Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

I once didnt get contacted for six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
it would be hard for me not to hang up on a employer who calls me six months later

Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,869 times
I applied through monster.com at like 4pm, got a call back in like 30 minutes lol.

The funny part was that once he mentioned the company and his name I remembered seeing the position posted in my schools career connection website posting board. When I applied through monster I didn't know it because the employer was confidential. I was going to apply for the job anyways with the email listed in the schools posting board the next day too lol.

The funny part was that the guy said he didnt get ANY responses when he put the position in the schools career board but he got alot through monster.com, even from people from Boston, Sacramento, etc...

Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
100% of the online applications I did I never heard back from. 100% of the jobs I had personal connections with I heard back from! Most online application systems are a dead end for many reasons. Not that they are always a waste of time, but anytime you can get your foot in the door it will really help.
Same here. For the company that type of HR policy is very destructive to the company image. The company should seek to send a verification e-mail when the resume is received and give details on how the job process will be conducted (when the job will be filled, deadlines etc.). Once the resume is eliminated an email should be sent saying the job has already been filled.

Most of this can be automated so it isn't like I am throwing out some radical idea.

I am surprised a lot of companies haven't smartened up to this.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
TABBCAT--what field are you in?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,661 times
Applying for jobs online may be convenient, but sometimes those online applications are overlooked by most if not all employers. That is why if I see a job that I am interested in, I go to their office (or print out an application online), turn in the app plus resume, then follow up at the beginning of the week. I don't know why we have to apply for jobs online if employers overlook these applications.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
Applying for jobs online may be convenient, but sometimes those online applications are overlooked by most if not all employers. That is why if I see a job that I am interested in, I go to their office (or print out an application online), turn in the app plus resume, then follow up at the beginning of the week. I don't know why we have to apply for jobs online if employers overlook these applications.

i will saqy that back in 2005 I got 3 interviews from applying to jobs online through careerbuilder. So I havent given up on it completely but I will start going to company websites in addition to applying online.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
I never heard back from co's when applying for a position online lol. I call it the HR abyss black hole. Resumes/CV's find their place amongst left socks in another dimension.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
TABBCAT--what field are you in?
I'm in IT.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
it would be hard for me not to hang up on a employer who calls me six months later
Then you probably don't need a job that badly. I'm assuming it's a job/employer you wanted to work for if you applied to them originally, so why wouldn't you talk to them even if they called you 6 months later?

I once interviewed for a position, which I ultimately did not get - but I didn't get a call to tell me I didn't get it. I never got a call-back so I assumed I was done. Three years later, I get a email from one of the managers that I originally interviewed with and he told me he was really impressed with me when we first met and he had another opportunity and asked if I was interested. I went in for a interview and they wound up offering me the job. This was my first job where I broke the 6-figure mark. So personally, if I am interested and in the market - it wouldn't matter to me how long it takes for me to get a call back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search