Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Don't take this personally, but it doesn't sound like you need a job right now. With the weak economy, there are thousands of people looking for a job, and I'm sure any one of them would be willing to go for a interview on a Sunday. If your reasoning for not going to the interview is because you want to sleep late, then you really don't need the job.
What if I'm just totally upfront and honest and say, "Hey, I'm happy to come in on Sunday, but I really like to sleep in, so can we make it around 4pm?"

Or my other approach is, "Look, I really feel strange putting on a business suit on Sunday, so I'm wondering if it's okay if I could come in dressed casual in sweat pants?"

Or, even better, I could ask them to meet me at IHOP. If I'm lucky, they'll buy me pancakes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
What if I'm just totally upfront and honest and say, "Hey, I'm happy to come in on Sunday, but I really like to sleep in, so can we make it around 4pm?"

Or my other approach is, "Look, I really feel strange putting on a business suit on Sunday, so I'm wondering if it's okay if I could come in dressed casual in sweat pants?"

Or, even better, I could ask them to meet me at IHOP. If I'm lucky, they'll buy me pancakes!
After ready many of your other thoughtful posts, I really (REALLY!) hope you're joking.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
After ready many of your other thoughtful posts, I really (REALLY!) hope you're joking.
I just want my future employer to know that, "Hey, I'm not available at your every whim! I have a life, too!"

Sunday is my time. If someone wants to interview me on Sunday, then they need to be part of my routine, and that includes sleeping in, pajamas, and pancakes at IHOP.

Speaking of which, did I hear anybody say UNION....? Because I'm ready to join one. If people think they can make me work on Sunday, then it's time to unionize....

Holy smokes. What are they going to be asking for next? Folks, this is scary! I hope everyone is paying attention.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,357 times
Filled out the application on a Sunday
Did an interview on Sunday
Got the job on Sunday
Started on a Sunday

The first 3 on one day, the last one the following week. Boy did I get lucky! I was only out of work for 10 hours LOL!

Hmmm... pancakes at IHOP! Thanks! I'm going there now! Night!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:08 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,743 times
I interviewed on a Sunday once. I flew to another town on a weekend and the manager of the company was nice enough to spend time on his weekend to meet with me. Guess he could have told me he would rather sleep in
I got that job by the way....
Honestly, if someone ever told me that they wanted a job interview later or another day so they could sleep in I would pass on interviewing them altogether. If someone is a PITA about interviewing I figure they will be a poor hire.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
I have worked for a firm that particularly liked to do interviews on weekends. It allowed any applicants with a current job the opportunity to interview without either tipping someone's hand or giving a false excuse to miss work. it also meant that people in teh office would not see who was interviewing (this is a small city and word gets around in my prefession.) It also allowed out of town people more leeway in their arrival.

Once they started the trend it just stuck because they could interview a couple of people on a Saturday and have all the interviews fresh in their mind when making a decision.

I think asking what hours they work with a wink would be fine but don't mention the IHOP or need to sleep in.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Here is a story about Sunday and job interviews.
We moved to this area in Sept.'07. My husband got a temp job pretty quickly but was not happy with it. He continued to look for better jobs. Well, one Sunday a few weeks later we walked in from the supermarket and this guy called for him.

It was someone with a really good job (especially for this area). He and my husband spoke by phone. This was about 3 in the afternoon. On a Sunday. My husband tells the guy, I would love to come down but I am not dressed for an interview. The man says, who cares, come down.

Long story short, my husband gets the job.

I guess they may want to either see 'how willing' you are (maybe it's to see how spontaneous you are). Or perhaps the manager likes to use Sundays because he or she is very busy on weekdays.

The only red flag I would have is 'are other people going to be around?'

I knew of a girl who was raped on a job interview years ago when the manager wanted to see her 'after hours.'

So you may want to bring someone along to sit in the car or just feel out the situation a little more. The type of business can indicate if they work on Sundays. You can ask them what are the normal hours of this job if you are really unwilling to work Sundays.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
I have to believe this thread was started in jest.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:22 AM

I personally don't think it's polite to ask someone to an interview on Sunday for a M-F job. I think it says something about the company, how they treat employees and how they organize their time and what they'll expect from you once your hired.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
It would be a deal breaker for me. I think it's weird. I also once had someone call me at 10:00pm at night who wanted me to come interview and I declined. That's just a bad sign. I work for attorneys so I have to be careful. Some of them are nut jobs, especially the sole practitioners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search