Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There will be a job fair for people who are in my line of work next thursday so I will go ahead and make a go for it since I just bought these $90 dress pants but if I get there and the line is around the corner, I will turn back around and go home because I have no interest in standing in line with hundreds of unemployed people like me.
If you don't want to stand in that line, you may end up standing in a soup line with hundreds of homeless people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
Default What have you got to lose?

Quote:
I I mean has anyone on here ever accomplished anything going to a job fair??
Yes, I got my job at a job fair. I don't know exactly how many people were hired. The lady that interviewed me was complaining to the other hiring agent right before she interviewed me. She claimed that she had only hired 1 person that day (this was towards the end of the fair). Then, she interviewed me and hired me. I guess I sold myself.

I feel that if there is a 10% chance that you will get hired, then why not go? I don't mean to sound snarky, but if you aren't doing anything else, why not go? That seems like common sense to me.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
TVSOAPOPERAguy is just like that, he is the penultimate victim of the economy. His mommy told him about scam job offers, so he don't do that, his ex-boss asked about a password, (same boss he said he would go to work for free before) now he says he told him to buzz off, one job interview had to postpone at the last minute, but did call him at home and rescheduled for later, not costing him a dime, yet he whined for 3 days. Now its a job fair, or for him, a job UN-fair. The guy worked before in background employment investigations and got laid off in Jan 09, 33 years old, doesn't have a clue about the real world except he thinks that it should bow down and beg him to come to work, and how stupid they were to let HIM go. There is not enough cheese in Wisconsin to go with this guy's whine. He is looking for everyone/anyone to give him another excuse to stay at home and say, "poor me, I don't have a job, it must be somebody else's fault, because I'm so special, I deserve it, I've earned it." Sorry bud, you ain't done nuttin better than anyone else, youre unemployed, and the only way you are going to get a job, get out and work at it. Apply for every single solitary job that even looks remotely like you might fit into the parameters of it. If they are paying $ and you want them, go work for them.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
As an unemployed person you are too good to stand in line with unemployed people?
And you are special and better than them because?

Better hurry on home (while you still have one) and wait for the calls from employers that will certainly be seeking you out.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:11 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
As an unemployed person you are too good to stand in line with unemployed people?
And you are special and better than them because?

Better hurry on home (while you still have one) and wait for the calls from employers that will certainly be seeking you out.

Because I have no interest in standing in long lines. Now if it was a case where I can go right inside that would be something different.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Because I have no interest in standing in long lines. Now if it was a case where I can go right inside that would be something different.
Ooooookay, and this is going to help you find employment how?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ooooookay, and this is going to help you find employment how?

I just don't have a interest standing in line with a bunch of other frustrated unemployed people for a hour to get in a place that may not even be helpful. I just will feel like I'm losing precious hours of creatively working my way back into the workforce by just standing in a long line. I will find out what companies will be there so there may be a 15% chance I may go depending on what I may hear.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
Quote:
I just don't have a interest standing in line with a bunch of other frustrated unemployed people for a hour to get in a place that may not even be helpful. I just will feel like I'm losing precious hours of creatively working my way back into the workforce by just standing in a long line. I will find out what companies will be there so there may be a 15% chance I may go depending on what I may hear.
You do not sound like you really want to find a job.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
You do not sound like you really want to find a job.

Yes I do, I just want to do it in ways that all the other unemployed people don't know about. I been doing more researching and networking than applying to jobs online. I have started to lose interested in applying to jobs online.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:51 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I once posted a fake job on craigslist saying I was hiring a couple people for a simple job doing general labor tasks. Pay 8-9 non negotiable.

I got ~200 resumes in 48 hours. Oh and this was back in 2007 before craiglist started charging.

No shortage of labor in this country, even skilled. When someone gives you their overcharged rate, 30/hr just pass on it. You can find someone who will do the job for 10/hr.
And why would you post a fake job on Craigslist? Were you trying to steal other's more desirable resumes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search