Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM

173 posts, read 968,032 times

Advertisements

I do understand the need for online job applications as a way of weeding out applicants.
But must they be so long and take so much time to complete?

I recently filled one out, it had like 11 screens. Towards the end it asked me a series of questions based on how many years of experience: as a drop-down menu and rate your experience: beginner through advanced, also as a drop-down menu.

As I always do I reviewed the entire online application. I then got this automated response: thank you but you aren't qualified for this position, in so many words.

Now the ad only referenced I set of years which I exceeding, but I have no idea, where I failed in terms of qualifications.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I can't believe companies are using software to judge job applicants.
Are companies just lazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,089 times
I think the online application are ideal in finding the right people for certain jobs. A lot of jobs (especially retail) hire a lot people throughout the year so it will be hell for one Human Resource Rep. or Managers to look through each application.

The main reason for the computer/online apps is to make the selection process easier and more reliable. I guess you probably had questions that asked "If you saw X person stealing; what would you do? (Choose A,B,C,D). So based on your scores and years of experience that's how they determine if someone is a worthy caninidate.

Now keep in mind the online/computer application is just the beginning. If you pass that, the majority of the time you will have do a couple of interviews with employers to really make sure you are the right person for the job.

I have no problem with the applications. I would rather do them online than fill them out by hand.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:38 AM

22 posts, read 75,204 times
I am dealing with the personality screens for the first time. I don't steal, period, and I don't let difficult people get to me. I understand they want to weed out theives and people with anger management problems. But the way some of these questions are worded, "agree" and "disagree" BOTH seem wrong in their own way. This is driving me nuts.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
I do understand the need for online job applications as a way of weeding out applicants.
But must they be so long and take so much time to complete?

I recently filled one out, it had like 11 screens. Towards the end it asked me a series of questions based on how many years of experience: as a drop-down menu and rate your experience: beginner through advanced, also as a drop-down menu.

As I always do I reviewed the entire online application. I then got this automated response: thank you but you aren't qualified for this position, in so many words.

Now the ad only referenced I set of years which I exceeding, but I have no idea, where I failed in terms of qualifications.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I can't believe companies are using software to judge job applicants.
Are companies just lazy?

Yes!! and I hate them! Why? Because you waste your time, but not theirs! Yes, 11 screens and 60 minutes later, and one or 10 more screens to go, they finally tell you that you are not psychologically qualified...oh boy and a paint store at that!

Did it once, but will never do it again. I feel if I am going to waste my time, then you have to waste yours! ...The first time I did one of these psychological profile tests was for a hotel, for a waitress job, but at least they had a H.R. person who they paid to take care of me, while I took their test.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
oh i HATE HATE HATE applying online for anything.

the one company i really want to work for has online applications only, and their program doesn't work half the time. if only i could get them to look at a paper resume once they might actually want to hire me.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
oh i HATE HATE HATE applying online for anything.

the one company i really want to work for has online applications only, and their program doesn't work half the time. if only i could get them to look at a paper resume once they might actually want to hire me.

Well, go ahead and do it!!

Apply online and send your resume in the mail, but you will have to find out the name of the person who is running the department to have a better chance of he/she looking at it!

Old 04-11-2009, 06:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Well, go ahead and do it!!

Apply online and send your resume in the mail, but you will have to find out the name of the person who is running the department to have a better chance of he/she looking at it!
I've tried it, but it's a big agency with a bunch of bureaucracy, and nothing's available right now. Next time though.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:21 PM

21 posts, read 125,921 times
Default Why Online Applications are so long

Companies are only interested in hiring robots and mindless puppets who will do everything they are told to do like trained dogs. They figure if you'll take the time to fill out a pointless 60 minute application then you MIGHT be the kind of mindless drone they want to hire who will be happy making $8.00 per hour with no benefits for the next 10 years of your life with no possibility of advancement.

If you feel that spending 60 minutes of your time filling out the application is too much trouble, then you obviously have too much self respect and confidence to ever be a trained dog of an employee and therefore you have no place in their slave factory anyway.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Every company I have applied for (except USAJOBS, government jobs) has me create a profile. I only enter all that stuff once. I also upload a resume or two or three - different tailored resumes for different type jobs. I then search jobs, put an X in the boxes of jobs I am interested in, and my information in my profile is used for the application. Easy.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Fortunately, I've encountered some employers that are actually abandoning, or at least minimizing, their online applications, having found that they are a huge turnoff to the most desirable applicants, and many times do not reduce the time or work involved in hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search