Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times

Advertisements

I hear you Cali. You're right on the mark. And how about their email addresses? My daughter's is not offensive or silly by most standards, but I cringed when I realized it was being put on her college applications Then again, it's the same one she's been using for the past 10-years so how bad could it be if it was conceived by a 10-yr old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I hear you Cali. You're right on the mark. And how about their email addresses? My daughter's is not offensive or silly by most standards, but I cringed when I realized it was being put on her college applications Then again, it's the same one she's been using for the past 10-years so how bad could it be if it was conceived by a 10-yr old.
I love the ones that are like whitechocolate@.... or bigpimpingpapa69@....

I laugh my head off....and then pass up their resumes, not calling them in for interviews. People don't think, especially 20somethings but you would be surprised at 30somethings and beyond.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

I laugh my head off....and then pass up their resumes, not calling them in for interviews. People don't think, especially 20somethings but you would be surprised at 30somethings and beyond.

i never understood why a email address was on someone's resume, it's not like a employer sends you a email when they want to bring you in for a interview.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
Yes and I wasn't expecting it nor was I remotely ready. They could have at least scheduled it or asked if it was a good time.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 AM

47 posts, read 182,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
i never understood why a email address was on someone's resume, it's not like a employer sends you a email when they want to bring you in for a interview.
I've been offered many interviews that way, maybe it's just not common in your town or your industry?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobellaxx View Post
I've been offered many interviews that way, maybe it's just not common in your town or your industry?
well explain to me how that worked, becausei thought they had to call you to arrange a interview.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
I've had plenty of employers contact me and set-up interviews via email. It's not as uncommon as you think. I've had them send me more detailed job descriptions via email, send me a number of dates for interviews and asked me what date would work better for me, etc. And I am in senior level roles, and it is common.

Personally, if you are looking for a job - why would you not put your email? I would have every form of contact on my resume so I don't miss them. Would it hurt you to have an email there? Considering that all email accounts are free and takes about 5 minutes to create a john.doe@email.com account, there really is no reason why people should not have a professional one on their email.

Calipoppy, I agree! I've interviewed many people in the past and always pass on the ones who have inappropriate email addresses. I have a friend who asked me review his resume before, and his email was jekylnhyde@emaildotcom. LOL!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I've had plenty of employers contact me and set-up interviews via email. It's not as uncommon as you think. I've had them send me more detailed job descriptions via email, send me a number of dates for interviews and asked me what date would work better for me, etc. And I am in senior level roles, and it is common.

Personally, if you are looking for a job - why would you not put your email? I would have every form of contact on my resume so I don't miss them. Would it hurt you to have an email there? Considering that all email accounts are free and takes about 5 minutes to create a john.doe@email.com account, there really is no reason why people should not have a professional one on their email.

Calipoppy, I agree! I've interviewed many people in the past and always pass on the ones who have inappropriate email addresses. I have a friend who asked me review his resume before, and his email was jekylnhyde@emaildotcom. LOL!

well i just added my email to my resumes which is the first letter of my first name and my last name @inbox.com

Old 01-23-2009, 03:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Yes and I wasn't expecting it nor was I remotely ready. They could have at least scheduled it or asked if it was a good time.
That is the whole purpose...to catch you off guard. I have never understood why job seekers don't get the fact that a phone interview is really a screening interview. We are trying to ELIMINATE candidates at the phone interview stage. No one is going to interview all candidates out of the 150-200 resumes that are received for 3 open positions. We are trying to narrow the number of face-to-face interviews to no more than 5-7 per position.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 PM

83 posts, read 177,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Yeah, an email address really says alot about how good a worker someone can be.

People like you.. bringing this nation down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search