Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 PM
emh emh started this thread

298 posts, read 851,956 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has been discussed before but I just want to say it again....make sure you dress up for your job interviews!

I just landed a job with the state of Oregon. I went through two interviews to get the job and both times I wore a suit and tie. The job is in Portland and if you've never been to Portland it's not a suit and tie town. In fact, it's not even a tie town. I felt really, really, really conspicuous wearing my suit and tie. In fact, during one of the interviews, one of the people interviewing me was wearing jeans! And no, it wasn't on a Friday.

Anyway, my new manager happened to mention to me that she likes it when people dress up for interviews. She was surprised that some of the candidates didn't dress up. I'm not saying the suit is the reason I got the job...but I'm sure it helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,098 times
The old saying, "first impressions" are lasting..Seems to fit in this case..I always dressed for success on interviews as well..Good Luck in Portland

Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Well, I lived in Portland for 10 years and I always dressed up for interviews. It is common sense. You can always bring out your cowboy boots the next day.

However, potential co-workers look suspicious if you are applying for a secretary position, wearing an expensive suit, Which I have done, but I buy them discounted. So, a nice dress or average suit and clean shoes and trim hairstyle will win the day, but definitely keep the jeans, flannels and cowboy boots away from the interview room.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I always wear a suit and tie unless told not to do so specifically. Surprisingly, some people actually request that you don't wear a suit and tie. Otherwise, it's a suit and tie for me.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
You should always dress up for an interview. It shows you took the time to try and put on a good impression.

Of course, you do have exceptions. My husband got a call off the cuff for an interview one Sunday. The manager asked if he could come down now. My husband said I am not really dressed for an interview. The manager said, "Who cares, if you can come now I would appreciate it." He did and got the job.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,701 times
You should always dress to impress when going for a interview. One thing I would add, is make sure you wear the suit/shirt/tie the way it is supposed to be worn. Iron the shirt before you wear it, make sure it's clean, learn to tie a tie (it takes 5 minutes to learn) right, wear shoes and not black sneakers or boots, and buy a suit that fits! I've interviewed a lot of people before, and yes I have seen every single one of these.

One thing I've told friends is that, I would rather be remembered as the guy who wore a suit and didn't need to, than the guy who didn't wear a suit when I was supposed to.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
I can't remember the last time I wore a suit to an interview. But I almost always wear a tie.

I usually have a rule to go one step above their dress code. If they are business casual I will wear a nice shirt and tie. If they are in jeans I might skip the tie. But if I am in a dress shirt I will usually slap a tie on regardless.

I think alot depends on your career. I am not an executive, in sales, or management so I can get away with it. Most of the customers I deal with are business casual at most. And the engineers at the plants I work with wear jeans.

If the interviewer is wearing a suit it usually means the job is out of my league

But to be honest, as I get farther and farther up the chain, I will probably end up having to buy myself a suit.

It could also depend on the economy. It is like the housing market. It is either a buyer or seller market. In this case an employer or employee market. Doesn't always work to your advantage but I have seen some pretty rough looking interviewees get jobs.

If you want to be safe, wear a suit. But I like to live on the edge

Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
It works in your favor. Even if the person interviewing is dressed casually. It means you put some effort into it and you're serious about the job.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
Yes, do dress up. I have been on interview committees a few times and I'm astonished at how some people don't even TRY. You must dress up because OTHER people who are being interviewed for the same job are dressing up.

Unless you are interviewing for a fashion-plate sort of career (ie, anything in publishing, or something like that), don't worry about looking perfect: just look like you're making an effort. It says "I care about this interview and I want to make a good impression."

Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
I think the same reasoning applies to beards for the guys, even the ubiquitous goatee. I like to wear a beard, but I have always shaved for job interviews.

My Dad put it well when I was young: "I've never heard of anyone not getting hired because they didn't have a beard."

Or a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search