Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
JESUS IT TOOK ME A WHOLE HOUR TO FIND THIS COMMENT!! now i can save it.....and share it with my internship class!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you haven't actually attended a job fair lately and are looking it from the outside in approach ---what-i-would-do-if-I went-to-a-job-fair---

listen, please

at the most recent job fairs THEY DON'T TAKE YOUR RESUME

They just TELL YOU TO APPLY ONLINE

Most of us don't go empty-handed, we have tons of resumes, business cards, cover letters, they DON'T TAKE THEM

All this top-down holier-than-thou advice about how to navigate a job fair is just condesending, judgmental, worthless "advice"

Please, lets hear from some people who have actually attended a job fair RECENTLY (BTW, I attended a job fair a year ago and got a job within the same week but that job fizzled due to layoffs, its not the same thing in a job fair now)

For what they're worth, attend them, you never know if you're passing up an opportunity, and TV Guy, I hear ya, but you should give it a chance, anyways.

But please, stop with all the "advice" about how to navigate a job fair, I don't go there dressed in jeans and flip flops with dirty hair and nails, no resume, no idea how to present myself, I'm a seasoned employee, I just don't choose to post all my business here, but you can't do much when they won't even take your information, resume, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,469 times
"Please, lets hear from some people who have actually attended a job fair RECENTLY (BTW, I attended a job fair a year ago and got a job within the same week but that job fizzled due to layoffs, its not the same thing in a job fair now)"

I STILL THINK DANAMLESS MADE A GREAT POST.... AND IMO GOOD ADVICE FOR ANY SITUATION....PREPARE, PREPARE!! YOU STILL MIGHT NOT GET THE JOB, BUT AT LEAST YOU TRIED!!

ALSO I AM GOING TO ONE NEXT WEEK AND AS I TOLD T.V. GUY I WILL REPORT BACK...!

GOOD LUCK!!! ;-)

P.S WHY DO YOU ASSUME DANAMLESS'S POST WAS BASED ON LONG TIME AGO EXPERIENCE, I DONT' KNOW THAT, HOW DO YOU?? HMMM

Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM

I don't know what "the answer" is, either, just following the herd, post on Monster, Dice, etc, attend job fairs, I'm just following the herd, but I sorta like TV guy's attempt to find something outside the usual way of job hunting. You've got to be creative, and I admit, being in line wit 1000+ other hungry job seekers doesn't do much to set you apart.

TV Guy, really, take my advice, don't play the "romance" angle, really, you're playing with fire, you don't know how long that could follow you, Shakespeare knew what he was talking about.

Networking just sets you up as desperate and looking for something, then next thing you're on every "scam" list-----------so, I don't have the answer, either, obviously, or I wouldn't be on this board.

See, for example, I have some "leads" inside contacts, do you really think I'd publish them here? KWIM? No one's going to give away their chance to competetion, there's enough already out there.

Meanwhile I would recommmend doing all you can to close the money gap, find a PT job, WAH job, sell on Ebay, have a garage sale, clip coupons, use food banks, whatever brings in a precious buck!

Good luck to all!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I don't know what "the answer" is, either, just following the herd, post on Monster, Dice, etc, attend job fairs, I'm just following the herd, but I sorta like TV guy's attempt to find something outside the usual way of job hunting. You've got to be creative, and I admit, being in line wit 1000+ other hungry job seekers doesn't do much to set you apart.

TV Guy, really, take my advice, don't play the "romance" angle, really, you're playing with fire, you don't know how long that could follow you, Shakespeare knew what he was talking about.

Networking just sets you up as desperate and looking for something, then next thing you're on every "scam" list-----------so, I don't have the answer, either, obviously, or I wouldn't be on this board.

See, for example, I have some "leads" inside contacts, do you really think I'd publish them here? KWIM? No one's going to give away their chance to competetion, there's enough already out there.

