I don't want them to fire me before I find something else.

Decisions decisions
Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 03:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,064,838 times
You can always say to your employer, I want to let you know I had a dental/doctor/whatever appointment set up before I was hired so is it okay if I take this time off?

However, that will only work so much. The mere fact you have 'so many' interviews is interesting to me. (I wonder what job you do?)

I would be careful you don't wind up let go simply for 'an interview.' Can't you mention to these people you have a job now and don't want to lose it? Most companies will respect that and work an interview around your hours if they want you.

I'd wonder about a potential employee who told me how he left his job to interview with me at 2:30 when he or she should be at work...would you job jump on me too?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM

I have a degree in broadcasting and a resume that is very diverse from TV stations to non-profit to marketing to administrative. Since I've done so much I usually can fit into may different jobs.

I'm concerned about being let go too!! Even though this isn't necessarily the job I want I don't want to lose it before I have something else.

The 1st place (2:30) is to take a test for a state job. I've already postponed this once so I have to go this time. 2nd place (2:30) is at an employment agency to work as a recruiter/coordinator for the company and the 3rd (11 am) is at a non-profit. I will try to rearrange the 2nd one hopefully I can go on my lunch break.
I would NEVER tell the person I'm interviewing with that!! lol

Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
The recruiter and the non profit, set last priority, unless that is where your heart is at. You need to get your priorities straight. The test for the State job sounds like it is the most important, in my opinion. I would make whatever excuse, and do that one. The others, set them for next week, after the state job doesnt happen. One at a time. If they dont wait, then they don't. Dont spread yourself too thin. Focus on one specific. The most important goal. Go for it. Not all of them. Getting an interview while job hunting is your first goal. You got that. Now, specialize.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM

The state job test is the first, I've already got that one covered. The recruiter job is Monday, I'm going to call and see if it's possible to do it at a different time maybe around lunch time. The non profit isn't for 2 weeks. All of the jobs are more money then I make now. By more money I mean at least 5K more a year. My goal is to not have to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
Well then, prioritize, Make sure what you are doing is what you really want to. Which job do you really want. If you get the Non Prof job, and then the state job says come to work what then, or vice versa? Be honest with yourself first, then your prospective employers. Especially the NP. They will probably wait to see if you get the other job if you let them know you are interviewing for another job and want to see what is happening. If they are waiting for the interview, doesnt sound like they are desperate, they just want someone that is going to stay. Treat them honestly, you will be appreciated for it.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM

702 posts, read 2,294,966 times
A series of appointments for extensive dental work. That's what I've used in the past. If you're female and/or a parent, you can also use the "feminine problem" or "sick child" excuse.

Also consider asking the potential employer if they are interested in doing an initial telephone interview before proceeding. This is something you could pull of during your lunch break, or even during a 10-minute break while at work if you have a cell phone.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,343,229 times
I know of many places where they will gladly accommodate a second interview after working hours or before working hours (7:30am or 5:30pm). A first interview can be done over the phone, you should request if that is possible. I honestly don't know why more places don't do this. Exception being jobs that require public "face time" in which appearance is important.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM

I took the state test yesterday... it was brutal. lol By the 40th (out of 100) question I didn't care anymore. lol
I never thought of requesting a phone interview. I think that is what I will do for the one on Monday. I think I really want the one I interview with last. Which probably means they will make the decision last. I just don't want to lose the other options then not even be offered the one I was holding out for.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
I took the state test yesterday... it was brutal. lol By the 40th (out of 100) question I didn't care anymore. lol
I never thought of requesting a phone interview. I think that is what I will do for the one on Monday. I think I really want the one I interview with last. Which probably means they will make the decision last. I just don't want to lose the other options then not even be offered the one I was holding out for.
I got my state test results... I got a 93.16!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search