Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 02:34 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,468,092 times

Advertisements

Rejection letters make me angry but I appreciate them. I cross them off my list and move on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 03:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,348,232 times
I'd rather hear back, than hear nothing.

However, in the late 1980s I received a very rude response letter from a firm that I sent my resume to. (I only sent them my resume once and had never contacted them by phone or bugged them about a job). If the internet had been around back then, I would have posted that letter online and there would likely have have been some public backlash towards this firm and their rudeness in responding to me.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,278,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I wonder if the OP has gotten a job in the 9 years since he posted this thread?
I don't believe so, because someone in HR usually says, "We will keep your resume on-file in the event something that matches your skills in the future becomes available".

It would be rude not to wait for HR to contact you again. You know, "NEVER BURN ANY BRIDGES" as they repeatedly say on C-D. Cause 9 years later they could contact you, tell you to come in for a job interview and if you say you already have a job, they will be very upset for you. Better to sit on the sidelines and do exactly what HR tells you to do. If it takes your whole career to do so, you just do it.

However, this does open up some other problems explaining the 9 year gap in the resume. Oh...simply say, "I was waiting for HR to contact me". There you go, problem solved!

Old 07-21-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Rejection letters make me angry but I appreciate them. I cross them off my list and move on.
How this is done in 2018, is they have a software system for managing this in HR. They select who to move forward on, or who they hired and then it kicks out the template for the canned reply to everyone else who applied. So there is no personal replies to anyone in that kind of system.

There really doesn't need to be, because regardless of what you say, you can't change their mind. If the letter said, "After looking over your resume, we decided to go with someone who had an MBA". Well, you have an MBA, so you e-mail them back that you indeed have an MBA, and they withdraw the offer from the other person and hire you instead. Do you really think that's going to happen? No. If anything, whatever they say in details for a rejection is going to upset you and it isn't considered constructive feedback. Because that isn't what they are there for.

You have a house. You have a driveway. You need to have a new driveway put in. You call three companies who are highly recommended and get a quote from each of them. They call come out, and spend 30 minutes with you looking over your driveway, talking with you, and giving you a quote. They all come in at the same price. Unusual, but this can happen. So you select one of them.

Do you call back or send a letter to the other two driveway guys telling them they weren't select and honestly say why? It wasn't about price, cause in this example they were all the same. So what could you possibly tell them which would be useful feedback that you are truth with? You liked the color of the guy's pickup truck, so you selected him. You selected this guy because he reminded you of a friend you had in high school. You selected this guy, because his name was easy to remember for you.

Is any of that truthful feedback going to help the other two driveway guys improve to get more work in the future? No. What you actually do is that you ignore the other two guys even if they called you. You look at Caller ID and don't even pick up. Or you ignore their stuff they send you in the postal mail.

Does any of this sound familiar with how a business treats you when you apply for a job? So we can't be surprised that companies don't spend time doing analysis and giving us all feedback. Sometimes the reality is, just like you, they don't have the money to have a new driveway put in and they don't want to admit that, so they ignore everyone who applied.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'd rather hear back, than hear nothing.

However, in the late 1980s I received a very rude response letter from a firm that I sent my resume to. (I only sent them my resume once and had never contacted them by phone or bugged them about a job). If the internet had been around back then, I would have posted that letter online and there would likely have have been some public backlash towards this firm and their rudeness in responding to me.
I like it when a company acts this way upfront. I consider it a favor so I can cross them off my list, or confirm that are a place to avoid. I'd hate for them to clean up their act, and then after being there a few months discover what kind of jerks they really are.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't work there. Still got the letter? You can post about it on Glassdoor if they are still in business. If the company isn't in business any longer that certainly tells you something too.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:15 AM

669 posts, read 578,838 times
Interview..then keep moving forward...no response IS a response. As in no action IS action. I dont expect a rejection letter tho THEY expect a Thank You response to the interview.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:34 AM

29,484 posts, read 22,539,552 times
Classic situation of darned if you do, darned if you don't.

If an employer doesn't reach back to an applicant, whether e-mail or phone, the employer is criticized for being unprofessional. If an employer does reach back whether e-mail or phone, the employer is criticized for content of e-mail, etc. etc.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,753,790 times
I never understood the point of them. If I don't hear back, I keep looking. I don't stop until I am on payroll.

As for OP's original question, yes, quite standard - often followed up by a letter in the mail (as if we need TWO rejection notices).

Old 10-01-2018, 05:07 AM

30 posts, read 18,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It would be rude not to wait for HR to contact you again. You know, "NEVER BURN ANY BRIDGES" as they repeatedly say on C-D. Cause 9 years later they could contact you, tell you to come in for a job interview and if you say you already have a job, they will be very upset for you. Better to sit on the sidelines and do exactly what HR tells you to do. If it takes your whole career to do so, you just do it.

However, this does open up some other problems explaining the 9 year gap in the resume. Oh...simply say, "I was waiting for HR to contact me". There you go, problem solved!
Outside (i.e. not in-house) recruiters are like this. One contacted me wanting to talk about my resume from college, and said something like "we'd like to hear about what you've been up to" and I'm thinking, well, not much, due at least *somewhat* in part to the fact that you guys never bothered to even get me one real interview anywhere, lol...

To add insult to injury they have been sending me e-mails about positions requiring several years' experience, as though this whole time I have been magically accumulating experience just so that I could have the privilege of going back and working for these recruiters. Unbelievable!

Fortunately the first of the month is here, so I won't be hearing from them for another 3 weeks and four days, haha, if ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search