Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Good for you. You must've done an incredible job answering the phones this year to get that fat bonus!
I work remotely 100% of the time, so the only phone I answer is my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 07:05 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Y'all need to get back on topic and fast. Stop the attacks on each other.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
With today's job market, I wouldn't do anything different then what they set up. That's my opinion.

I believe you think it might not be right or you wouldn't ask!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Well that's just absurd.

I wouldn't be causing you ANY inconvenience. In fact, you wouldn't have to do anything other than what you've already done. How would I be seen as a pain in the ass in this scenario?
I am giving you the opinion that is often expressed by my manager, who hires about 30 people a year, who all travel in for multiple interviews. He has to approve the flight. If there is a change, he is aware of it.

I've encountered this situation in the past, several times, and he looks poorly upon people changing interview reservations that have already been made. He sees it as a sign of someone who is going to want "more, more, more". The notification that someone is changing their flight plans is met with a sigh.

Quote:
Well, luckily a travel secretary's opinion doesn't really matter when it comes to hiring decisions.
You would be really surprised. That "Travel Secretary" has most likely worked very closely with your hiring manager for quite some time.

My boss trusts my opinion and often asks me how the applicant was during the set up of the interview and travel. The way applicants act towards support staff reflects upon their personality as a whole. When it has come down to two people for 1 spot - my boss FREQUENTLY asks what I think.

I make close to 6 figures as a "Travel Secretary", as you put it.

I don't answer phones either.

Last edited by newtoli; 12-07-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I am giving you the opinion that is often expressed by my manager, who hires about 30 people a year, who all travel in for multiple interviews. He has to approve the flight. If there is a change, he is aware of it.

I've encountered this situation in the past, several times, and he looks poorly upon people changing interview reservations that have already been made. He sees it as a sign of someone who is going to want "more, more, more". The notification that someone is changing their flight plans is met with a sigh.

You would be really surprised. That "Travel Secretary" has most likely worked very closely with your hiring manager for quite some time.

My boss trusts my opinion and often asks me how the applicant was during the set up of the interview and travel. The way applicants act towards support staff reflects upon their personality as a whole. When it has come down to two people for 1 spot - my boss FREQUENTLY asks what I think.

I make close to 6 figures as a "Travel Secretary", as you put it.

I don't answer phones either.
Let people like him think what they want. The best part is that we "secretary's" are usually higher paid then the low level "executive wanna-be's" who think that they know it all. I guess that's the reward for dealing with them all day.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM

83 posts, read 177,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Let people like him think what they want. The best part is that we "secretary's" are usually higher paid then the low level "executive wanna-be's" who think that they know it all. I guess that's the reward for dealing with them all day.
You sure talk about titles alot for someone who "doesn't care" about them.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
I would call the airline and see if you can pay to switch the ticket. If you don't take the initial flight Monday you may not be able to take the return flight home, or so I've heard. Never actually tried it.

Personally I would not change it, or take another flight. If you do not take the flight, A) your return flight will likely be canceled B) They probably will find out that you were not on that initial flight...

Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I don't think it's absurd. The implication from your original post is that the company had already bought the ticket. Unless they bought you a ticket without mentioning it to you first, you had a chance to make this request prior to them making the arrangements. The person you are interviewing with is probably not the one who made the arrangements, so it's no skin off his nose. The AA or travel secretary, on the other hand, might consider it a nuisance if s/he had to change the itinerary.

Luckily, it sounds like it has worked out for you here, but at another company, you might have had a different outcome.
This is not necessarily true. I had an out of town job interview last month. When I spoke with the hiring authority, we talked about having me come in a day or two ahead of time or stay a day or two afterwards--all at their expense. I told him I was flexible either way. When the admin booked the flights, she did neither and they were non-refundable.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
I have booked interviewees to come in a day early or stay a day late.

What raises flags with my boss is changing itineraries after the fact. He is not a fan of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
This is not necessarily true. I had an out of town job interview last month. When I spoke with the hiring authority, we talked about having me come in a day or two ahead of time or stay a day or two afterwards--all at their expense. I told him I was flexible either way. When the admin booked the flights, she did neither and they were non-refundable.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have booked interviewees to come in a day early or stay a day late.

What raises flags with my boss is changing itineraries after the fact. He is not a fan of that.

Well, I chose not to rock the boat and flew in on the assigned flights (3000 mile flight, all day interview and all done in just under 36 hours). But it didn't leave me with a great impression of the company. If internal communication is that poor with something that simple, then there are larger problems. Folks need to remember that the company is being interviewed by the candidate as well as vice-versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search