Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:33 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,936 times

Advertisements

I've never sent a thank you letter. Why would I want to thank someone for doing their job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
I've never sent a thank you letter. Why would I want to thank someone for doing their job?

i think it's because your resume was chosen out of all the ones received. so that's why the thank you letter makes a little more sense to me now

Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Thanks for the Two Great Posts - T.v. guy - a lota fodder from two innocent questions...;-)

Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
The same could be said for tipping a waiter then. No? That is paying some one for doing their job too.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
If you don't understand that, then clearly there is not enough space allotted here to explain it.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
I agree desertsun, but the analogy is not exactly appropo, or it didn't used to be.

before states raised the mimimum wage, waiters and bartender worked for tips. We received approx. 3.00 per hour, but our salary was composed of gratuity, a sort of commission.

But, this is less and less true, since now, states like oregon have a minimum wage which covers restaurant workers.

and yes, people thank people all the time, for doing their job. It is a perk! in addition to their salary.

Like when your employer thanks you for a job well done or staying late. But based on federal law or the lack of it - your employer can actually make you stay late.....although she/he must pay you! (Employment law, is actually quite mind blowing...the things we take for granted are traditional or bargained for, and NOT protected by federal law.)

just a thought

Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Sending a thank-you note to the H.R. person has always seemed so "crawling" to me.
"Thank you, Thank you for acknowledging my existence! I kiss the hem of your garment!" type of thing.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,463 times
Quote:
You do this more often than you think - like tipping a waitstaff, taxi driver, bellhop, etc.

Do you say thank you when a doorman opens the door for you at a hotel? How about when a waiter brings you water when you ask for it? Isn't that saying thanks to someone who is just doing what they're being paid to do?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
I have sent a handwritten thank you note (just a two sentence card) to every HR manager who interviewed me...the worst they can do is throw it away. I think it shows a little extra effort. "Why would I thank someone for doing their job" is an amazing attitude...you get to be friends with your co-workers (or potential co-workers) if you are nice to them. If you busted your a** doing something, wouldn't you appreciate it if someone thanked you instead of just ignoring your work?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,085 times
I never saw a problem with sending a thank you letter. I have sent them in the past. But to be honest every job I have gotten I never remember sending one

It may help to jog their memory about who you are. My one instructor always said it's best to interview last that way they remember you the most.

I might send one on a first interview but not a second. And if I was up in the air about the position I would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search