U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hiring advice to job seekers from business owner; follow directions in ad, listen to employer, follow basic instructions, pushy employees, pushy job seekers

Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM

24,671 posts, read 65,073,765 times

Advertisements

I was recently looking for a bartender/server in the relatively small territory in which I live and posted a couple of ads online on a couple of local forums as well as posting the position at a local secretarial service. The job description was written quite concisely and along with several basic requirements, included the necessity of local references, own transportation and a valid government-issued health card. I asked that anybody interested send their resume to xxxxx@xxx.xxx.

In the ad I posted at the secretarial service, I asked that I either be emailed at (xxx blah blah) or to call me at (XXX-XXX) between 1 and 3PM and leave a message if the answering machine picked up.

Four people responded to the on-line ads. Two of them indicated that they already live here on island and "could" send me their resumé but, "if you're interested call me." Both callback numbers were a long distance cell 'phone call for me because I'm one of these dinosaurs that doesn't have a cell phone. And I don't "chase" employees period. I posted back, saying that they should respond via email as noted.

The other two were from people moving here "next week" who obviously didn't understand the obvious inference of, "local references/own transportation.VI Health Card." I responded kindly, wished them well, explained that I was more interested in hiring someone with at least several months of island living under their belt but, if they would send me their resume I would be more than happy to take their application under consideration. Not one response from any of them.

In the ensuing days a few people sort of walked through the door because they "heard" I was looking for somebody and mouthed off right away.

As I said tonight to my present bartender/server who is quitting in all good faith, "Say for instance that you were totally useless and I was going to fire you but was waiting for the right opportunity and the right replacement to come along and someone comes barging in and says to me oh wow, hear you're looking for a bartender?" Such a duh!

It's really no biggie and I DID hire someone who I hope will work out. He was the ONE person who was able to follow directions. He's going to have to be trained but he has the basics.

To those who are answering any sort of a help wanted ad, just do what is asked. If they say "no 'phone calls" and/or "no walk-ins" then just pay attention to what has been asked. It's perfectly OK to follow up and persist in the same vein if you don't hear anything back in a week or so but if you can't follow simple instructions from the get-go, do understand that a prospective employer will dismiss you right from the start!

Cheers!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM

9,120 posts, read 11,125,367 times
Thanks for the heads up. People can't hear this enough.

Good to hear it from the employers view.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 PM

6,262 posts, read 18,273,928 times
on the other hand-long gone are the days when a job seeker ever hears back from someone; even when they have followed all the instructions.
It's incredibly rude for people receiving resumes to NOT take the time to respond-even if only to say.."sorry the position is already filled"

Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 AM

24,671 posts, read 65,073,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
on the other hand-long gone are the days when a job seeker ever hears back from someone; even when they have followed all the instructions.
It's incredibly rude for people receiving resumes to NOT take the time to respond-even if only to say.."sorry the position is already filled"
I could not agree with you more. Cheers!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,950,734 times
I think half the ads are b.s.
Some lame brain says, 'let's see how many hoop jumpers are out there in case we need someone.'

Ad--Must love widgits, live and breathe widgits. Must have 11 years experience with every operating system in creation (knowing how to chew gum while standing on your head and speaking 3 languages (Mandarin and Cherokee wind talking languages preferred), must be PC, must have no personal life whatsoever, must be willing to work early/late/holidays for reduced pay. Must enjoy dealing with management who will spend half their days 'talking bulls*it while you work very hard,' must be willing to give up lunch times and breaks (if we offer them as a perk).

Submit your resume in triplicate with your blood type, your weight, height, and your sexual orientation to us within 3 minutes of this ad being placed or you are SOL....

LOL!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,781,571 times
One of those things where persistance may pay. In today's world we have to be agressive towards any position that you would be interested in. I have always heard that employers prefer that type of attitude. I don't think that the interested parties did not read the instruction on applying, I just think that they may have felt "if I don't try I will never know".

Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 AM

7,088 posts, read 7,557,520 times
It's a brutal world out there looking for jobs, just ask a lot of people starting out in the film industry now. My editor has done great work for me, one music video he edited for me has been selected to 7 film festivals now, and he has fantastic skills (Photoshop, some After Effects, Avid, Premiere, and Final Cut, so he's trained on all three major editing systems and capable at each), but he's applied sometimes to 50 positions per day, some HORRIBLE pay, like stuff along the lines of $500 for two weeks, and he had no hits, again and again.

I am not really surprised because every time as an employer that I post looking for a position, whether it's a cinematographer or a grip or a 1st Assistant Camera, etc., I get between 75 and 200 resumes. Of those, at least 50% are very good, probably overqualified for what I'm doing (i.e. I'm surprised they are not getting better work and my shoots would be "small" for their level of experience), another 25% are definitely solid and adequate, and only 25% are between not that great and purely speculative. That still means anyone's odds of getting hired on my projects are not good, and this is for pay that is usually meh / blah. I usually pay more than most anyone else on Craigslist, a lot of those people expect great employees for nearly free, which is so depressing, but my pay usually is no better than $15 to $25 per hour tops. I have posted for positions paying $50 for a PA (the peon of the set, basically) for instance and there are so many people who apply just because they want the experience or to pad their resumes, and all of that for $50 for a 12-hour day.

It's amazing how brutal the job market can be.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,950,734 times
Jonathan,
You are in a very competitive field--very few people who make it big and make the big bucks. So many people want to make films or be involved in tv production or some aspect of the movies. You have to expect it to be very hard to get in or make good money.

Think of people who just want average jobs in an office--we can't even get them...

I used to want to be a writer but the idea of having to deal with the layers of scams and backhanders and other baloney just to get a book read puts me off.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:32 AM

5,617 posts, read 14,636,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I think half the ads are b.s.
Some lame brain says, 'let's see how many hoop jumpers are out there in case we need someone.'

Ad--Must love widgits, live and breathe widgits. Must have 11 years experience with every operating system in creation (knowing how to chew gum while standing on your head and speaking 3 languages (Mandarin and Cherokee wind talking languages preferred), must be PC, must have no personal life whatsoever, must be willing to work early/late/holidays for reduced pay. Must enjoy dealing with management who will spend half their days 'talking bulls*it while you work very hard,' must be willing to give up lunch times and breaks (if we offer them as a perk).

Submit your resume in triplicate with your blood type, your weight, height, and your sexual orientation to us within 3 minutes of this ad being placed or you are SOL....

LOL!!!
this is very very funny, I have also been reading your story however I do see for the first time a little disillusionment in your post, which I never saw before. Keep your chin up! This is very funny and I am glad you can at least laugh.

I think you should keep your sense of humor and I have a feeling something good is going to come to you soon!!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 AM

6,966 posts, read 7,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It's a brutal world out there looking for jobs, just ask a lot of people starting out in the film industry now. My editor has done great work for me, one music video he edited for me has been selected to 7 film festivals now, and he has fantastic skills (Photoshop, some After Effects, Avid, Premiere, and Final Cut, so he's trained on all three major editing systems and capable at each), but he's applied sometimes to 50 positions per day, some HORRIBLE pay, like stuff along the lines of $500 for two weeks, and he had no hits, again and again.

I am not really surprised because every time as an employer that I post looking for a position, whether it's a cinematographer or a grip or a 1st Assistant Camera, etc., I get between 75 and 200 resumes. Of those, at least 50% are very good, probably overqualified for what I'm doing (i.e. I'm surprised they are not getting better work and my shoots would be "small" for their level of experience), another 25% are definitely solid and adequate, and only 25% are between not that great and purely speculative. That still means anyone's odds of getting hired on my projects are not good, and this is for pay that is usually meh / blah. I usually pay more than most anyone else on Craigslist, a lot of those people expect great employees for nearly free, which is so depressing, but my pay usually is no better than $15 to $25 per hour tops. I have posted for positions paying $50 for a PA (the peon of the set, basically) for instance and there are so many people who apply just because they want the experience or to pad their resumes, and all of that for $50 for a 12-hour day.

It's amazing how brutal the job market can be.
I'm in the digital field but in the printing trade instead. Very competitive to the point that after over 30 years in the field I may be forced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search