Meanwhile I would recommmend doing all you can to close the money gap, find a PT job, WAH job, sell on Ebay, have a garage sale, clip coupons, use food banks, whatever brings in a precious buck!

Good luck to all!

Well, I listened to your Opinion on Networking and Job Fairs...and both seemed Reasonable and insightful to me, butttttt

I also liked Danamless Opinion, as well.

And every year Law Schools hold job fairs...at their school, and have been doing so for eons....and just because law firms are reneging on job offers, doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water.

And for eons, people use their personal contacts to get jobs...and just because it is now called networking and just because other people try to make off money off other people's misery, AGAIN does not mean that making personal contacts within your field, is wrong.

Again, podiatrists go to podiatrist meetings, conferences, seminars, lecture, write articles, and belong to membership only podiatrist organizations. And when they need a job, they use those contacts. And if their Father and Uncle is a podiatrist ,,,they use that personal contact....

It is Common sense...to me to use whatever personal contact you can use... a rose is a rose, by any other name. Personal contacts you are born with or create through your own talent, charm and perserverance.

Insert your FIELD for the word Podiatrist and the same observation applies..

Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Well, I listened to your Opinion on Networking and Job Fairs...and both seemed Reasonable and insightful to me, butttttt

I also liked Danamless Opinion, as well.

And every year Law Schools hold job fairs...at their school, and have been doing so for eons....and just because law firms are reneging on job offers, doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water.

And for eons, people use their personal contacts to get jobs...and just because it is now called networking and just because other people try to make off money off other people's misery, AGAIN does not mean that making personal contacts within your field, is wrong.

Again, podiatrists go to podiatrist meetings, conferences, seminars, lecture, write articles, and belong to membership only podiatrist organizations. And when they need a job, they use those contacts. And if their Father and Uncle is a podiatrist ,,,they use that personal contact....

It is Common sense...to me to use whatever personal contact you can use... a rose is a rose, by any other name. Personal contacts you are born with or create through your own talent, charm and perserverance.

Insert your FIELD for the word Podiatrist and the same observation applies..
I hear 'ya................

just that lately whenever I go to anything that seems a legit way of networking, job fairs, seminars, even church sponsored or community center job search groups, all I'm met with are "vultures" even the instructors are passing out business cards, obstensibly the seminar is "free' but you only get so much from the instructor before you are directed to his website.......

The anyone else you met there and exchange emails, etc, next thing you know you're being spammed with all sorts of scams, seems all you do is give away a viable email..........

I have a seperate email for "networking" (not the same as for actual job hunting, if you see the difference) I guess you just have to keep your guard up, don't give out too much personal information until you know who you're really dealing with, just because you met them at a "reputable" place doesn't mean they're on the up-an-up

and yes, I am a member of many professional organizations, those, too, are trolled by the "bottom-feeders" I've found it best at those professional organizatons NOT to disclose I'm out-of-work and getting a little desperate, that turns of legit contacts and attracts the vultures, obviously, if I attend a "out-of-work -help" seminar I can't very well hide the fact that I'm out of work.................well, anyways, that's my observatons........

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Most job fairs are a waste of time but when you are out of a job you cannot overlook any possible source of employment and view it as a networking opportunity.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was watching Fox News this afternoon and they were showing how long the line was and ow many people are looking for work. What exactly will I accomplish from going somewhere where 400 other unemployed people are? I mean has anyone on here ever accomplished anything going to a job fair?? My goal is to seperate myself from all the other people in my area looking for work not be in the same place they are trying to sell myself.
Well, girlfriend, you don't live in Florida. And the spelling is separate - s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e. I got caught by "a rat" in "separate".

Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Correct, pvande55, if one truly desires to be reemployed, that is the right approach.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Most job fairs are a waste of time but when you are out of a job you cannot overlook any possible source of employment and view it as a networking opportunity.
Responding to a 3 year old thread is a waste of time too.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Glad the OP mentioned that-this was a prior period of unemployment for him. Confusing when the issue keeps repeating itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search