Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

I read these type of interviews are becoming more common and i was defintely surprised this week and the directions were to talk among each other while three directors observed our interactions within the group. Anyone else experienced a interview like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,646 times
I've walked out of two such interviews once I realized what they were. I'm friendly and outgoing...but I'd much rather be judged on my merits, not how I greet the competition. I'm sure it's a good way to assess certain types of candidates for certain types of jobs, but I assume I'm giving this interview one hour of good faith time and effort. I expect them to do me the same favor, and I feel that's impossible in group settings where they're evaluating more than one person. It just feels lazy to me. Now if I were unemployed, I might feel differently.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,463 times
I have to agree with tabbcat, I've heard of interviews like that, but don't believe in them because you don't really spend the time you need with each candidate before making a decision on whether they move to the next round or not. Hoe someone interacts with a employer is different than how he/she would act with someone that is not a decision maker.

I've been part of panel interviews, which is common now too, where 2-3 managers interview one candidate at one time. Those are pretty tough. It's like having multiple questions shot at you in one time.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Flight attendant interviews are group interviews. 10 or so candidates and one interviewer.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I've walked out of two such interviews once I realized what they were. I'm friendly and outgoing...but I'd much rather be judged on my merits, not how I greet the competition. I'm sure it's a good way to assess certain types of candidates for certain types of jobs, but I assume I'm giving this interview one hour of good faith time and effort. I expect them to do me the same favor, and I feel that's impossible in group settings where they're evaluating more than one person. It just feels lazy to me. Now if I were unemployed, I might feel differently.
After the group exercise, they selected the candidates they wanted to interview upstairs individually.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Sounds like a dog and pony show. Or a "men in black" interview.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
After the group exercise, they selected the candidates they wanted to interview upstairs individually.
If they can't select me for an interview based on my resume and/or phone screen, I probably don't want the job I don't regret not sticking around. What is it, American Idol?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
If they can't select me for an interview based on my resume and/or phone screen, I probably don't want the job I don't regret not sticking around. What is it, American Idol?

I'm thinking because there were hiring a lot of people at once and it was easier to eliminate candidates based on the group exercise. There were three people who not even properly dressed so they probably were eliminated quickly.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Oh, of course it's easier to do that... but it's not cool. It'd be like if I invited four contractors over to my house at the same time to bid on a project. They'd be trying to one-up each other and they'd all sound like ridiculous jackasses.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Oh, of course it's easier to do that... but it's not cool. It'd be like if I invited four contractors over to my house at the same time to bid on a project. They'd be trying to one-up each other and they'd all sound like ridiculous jackasses.

I think I would have left it everyone was there for one position. Now that situation I would have not been interested but since they have 5 poistions open i'm hoping they feel I will be a good fit for one of the other ones if I'm not selected for the one I applied for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search