Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There is no right or wrong answer because I have already stated that I talked to a couple of people who worked in HR and said the people they hired did not send a thank you letter and the people who were not selected sent a thank you letter. That proved that a thank you letter does not factor into the hiring decision because it's OPTIONAL not mandatory.

If you are hiring for an entry-level position, or a position that is going to get tons of resumes from people of similar backgrounds (i.e., recent college graduates, people of a certain skill set), then sending a well-written, substantive thank you note thanking the interviewer for their time is absolutely a plus, and may even get you the job if they undecided between several individuals.

You absolutely must write a thank-you note if it's for a dream job you really, really, really want....and be up-front in the note stating you want the job and that you think you are the ideal candidate for the position!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 PM

50 posts, read 173,019 times
Quote:
I showed good manners last Monday when I sent a thank you email the same day of the interview and have yet to hear anything.

Ummm... so you are blaming the thank you email?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Quote:
I just want to start seperating myself from other applicants in different ways and not doing what everyone else does after a interview.

I read in Forbes magazine that most people --around 75%-- do not send thank you notes after an interview, so you are seperating yourself from the rest of the pack by writing a thank you letter.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Why even bother with a thank you note if you're going to send an email instead of a letter? Way too impersonal/unprofessional.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Why even bother with a thank you note if you're going to send an email instead of a letter? Way too impersonal/unprofessional.

So now I shouldn't thank the interview through email, instead I should go to the post office and mail the letter?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:11 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Oh my.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Quote:
So now I shouldn't thank the interview through email, instead I should go to the post office and mail the letter?
Or do as the experts suggest and write the letter after the interview and hand it to the interviewer or the receptionist. Handwriting the note is incredibly important to give it a personal touch that makes it look like you give a damn about wanting to work for the company. Emailing is about as far from personal as you can get.

But why bother telling you this since its obvious you never listen to any of the advice given by scores of people in this subforum.

Does it really take that much time/effort to write a letter and mail it, or do 90% of the other useful suggestions offered here, or do you just like being a troll?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Damm, that would mean I would have to buy a printer to print out this letter and I refused to spend anymore money until I get a job. My Monthly income is already small and there is no more room in my budget for anymore purchases except FOOD and PERSONAL NEEDS.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:16 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
It took me quite a time, but now I know you've been putting us all on with both threads on jobs.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Or do as the experts suggest and write the letter after the interview and hand it to the interviewer or the receptionist. Handwriting the note is incredibly important to give it a personal touch that makes it look like you give a damn about wanting to work for the company. Emailing is about as far from personal as you can get.

But why bother telling you this since its obvious you never listen to any of the advice given by scores of people in this subforum.

Does it really take that much time/effort to write a letter and mail it, or do 90% of the other useful suggestions offered here, or do you just like being a troll?

What do you mean by hand write it after the interview? In the Lobby? Car? Never heard of this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search