Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 AM

40 posts, read 128,800 times

Advertisements

The local community college had a great idea. Offer a class on job hunting. It would be subsidized by the college to keep tuition really low. It would provide everyone one on one counselling to help participants plan a job search strategy, improve their resume/cover letter and offer two classes of lecture, discussion and group projects all about how to find a job in today's tough economy. Because everyone would be working together in class, it was felt people would learn more than they would just reading a book or articles on the topic on the Internet.

In session three they would do mock interviews that were video taped and the experts would go through the tape afterwards with the student and discuss their interviewing skills strengths and weaknesses.

It sounded so great, that I signed up. To my puzzlement, I was called last week and told it was cancelled due to lack of enrollment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 AM

173 posts, read 967,977 times
If it is a CC, then they could tell you why they canceled the class.
I assume it's because of the required tuition.
I happen to live in an area that now has an abundance of these free job seeking services, both public and private.
Or if people can afford, then why not pay for a career coach or other such employment service.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 AM

40 posts, read 128,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
If it is a CC, then they could tell you why they canceled the class.
I assume it's because of the required tuition.
I happen to live in an area that now has an abundance of these free job seeking services, both public and private.
Or if people can afford, then why not pay for a career coach or other such employment service.
The free programs are more orientated towards the welfare to work type job applicant. This program was more for professionals or skilled workers who are in need of a new job. The cost for two sessions but a third optional interviewing workshop was less than $50.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
It does sound like a great class to take! So disappointing that it was cancelled.

I can think of perhaps two reasons: 1) maybe the advertising either didn't reach the professional/skilled workers or how it was worded didn't appear to offer anything new to what a professional/skilled worker is already doing. or 2) maybe the timing of the class just didn't work -- when would it have been held? what time of day?

I hope the college doesn't just toss in the towel! Maybe they will re-evaluate and try it again!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,469 times
Well, at my school they offer the job counseling and mock interviews for free at the career center. They also offer it at the job center. They also offer it at the staffing agencies. All for free.

Personally, I have never had a problem finding a job and if I do now, it is not because of me or my resume, it is because they are few jobs in my field.

I prefer to ask the professional people in my family to review my resume, if need be. I also, think many of these people that "teach" you how to do something, tell you things you usually already know. For example, I listened to a woman at a college yesterday, who was hired to handle scholarships at my school. She spent a LOT of time telling the people in the audience how they should not be intimidated and that there is lots of money out there not being taken advantage of. But she cautioned that the applicant must be able to write an essay on how they overcame an obstacle. So, I asked her had she applied for any scholarships when she was a student. She said ONE. I asked her what obstacles did she write about. She said she couldn't remember. I think, if you ask people to do something, you should have some personal experience of doing it yourself. Or if you haven't, show some humilty and tone down the rah, rah, rah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search