U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: City, State
364 posts, read 1,506,228 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
No, I am NOT wrong. You are looking at your situation through rose colored glasses. The arrogance in your comment that you often times made the decision who went to work and who didn't only works to prove my point.

If you think that I am in the minority with feeling as though recruiters are useless, then feel free to go to google and do some research. We can't post links here or I would supply them.
Um, it's not arrogance. It's fact. When a client says "you know my team well enough by now, you just handle everything and offer the best candidate the job" that's me making a decision.

There are some bad recruiters out there, sure. But my God man, open your damn eyes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
acj
 
30 posts, read 103,194 times
Reputation: 61
In a few weeks, I will be starting my 3rd job within the past 7 months. I got all 3 jobs due to recruiters. While they are many shady ones out there, and this thread has helped me understand the overall process of how things work, they do work out. One of my other friends started a job in January thanks to a recruiter. Not all of them are bad. That's not to say they don't exist though.

I spoke with a recruiter who told me about a "great opportunity" only to find out the job has been filled. No big deal. I find another job being posted on a job site by the same recruiting company. I call the recruiter to tell them that I am interested in that position only to be told that the position advertised is a "dummy" one. It is used simply to get applicants to apply so they can have more clients. I was pretty pissed off about that.

While this is a case that proves their dishonesty, to say they all suck and are worthless is an unfair generalization.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: City, State
364 posts, read 1,506,228 times
Reputation: 156
It's not used to get applicants so they can get more clients. That doesn't even make sense.

It's used to get more qualified candidates for similar positions in the future that the company commonly fills, or knows will be coming out. It's all about being proactive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
acj
 
30 posts, read 103,194 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
It's not used to get applicants so they can get more clients. That doesn't even make sense.

It's used to get more qualified candidates for similar positions in the future that the company commonly fills, or knows will be coming out. It's all about being proactive.
Sorry, I worded that wrong. The recruiters told me that the job doesn't even exist and that they were simply collecting resumes for future jobs that might exist in the future. Regardless, they put out a fake job which I didn't appreciate at all. They were still lying, proactive or not.

Last edited by acj; 03-04-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
 
5,524 posts, read 9,475,417 times
Reputation: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj View Post
In a few weeks, I will be starting my 3rd job within the past 7 months. I got all 3 jobs due to recruiters. While they are many shady ones out there, and this thread has helped me understand the overall process of how things work, they do work out. One of my other friends started a job in January thanks to a recruiter. Not all of them are bad. That's not to say they don't exist though.

I spoke with a recruiter who told me about a "great opportunity" only to find out the job has been filled. No big deal. I find another job being posted on a job site by the same recruiting company. I call the recruiter to tell them that I am interested in that position only to be told that the position advertised is a "dummy" one. It is used simply to get applicants to apply so they can have more clients. I was pretty pissed off about that.

While this is a case that proves their dishonesty, to say they all suck and are worthless is an unfair generalization.
The practice of pipelining talent for future openings is practiced in staffing and in the regular hiring world. It's used to find the best people as a "just in case" so when the headcount/opportunity does open up....the ramp up time is shorter.

While it's not as "shady" as people seem to make it out the part that should irk talent is the fact that companies do not make it known that the posting is for creating a pool of talent for ready to work roles (ones that need to be filled within a much shorter time frame). If people are honest up front and tell talent "this is for pipelining or for creating a pool" then it keeps the talent from feeling that they wasted their time. Lack of honesty and deception are the top reasons that people are not thrilled with companies in my industry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,230 posts, read 12,557,292 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Um, it's not arrogance. It's fact. When a client says "you know my team well enough by now, you just handle everything and offer the best candidate the job" that's me making a decision.

There are some bad recruiters out there, sure. But my God man, open your damn eyes.

My eyes have been opened more and more. Especially with this thread.
And btw...I am not a man, I am very much female.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,230 posts, read 12,557,292 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
It's not used to get applicants so they can get more clients. That doesn't even make sense.

It's used to get more qualified candidates for similar positions in the future that the company commonly fills, or knows will be coming out. It's all about being proactive.
You misquoted the poster.
What he stated is in fact true.

Recruiters do utilize candidates resumes' as a source for obtaining possible clients. It is misleading and wrong.

If they were honest they would publicize the fact that they are *fielding* resumes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 31,383,291 times
Reputation: 7305
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
When a client says "you know my team well enough by now, you just handle everything and offer the best candidate the job" that's me making a decision.
Just a quick question. Are you talking about where the candidate will actually be an EMPLOYEE (directly employed by) your client or where the candidate will be on your agency's payroll as an employee and working at the client's premises?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 31,383,291 times
Reputation: 7305
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
It's not used to get applicants so they can get more clients. That doesn't even make sense.

It's used to get more qualified candidates for similar positions in the future that the company commonly fills, or knows will be coming out. It's all about being proactive.
It's also good to post fictitious jobs so that THE RECRUITERS LOOK BUSY TO THE BOSS or the boss might start thinking of cutting the dead wood. It wouldn't do to have no CANDIDATES to test, interview, and process in the office even though there are no jobs for them. All the activity of candidates makes the office look busy and can keep recruiters employed longer (at least until the balance sheet is undisputably empty because in the end that fools nobody).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
 
Location: City, State
364 posts, read 1,506,228 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Just a quick question. Are you talking about where the candidate will actually be an EMPLOYEE (directly employed by) your client or where the candidate will be on your agency's payroll as an employee and working at the client's premises?
Both. Starting off as a contractor/consultant, and then hired on directly (assuming good performance) typically 6 months later.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top