Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:43 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times

Advertisements

Are companies just wanting to get rid of paper all of a sudden?

This is the first time I've noticed that happening. Boy there is a lot of truth to the saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same" I have not done a paper application in weeks. Is this happening everywhere else? Good luck out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 04:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Very true.
Half these places in retail make you go through complex testing along with the application. (again online).
I was willing to do a retail job last year for something to do while I found a better paying job but the online applications seemed to be a waste of time.

So many places say they need help and never call!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Yeah, I kinda hate online applications for menial jobs such as retail.

For professional jobs, it's somewhat ok. And I don't have a good opinion of companies that don't have an email address to email a resume.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:59 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
With the amount of people out there who need work, green initiatives being a huge part of companies initiatives and the ability to scan and search online resumes for key words it's much easier for companies to do everything via the web.

Sorry but it's going to stay like that for ever.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
A very large supermarket chain in my area only allows online job applications. It's a mess who they hire. The cashiers are always standing around in the front of the store chatting while only 3 registers are open for a line of customers. Also they are yapping while ringing you up which bugs the hell out of me because as expensive as food prices are I don't need to be double charged and have to stretch my neck at the same time to make sure they are priced correctly. I always think to myself "if this is who they hired, who the hell were the rejects???"

Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
A very large supermarket chain in my area only allows online job applications. It's a mess who they hire. The cashiers are always standing around in the front of the store chatting while only 3 registers are open for a line of customers. Also they are yapping while ringing you up which bugs the hell out of me because as expensive as food prices are I don't need to be double charged and have to stretch my neck at the same time to make sure they are priced correctly. I always think to myself "if this is who they hired, who the hell were the rejects???"
LOL, I have some of the same questions in my head when I'm out shopping.

About the online thing, I don't mind it really. Saves gas. I wish someone would tell my mom about this though.. she's old school, and doesn't understand how "hitting the pavement" doesn't really work these days. She got all her jobs, even office and sales and such, by walking in and charming the pants off of whoever was hiring.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Are companies just wanting to get rid of paper all of a sudden?

This is the first time I've noticed that happening. Boy there is a lot of truth to the saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same" I have not done a paper application in weeks. Is this happening everywhere else? Good luck out there!
Last year, when I was looking for jobs, I think only TWO of the ten or so employers I checked with had me go online to apply. One of those still wanted me to fill out paperwork at the interview session.

And everything else was paper applications.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I was thinking the same thing today. Our local market is hiring and I so want to make some money but some of these folks are downright STRANGE. I'm not demeaning anyone who works in retail--it's very hard. But we have a huge bunch of very bizarre retail people around this area--what a section of the population--and I am not 'employed' yet they are? I am not talking about the moms who cashier or 'regular folks' but the fringe who are just SCARY.

Something is seriously wrong here.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Oh, in Bowling Green KY a real hot job is working at the GM Corvette Assembly Plant there. I took a visitor tour there, and asked how to get employed. They said no paper application or HR there, all online through GM. Bet you have to know someone inside to get in there though.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Online apps are more convenient for the employer. BUT it is annoying for us potential employees because you have to compete with everyone who has a computer at their disposal. The entire world... yes people in other states are applying to these jobs now, because they have a computer and they are not averse to relocating. So it makes the competition fiercer for the jobs. And the companies see this and lowball as they can because they have so many candidates.

I have gotten a couple interviews from online applying at the big career sites. I have had better luck through craigslist actually. It is more like applying to a newspaper ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search