Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 9,576 times

Advertisements

I have an interview event coming up in 2 days and as part of the plan of events, after our day of interviews, the previous new hires and maybe some of the managers will be taking the interviewees out for a non-formal get-together at a bar.

I'm not much of a drinker (just turned 21), so if everybody else is ordering alcohol but I decide to order something non-alcoholic (pop, etc.), could this possibly hurt my impression to them? It's not that I have anything against drinking, just that I prefer not to. I certainly don't want to seem like the "odd guy out" who has no social skills or cannot blend in with the rest of the team.

Any opinions or input? By the way, this is for a science-related career, not a consulting/business position, if that makes any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaorning View Post
I have an interview event coming up in 2 days and as part of the plan of events, after our day of interviews, the previous new hires and maybe some of the managers will be taking the interviewees out for a non-formal get-together at a bar.

I'm not much of a drinker (just turned 21), so if everybody else is ordering alcohol but I decide to order something non-alcoholic (pop, etc.), could this possibly hurt my impression to them? It's not that I have anything against drinking, just that I prefer not to. I certainly don't want to seem like the "odd guy out" who has no social skills or cannot blend in with the rest of the team.

Any opinions or input? By the way, this is for a science-related career, not a consulting/business position, if that makes any difference.

Well, First order One and sip it. Try not to order two.
Second, don't stay to long and don't leave too early.
Third if you are in Portland, OR order a beer. They are really into domestic off the wall beers.
Fourth if you are in major city like N.Y, etc...it is safe as a man or woman to order a white wine. California whites are popular. Chablis is sweet, Chardonnay is medium dry. Sauvignon is acidy imo, Most bars have Chardonnay. If your teeth don't stain easily then order a Red. Bourdeauxs are full bodied, Burgandys are too acidy imo.
Or order a club soda and vodka.
Or Order just club soda and lime.
Or Order a white wine spritzer, which is white wine and club soda, with a slice of lemon.
And Sip, listen and be alert!

goodluck!

good luck!!

p.s. also bring cash (ones and fives) ....you dont' want to forget your credit card at the bar or have to figure out your share!!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
No, I would not order alcohol.
I happen to be a non-drinker and I don't care what other people do. If someone doesn't want me because I don't drink then it is not the right job for me.

I don't think you should feel pressured to 'join in.'
Keep a clear head.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
At a business function you don't order more than 2 drinks, and if you do, stay one behind your boss (the managers/interviewers in this case). Order one or two beers, if you sip it and keep talking enough, no one will pay any attention to how much you drink.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
It's not entirely impossible that although this is billed as an informal get-together, it may be an opportunity for management to see how their prospects handle themselves in such a situation. If you don't normally drink then don't drink. Cheers and good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,463 times
If you don't drink, then you'll be fine if you order a soda or something non-alcoholic. I am not a drinker neither, and always order something non-alcoholic when I go out with co-workers and/or managers.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
In this day-n-age and in my little circle of the world it's perfectly acceptable and no one looks twice if someone in a group orders a nonalcoholic beverage. Just be yourself. It's irksome when someone orders a nonalcoholic drink with a loud announcement to the entire bar -- that kind of thing makes others who've ordered a gimlet or a beer or a chablis feel uncomfortable.

Just remember - don't salt your food before tasting it ... psychologists say that shows a personality trait of leaping before looking :-)

Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
I wouldn't drink, if it comes up, make some easy statement, not sure where this is, but, maybe, Im driving later, Ive got responsibilities with my family, anything that would show you can make a decision for future stability. Keep your head clear, no alcohol is better. Even a Dr's appt the next day is a good excuse, something that would sound solid, but not weak. Or, just, I don't think I would like one tonite, thank you. Thats fine too, its your choice. Be assertive, and let it go. Order what you want, dont think twice about it. don't explain it, people won't question it. Be yourself.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
No booze! Remember, some people *can't* drink, and others choose not to. I just don't like alcohol, and certainly wouldn't have a drink to suit others in a job situation.
You could order something non-alcoholic that might look like alcohol in the glass (unless everyone is swilling from a bottle).
Only a lout would insist that you should be drinking alcohol, at a job event or any other. I know the job situation is tough, but you don't want to be working for a lout.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Do not drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search