U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 54,904,762 times

Advertisements

My interview was scheduled for today at 10am and it was 2 hours away from my home, so I woke up 6am to have a lot of time to get ready and around 7:45am, I was almost ready to leave and was in the bathroom and the phone rings. I wasn't going to answer it because I thought it was my mom but something told me to go look and I saw that it was the job calling. The lasy called and left a message and said that the lady I was supposed to interview with didn't make it in today and was wondering could I come in tomorrow at 10am or 2pm.

So that means if I never answered the phone I would have traveled 2 hours to find out the lady who I was interviewing with was not in today. Can you believe how unprofessional this is? And I thought I was doing the right thing by choosing monday to come in instead of tuesdat.

I'm not going to the interview and no longer have any interest in the position. So pissed off right now,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 AM

24,671 posts, read 65,158,997 times
Well I guess you've answered the question for yourself but yes, I would go. Had the company not been able to reach me and I had showed up to find that the person scheduled to interview me was not there then I would hope that the company would reimburse me, bend over backwards in whatever way necessary to apologize and reschedule me. If the company, as happened in your case, DID manage to contact me before I left, then I understand that such things can happen, would be glad that they managed to catch me and would reschedule. You're assuming worst case scenario and don't you think maybe you're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill? Cheers! (And good luck with the job hunt.)

Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well I guess you've answered the question for yourself but yes, I would go. Had the company not been able to reach me and I had showed up to find that the person scheduled to interview me was not there then I would hope that the company would reimburse me, bend over backwards in whatever way necessary to apologize and reschedule me. If the company, as happened in your case, DID manage to contact me before I left, then I understand that such things can happen, would be glad that they managed to catch me and would reschedule. You're assuming worst case scenario and don't you think maybe you're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill? Cheers! (And good luck with the job hunt.)

The only reason I found out about the call was because my lip was bleeding and I was trying to stop the blood. So instead of leaving at 7:45am, I decided to leave at 8am. So if there is no bloody lip I would have went all the way there to find out the lady did not show up on a monday.

What if I was employed and took this day off? Then what? How would I be able to go there tomorrow?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 AM

5,505 posts, read 9,451,129 times
Had they not tried to contact you... I can see your point. But it looks like this may have been unexpected and they did call you to let you know. What else could they have done...?

If it was the other way around, and you had an emergency to attend to (and called them to tell them) - would it be unfair for them to drop you from consideration?

If you were only 10 min. away - would you feel any different?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 AM

5,978 posts, read 18,642,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My interview was scheduled for today at 10am and it was 2 hours away from my home, so I woke up 6am to have a lot of time to get ready and around 7:45am, I was almost ready to leave and was in the bathroom and the phone rings. I wasn't going to answer it because I thought it was my mom but something told me to go look and I saw that it was the job calling. The lasy called and left a message and said that the lady I was supposed to interview with didn't make it in today and was wondering could I come in tomorrow at 10am or 2pm.

So that means if I never answered the phone I would have traveled 2 hours to find out the lady who I was interviewing with was not in today. Can you believe how unprofessional this is? And I thought I was doing the right thing by choosing monday to come in instead of tuesdat.

I'm not going to the interview and no longer have any interest in the position. So pissed off right now,
You know what I think? I think you're finding every reason NOT to get a job in post after post. I don't know what part of the country you're in, but if it is anywhere where the weather plays a big part in whether people can come in to work or not, then them calling you to reschedule is perfectly acceptable. Your interviewer may have had a sick child or any other family member, or may be sick herself/himself. In fact, I think that the fact they called you to reschedule shows professionalism on their part, contrary to your thinking.

A couple of years ago when I lived in CT, I was called to an interview in NYC where my entire family (kids and all as they were young and we didn't want to leave them in daycare while we were in another state) drove for 2 hours one way, parked in Avenue of the Americas at $42 (yes $42 for 3 hours!), only to find out that they misunderstood my salary requirements. I would not have come interview for whatever they were giving me since I can't live in CT close to NY on that. Still, they reimbursed me only for my parking, none for my husband's time off (which we didn't expect) but you know what, that's part of the job hunt. All of your posts here talk about how afraid you are about your public speaking skills and yet most of the jobs that you get a call on involve public speaking. If you really want to work, maybe you should shore up your confidence building skills FIRST before you start sending out anymore of your resumes. And really really think hard about what it is you want to do, what it is you want to change about yourself to get a job, or whether you can afford to be without one.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Had they not tried to contact you... I can see your point. But it looks like this may have been unexpected and they did call you to let you know. What else could they have done...?

If it was the other way around, and you had an emergency to attend to (and called them to tell them) - would it be unfair for them to drop you from consideration?

If you were only 10 min. away - would you feel any different?

10 min away wouldn't have been as bad but I still would have been annoyed that I played my part, getting up at 6am on a monday after the Superbowl and find out there is no interview.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You know what I think? I think you're finding every reason NOT to get a job in post after post. I don't know what part of the country you're in, but if it is anywhere where the weather plays a big part in whether people can come in to work or not, then them calling you to reschedule is perfectly acceptable. Your interviewer may have had a sick child or any other family member, or may be sick herself/himself. In fact, I think that the fact they called you to reschedule shows professionalism on their part, contrary to your thinking.

A couple of years ago when I lived in CT, I was called to an interview in NYC where my entire family (kids and all as they were young and we didn't want to leave them in daycare while we were in another state) drove for 2 hours one way, parked in Avenue of the Americas at $42 (yes $42 for 3 hours!), only to find out that they misunderstood my salary requirements. I would not have come interview for whatever they were giving me since I can't live in CT close to NY on that. Still, they reimbursed me only for my parking, none for my husband's time off (which we didn't expect) but you know what, that's part of the job hunt. All of your posts here talk about how afraid you are about your public speaking skills and yet most of the jobs that you get a call on involve public speaking. If you really want to work, maybe you should shore up your confidence building skills FIRST before you start sending out anymore of your resumes. And really really think hard about what it is you want to do, what it is you want to change about yourself to get a job, or whether you can afford to be without one.

You

Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,614,554 times
I think they did everything they could have. Sh*t happens... your interviewer is just a person so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Also, it's not common that your interviewees come from two hours away, so they probably thought they gave you plenty of time.

Also...you never know, if you had have shown up without getting the message, they might have tried to have someone else interview you. It might have been good (i.e. you wouldn't have been inconvenienced) but it might also have been terrible (they wouldn't have done as thorough a job).

Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I think they did everything they could have. Sh*t happens... your interviewer is just a person so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Also, it's not common that your interviewees come from two hours away, so they probably thought they gave you plenty of time.

Also...you never know, if you had have shown up without getting the message, they might have tried to have someone else interview you. It might have been good (i.e. you wouldn't have been inconvenienced) but it might also have been terrible (they wouldn't have done as thorough a job).
The Job is located 5 min away from my house but I had to go to headquarters for the interview which is 2 hours away,

Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 AM

10,435 posts, read 47,347,174 times
And if you got the job, are you telling us you are/were willing to commute 2 hours each way every day? Wow that can get old real real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search