U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,345 times

Advertisements

How to approach someone to set up an interview?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM

5,978 posts, read 18,779,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
The practice of pipelining talent for future openings is practiced in staffing and in the regular hiring world. It's used to find the best people as a "just in case" so when the headcount/opportunity does open up....the ramp up time is shorter.

While it's not as "shady" as people seem to make it out the part that should irk talent is the fact that companies do not make it known that the posting is for creating a pool of talent for ready to work roles (ones that need to be filled within a much shorter time frame). If people are honest up front and tell talent "this is for pipelining or for creating a pool" then it keeps the talent from feeling that they wasted their time. Lack of honesty and deception are the top reasons that people are not thrilled with companies in my industry.
Agree. Although I have mostly good experiences with recruiters. I was placed by one in a 3-month contract which turned into perm. I'm still there presently. Two days ago, I posted for a position with a recruiter through Careerbuilder, with expectations that nothing will come out of it. Less than 24 hours later, recruiter has called, I'm meeting with her on Friday, and I was given the name of the hiring company with a complete address. I am now researching the company on its website. Pretty good turnaround I have to say. In this economy I have to think that it was a rather good match to garner such a quick response from the recuriter.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 AM

26,589 posts, read 59,065,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
The practice of pipelining talent for future openings is practiced in staffing and in the regular hiring world. It's used to find the best people as a "just in case" so when the headcount/opportunity does open up....the ramp up time is shorter.

While it's not as "shady" as people seem to make it out the part that should irk talent is the fact that companies do not make it known that the posting is for creating a pool of talent for ready to work roles (ones that need to be filled within a much shorter time frame). If people are honest up front and tell talent "this is for pipelining or for creating a pool" then it keeps the talent from feeling that they wasted their time. Lack of honesty and deception are the top reasons that people are not thrilled with companies in my industry.
The company I used to work for did this. We called it "keeping the bench full."

We constantly recruited and accepted resumes, and even interviewed the applicants with the most potential on paper. We did tell them when calling for an interview that there was no position currently open but we were still interested in talking to them if they wanted. The hiring managers were very flexible and would interview in the evening if someone was working days, and the majority of folks contacted chose to come in for an interview, knowing full well there wasn't currently an open position.

I see nothing wrong with that as long as the employer is upfront before someone comes in for an interview. For just sending a resume, I don't beleive the employer has to disclose anything. No one should ever get their hopes up by simply sending a resume, that's just foolish.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM

34 posts, read 111,398 times
I have worked with several recruiters during my job search, but I have never provided references unless I am under serious consideration for a job. I try to limit the number of contacts my references receive from recruiters.

However, if the recruiter is someone who I have worked with in the past and we have established a relationship then I may provide a non-manager reference in the beginning if their client requires such check prior to submission. Otherwise, my references are provided at the end if they are considering me for the job.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM

364 posts, read 1,510,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypauline71 View Post
How to approach someone to set up an interview?
Pick up the phone?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
Asking for references even prior to an actual interview is just unethical. These recruiters are mining for 'hiring Managers' to offer their talent pool.They are abusing the unemployed's situation by telling them to provide such references from direct hiring Managers, notice the qualification they require, to build a potential CLIENT database and rainmaking.If verifying a candidate's credentials were their only objective, they would do so upon having a job offer.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM

110 posts, read 959,314 times
I started another thread on this very subject today before I realized this one existed. Wow, there are a wide range of opinions on this subject!

Regardless of whether or not these companies are mining for hiring managers, I will probably go ahead and apply to one or two (I figure the worst that can happen is my old boss gets a couple of sales calls. I just don't want him getting 10 calls). I'd love to sign up with 10 places, but I don't want to ruin the most solid reference I have.

Question for those here who have worked as recruiters or those who have a lot of experience dealing with recruiters:

What is the best way to find a reputable agency? I have about six agencies in my town that I'm interested in talking to. How would you recommend I go about 'weeding them out' before I actually start forking over personal information? I don't know anyone who has used them, so the old 'network' approach won't work. I just have very little to go on outside of their websites. And are private local agencies better than the big national ones as far as the odds being more in the candidates favor in getting the job?

I know some folks on here swear against these places. But just being totally honest here, I have heard some success stories when it comes to employment agencies. A relative of mine used to use agencies quite successfully a while back. It's quite confusing hearing so many different opinions on this.

Last edited by Robert321; 02-10-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM

5,978 posts, read 18,779,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert321 View Post
I started another thread on this very subject today before I realized this one existed. Wow, there are a wide range of opinions on this subject!

Regardless of whether or not these companies are mining for hiring managers, I will probably go ahead and apply to one or two (I figure the worst that can happen is my old boss gets a couple of sales calls. I just don't want him getting 10 calls). I'd love to sign up with 10 places, but I don't want to ruin the most solid reference I have.

Question for those here who have worked as recruiters or those who have a lot of experience dealing with recruiters:

What is the best way to find a reputable agency? I have about six agencies in my town that I'm interested in talking to. How would you recommend I go about 'weeding them out' before I actually start forking over personal information? I don't know anyone who has used them, so the old 'network' approach won't work. I just have very little to go on outside of their websites. And are private local agencies better than the big national ones as far as the odds being more in the candidates favor in getting the job?

