Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I applied for a job on March 3, 2009 and I was checking my email and today I get a email saying

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your recent application for the position of Electronic Marketing Assistant at the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance. We received over 300 applications, and the process was extremely competitive. Based on our current needs for the position, we are unable to offer you an interview at this time. I'm sorry that this was not a fit but wish you every success in your search.

Is this not a POINTLESS email? I mean I would have pretty much figured I was not selected after never receiving a phone. I should email the person back and ask are they on medication-lol

OMG- you have complained in previous posts about not hearing anything after an interview and now you complain about getting a letter after an interview. Grow up. Stop whining. Evolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
OMG- you have complained in previous posts about not hearing anything after an interview and now you complain about getting a letter after an interview. Grow up. Stop whining. Evolve.

It was not after a interview, it was after a resume was submitted. Those kind of rejection emails are not necessary.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
hmm T.v. guy,,, I see your point in the electronic age.

But, not too long ago, like 1998, people sent their resumes for example to the New York Times for a reporter job. Then the NYT sent them a letter saying thankyou but no thank you.

But of all those no thank yous, one LUCKY person or maybe two got a letter saying come to New York and bring your published materials or college editorials, etc... and those two people would treasure that come hither letter, even if when they got to the interview they were turned down after the 2nd interview. And some would save their rejection letters until they got to be president of a rival newspaper and then thumb their nose.

Rejection letters are the salt in the wounds that drive some people, especially if you are Truly Driven to Succeed in Your Field amongst your Chosen Peers!!

good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I applied for a job on March 3, 2009 and I was checking my email and today I get a email saying
You are a pioneer TV, breaking new ground every day and blogging it ad nauseam on here.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
As long as they're timely in mailing them out then I think the e-letters are a good idea. That way, the applicants won't waste further energy wondering what to expect.

Did their applications state that they would contact you via email to schedule an appointment? If so, perhaps that's what got you so disappointed. I've been out of the job search for so long that I really don't know "how" things are done anymore.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
What you can expect to a job application/resume are Either No Response at all OR a Response. The response if you get one comes to you as a letter, phone call or email saying no, we are not interested or maybe we are interested or yes we are interested. '-)

Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Before or after, what's the difference?
I have gotten emails and letters before an interview. It's normal, you can cross them off of your list, then you know which ones you don't need to follow up on. You are following up, right?

You have been at this for a while now, nothing should surprise you.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:42 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I just can't understand why someone would call after sending their resume. Talk about desperation. There is no need for anyone to contact a employer after that sent their resume. I applied for a job last friday which I feel I;m very qualified for and it's only 10 min away but they haven't called yet and I don't plan on calling them asking-"just trying to make sure my resume was received"
Such a "canned response" is standard. I do wish they could customize rejection notices, but if they got dozens to hundreds of them, I can only understand

Only other "standard" is to get no response, which is also disappointing, but you're left to wonder that at least you may still be in the running. However, I've talked with folks who say 9 times out of 10, if they REALLY want you, they'll reach out to you sooner. It's only for the exceptions that they get an emergency or something happened with the HM that they can't get back to you when they should've, sooner.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 AM

326 posts, read 199,504 times
I wonder if the OP has gotten a job in the 9 years since he posted this thread?

Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
OP, yes, I have received many "canned" rejection emails. I do not feel they are necessary, but don't take them personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search