Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Damm after reading your post maybe I should take that job if offered and just become a traveling a$$-lol

hmmmmlalalalhmm

Unfortunately, I find new employees more enthusiastic then old ones...so psychologically, a person out of work for six months,,, is actually more enthusiastic!!

Even working as an intern, you notice how people walk right past you, run out of work at 5pm, etc, etc... not very awe inspiring for the new employee...;-) so don't be too enthusiastic!! you will more than likely be dissappointed, unfortunately ;-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Well he said it wasn't a big deal and seemed like he was going to have me traveling to the part of philly that I'm familiar with but I'm just not a fan of that type of job. I would be more interested in a IN HOUSE position where he is rather than traveling around the city. I wish they had put TRAVELING was a part of the job in the ad because if they did I would not have replied.
I agree. It's in everyone's best interest when an employer can be specific in what they want. Especially in times like this when the details could have decreased the number of applications they got flooded with.

Good luck in your search. Hope you find something good really soon.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
Quote:
And why is that?
As a hiring manager, I look at an individual’s work history as an employment path. Anytime there’s a significant gap I see that as a path that hasn’t been travelled on much. It starts to get a little overgrown and less appealing the longer the gap. I begin to wonder why there is a large gap but it’s usually not evident unless, as noted here, as person is travelling, in school or possibly taking care of an ill family member. I start wondering why someone would be out of work for so long with those amazing credentials.

Sometimes the path less traveled is less traveled for a reason. I don’t want to go down the less traveled path as I don’t know what to expect. As before, everything else being equal, I’ll always hire the person who has a nice flowered path.

And for the superficial….consider the guy hunk or the gorgeous lady who are in their 30’s and never been in a relationship. They look great but there just must be some reason that they’ve never been in a relationship. Do you take a chance and ask them out or do you go with one who just ended a long-term relationship?

I wouldn’t take advice on this board too seriously, including mine. Go see an employment counselor at your local job center.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
It seems that many people still did not internalize that the current situation is changed and think in 80s or 90s terms.
Today employers are in the driver seat. They write anything they want in their ads, they may not read your resume with attention, they may even ask stupid questions repeatedly. We, job seekers have no influence and should understand that today we are in for a different ball game. For example, being out of work, or unemployed in the past, automatically disqualifies you from being considered for the job...lol
Here are just a few things that you may experience when hunting for a job:
The interviewer is late or doesn't show at all.
The job disctiption has nothing to do with the real job.
Only after a long interview you are being told that the position doesn't care any salary, is 100% commission based and all spending comes out of your pocket. including travel expenses.
Stupid questions are repeatedly being asked like how well you perform a task after you make it clear you had never performed it.
The interviewer is taking his time detailing what they are looking in a candidate, but almost nothing matches your resume, which lays in front of him.
They ask you to fill in a detailed form with all your personal data including SS before they reveal what position/s is available, just to find out that there is none that fits you.
Head hunters are contacting you. They ask many questions including what are you doing now and what references you have from pervious employers. Only by the end you find out that they have no position to offer.
You are being asked what salary you require before you know what the job actually is.
You are being asked how much you made in your last job and if the figure is above their budget they dump your application.
You are being told (after many interviews) that you are one of 3 finalists and a final decision will be made in 2 days. The interviewer is promising you a personal call by the end of the week. The call never comes and you cannot get in touch with him anymore.
In a last year interview, I showed materials that I created in a previous job. The interviewer showed interest and asked me to leave the materials with him for a week until my next interview. I never heard from him again and he didn't return any of my calls.

Last edited by oberon_1; 03-19-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
As a hiring manager, I look at an individual’s work history as an employment path. Anytime there’s a significant gap I see that as a path that hasn’t been travelled on much. It starts to get a little overgrown and less appealing the longer the gap. I begin to wonder why there is a large gap but it’s usually not evident unless, as noted here, as person is travelling, in school or possibly taking care of an ill family member. I start wondering why someone would be out of work for so long with those amazing credentials.

Sometimes the path less traveled is less traveled for a reason. I don’t want to go down the less traveled path as I don’t know what to expect. As before, everything else being equal, I’ll always hire the person who has a nice flowered path.

And for the superficial….consider the guy hunk or the gorgeous lady who are in their 30’s and never been in a relationship. They look great but there just must be some reason that they’ve never been in a relationship. Do you take a chance and ask them out or do you go with one who just ended a long-term relationship?

I wouldn’t take advice on this board too seriously, including mine. Go see an employment counselor at your local job center.

Well in my case it was ten years straight of employment and only unemployed since the end of January.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
It seems that many people still did not internalize that the current situation is changed and think in 80s or 90s terms.
Today employers are in the driver seat. They write anything they want in their ads, they may not read your resume with attention, they may even ask stupid questions repeatedly. We, job seekers have no influence and should understand that today we are in for a different ball game. For example, being out of work, or unemployed in the past, automatically disqualifies you from being considered for the job...lol
Here are just a few things that you may experience when hunting for a job:
The interviewer is late or doesn't show at all.
The job disctiption has nothing to do with the real job.
Only after a long interview you are being told that the position doesn't care any salary, is 100% commission based and all spending comes out of your pocket. including travel expenses.
Stupid questions are repeatedly being asked like how well you perform a task after you make it clear you had never performed it.
The interviewer is taking his time detailing what they are looking in a candidate, but almost nothing matches your resume, which lays in front of him.
They ask you to fill in a detailed form with all your personal data including SS before they reveal what position/s is available, just to find out that there is none that fits you.
Head hunters are contacting you. They ask many questions including what are you doing now and what references you have from pervious employers. Only by the end you find out that they have no position to offer.
You are being asked what salary you require before you know what the job actually is.
You are being asked how much you made in your last job and if the figure is above their budget they dump your application.
You are being told (after many interviews) that you are one of 3 finalists and a final decision will be made in 2 days. The interviewer is promising you a personal call by the end of the week. The call never comes and you cannot get in touch with him anymore.
In a last year interview, I showed materials that I created in a previous job. The interviewer showed interest and asked me to leave the materials with him for a week until my next interview. I never heard from him again and he didn't return any of my calls.

Oh my God!! Priceless!! just Priceless!! I really felt your pain reading the entire saga of interviewing.....oh boy....but after all the laughter, and the clutching of my stomach with nooo can't be true...

I hope you have better, quality people across the desk from you in your next interview!! and I thank mother earth!! that i have not experienced such crap...;-)

Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
that i have not experienced such crap...;-)
I have, and from my experiences (and others' anecdotes) its the norm for job hunting nowadays.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Oh my God!! Priceless!! just Priceless!! I really felt your pain reading the entire saga of interviewing.....oh boy....but after all the laughter, and the clutching of my stomach with nooo can't be true...

I hope you have better, quality people across the desk from you in your next interview!! and I thank mother earth!! that i have not experienced such crap...;-)
It is not all from my personal experience. Some are mine but others were collected from friends and acquaintances. What I am trying to say, is that times have changed and what once was common sense, today is not. We need to acknowledge that we live in a different reality and tune our expectations accordingly.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
people put last job on their resume but sometimes they just got hired.
that is a fair question why does it anger you?
as to not having a car, that is major i would not buy the explanation no problem.
i dont think so.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
people put last job on their resume but sometimes they just got hired.
that is a fair question why does it anger you?
as to not having a car, that is major i would not buy the explanation no problem.
i dont think so.

My resume said july 2005-to January 2009

The question should have never been asked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search