Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I found it very interesting that she was agressive in getting me to come down there and fill out the paperwork but not agressive in letting me know where she sent my resume to.
If you were her, what scenario would you rather have:

Sitting on my thumbs doing nothing because there are no jobs to send candidates on. The boss is watching.

Having a meeting with a potential candidate (even though there are no jobs to send him to). The boss is watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,363 times
Well.... usually staffing companies don't submit you to jobs without you approving each submission. If you didn't receive notice, I doubt she submitted you anywhere? Or she shouldn't have, anyway.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Well.... usually staffing companies don't submit you to jobs without you approving each submission. If you didn't receive notice, I doubt she submitted you anywhere? Or she shouldn't have, anyway.
That is true. If anything, they will ask the candidate first before submitting it because they want to make sure the candidate has not already sent their resume to or applied with the employer because they won't get paid the commission if they are not the ones making the first contact for the candidate.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That is true. If anything, they will ask the candidate first before submitting it because they want to make sure the candidate has not already sent their resume to or applied with the employer because they won't get paid the commission if they are not the ones making the first contact for the candidate.

what made her look like a fool was her sending my resume to the craiglist ads I already applied to in the previous week.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
what made her look like a fool was her sending my resume to the craiglist ads I already applied to in the previous week.
That truly shows a lack of contacts. Actually one of the most pathetic "recruiters" I ever met advertised what looked like a good position in the NY Times, etc., and I answered the ad, even though I had never heard of the "recruiting firm" listed. I figured it was a new firm or a specialty firm. Turns out this woman DIDN'T EVEN HAVE AN OFFICE and wanted to meet at Au Bon Pain to interview me!!!!! Hah? It turns out she was the "entire firm" and she was trying to find candidates for one employer where she had a contact (probably a relative). I have also met true bottom-feeders who can't get any clients (employers) of their own, so they try and find candidates for real employment agencies. Looks like the feeding frenzy is over with all these people taking a little crumb on down the line.

As for the interviews you have scheduled, did you get any of them through agencies or all on your own?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:39 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That truly shows a lack of contacts. Actually one of the most pathetic "recruiters" I ever met advertised what looked like a good position in the NY Times, etc., and I answered the ad, even though I had never heard of the "recruiting firm" listed. I figured it was a new firm or a specialty firm. Turns out this woman DIDN'T EVEN HAVE AN OFFICE and wanted to meet at Au Bon Pain to interview me!!!!! Hah? It turns out she was the "entire firm" and she was trying to find candidates for one employer where she had a contact (probably a relative). I have also met true bottom-feeders who can't get any clients (employers) of their own, so they try and find candidates for real employment agencies. Looks like the feeding frenzy is over with all these people taking a little crumb on down the line.

As for the interviews you have scheduled, did you get any of them through agencies or all on your own?
both interviews I have came from me searching on my own.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM

487 posts, read 1,363,868 times
hey tvsguy, is it possible she's upset bcoz all you e-mail'ed is about jobs, but not anything romantic? if she was that aggressive getting you sign up, she must have some contacts not known to others, i suggest you ask her out on a date and try to patch things up

Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 PM

309 posts, read 1,025,760 times
Just say **** or gtfo, that will win her back.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:17 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,687 times
Come on STT, you have to admit, this saga is pretty seriously funny...

Another heads up: I got an interview with a large law firm, who posted with my recruiter (a great guy, so far) and on craigs list. It is not his fault that they posted on both places.
I think they do that to cover all the bases. It is not his fault that he sent me on a job, to which they had already received my resume thru. craigslist. Also, I think they reason the called me in, was increased because he told them good things about me.

Again, I think T.V. guy you are jumping to conclusions and not seeing the big picture.

Part of job hunting is wasting one's time.

I personally have gone for a job interview when I lived portland, where I was on the bus for one hour. Walked two industrial type blocks, met with someone for 8 minutes and then took the one hour bus back after waiting an hour for the bus to come.

It is part of the deal of job hunting. And that is why people HATE job hunting. "everyone wastes your time, since you are in the position of being the outsider looking in" Even the garage guy knows you are job hunting, resume in hand. And not a great feeling.

Do you remember the movies of the 50's where people would be lined up around the block for ten jobs, and back then, they didn't have stimulus packages, social security, welfare, and unemployment. Back then you turned to your Church, your family or the neighborhood gangster.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:14 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,687 times
p.s. Correction: 1920's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search