I know some folks on here swear against these places. But just being totally honest here, I have heard some success stories when it comes to employment agencies. A relative of mine used to use agencies quite successfully a while back. It's quite confusing hearing so many different opinions on this.
I don't know where you are and I don't know your field. But if I were in your shoes, I would find friends in the area who are in the same field and ask them if they have had experiences with recruiters and who they would recommend and who they would avoid. I've dealt with many, but two have placed me in the last 3 years. My experience with them is that you build a personal relationship with the person, not the company they represent. Once they leave that company, don't expect to return there and get the same attention you did with this person.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM

305 posts, read 960,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
In my history of using recruiters, i found most of them to be of poor service and quality. They fish for resumes online to build their databases and find names of companies. Whenever I have gone to past interviews, references only needed to be from someone at your past work - manager or not. Recruiters only want to speak to a manager because usually a manager would have decision making on hiring and it is a direct line to fish for more jobs to fill. Also, don't fall into the trick of answering questions of "who else are you interviewing with?" as this is another line for them to find more company names and contacts - just say you have interviews lined up and you do not wish to disclose who.

Recruitment is only a sales factory - and nothing more. If you think about it, they never give you the company name. Yet companies want people that are going to be passionate and enthusiastic about working for them. how can someone become that if they don't find out who it is a few days before interview and then realise they don't want to work for that company. I am a strong believer that companies should do their own recruitment to find the best candidate for them without the miscommunication that comes with a middle-man.
I know this post is old but I would have to agree with this to a point. I am working with a recruiter I gave my references as requested and made it a point not to check with the references without my prior consent in writing which is perfectly legal. I got the interview and the job, right after I quite the recruiter wanted to check my references they wanted my manager name and all, why would you need this info now after all of this you have to be fishing for leads

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 20,462 times
I am a recruiter and have been doing this for close to 5 years, as I will not deny that there are some unethical recruiters out there who will use you but there are also recruiters like my self who have an ethical process and practice.

REFERNECES:I will not ask for references unless I have a real position to present them to.A) I am honest when calling a candidate if I have a current opening or not; but I also won't call them unless I know I would present them somewhere down the road and I let them know that "I am impressed with their resume and don't have something now but would like to save your resume and information for future use" This is part of my job I have some clients that have the same positions open every other month so building a "database" of resume is proactive recruiting. I don't promise anything but what I do is start building relationships with people so when the opportunities come up I know who I can call first. B) In the case I don't have a current position I don't ask for references I ask for leads and in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM if I call on the lead reveal who I got the manager name from that is the differnece between a lead and a reference;when making networking or sales calls I work in complete confidentiality unless someone says "you can mention my name". C) I will only ask for references if I am going to be submitting their resume to a real requirment and I ask all my candidates to inform their reference I will be calling.
LEADS: Again are differenct from referneces; I am always looking to network and build my business. Leads (manager names or sr level employees) from a past company should be delt with confidentiality. Unless some one tells me to mention them I will not; When I recieve a lead I search for the manager name on Linked in and request to be linked then call. If a manager asks me where they came across their information I let them know through linked in and reference my invitation.

As for meeting with candidates before submitting I prefer to do this for 10-15 mins to interview on soft skills, people can be very differnt on the phone than in person. More than anything I do this to prep them for interviews with the client. I can see if their interview skills need any coaching. An internal interview is not to see what the person looks like I dont make them wear suits or dress clothes I just ask that they are presentable. This also depends on the position I am working on, if I am working an executive level or sr. level positon vs an entry level to mid level I might be less likely to meet with the executive or sr level than I would be to meet with the entry level to mid level. young professionals out of school or going for their 2nd to 3rd job might need more prepping or coaching then someone who has been in the working world for a while.

As for people who think Recruiters are useless; all I can say is do your home work. Temporary employees has seen a drastic increase because it saves companies money and time to hire contracted employees. Companies use firms like mine to find their permanent staff also becasue they don't have an HR department and it saves a busy manager time.

My advice is don't ignore or push away a recruiter, BUT do some research, hear them out and see what they have to offer, ask the right questions. There is so much on the Web these days that you can figure out who the right ones are to work with. this is where employment is and it can ony hurt you to continue to be unemployed.

Take the things I typed above into consideration when you are speaking with recruiters.

Also for the people who think we are useless, shame on you!!! I can't speak for the firms or agencies that have burned people but I can speak for mine. We only hire individuals with a degree or 10 plus years experience (B.S degree), we go through 5 interviews before getting hired and we are held accountable in running our desk with professionalism and business ethics. I have been at my new company for a year and in that year I have been able to help 53 people find jobs as a branch we have employed a couple hundred and as a national company thousands. Explain to those people how useless we are, also open up the New York Times there is a great artcicle about just how important Staffing companies are and the impact they are making on the economy and how it has contributed to the upswing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search