Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It took me 4 months to realize that a interview is just like a date, let the interiewer do most of the talking.
Given your total lack of success in the dating arena that's a bit of an odd comment but it does provide some insight ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM

107 posts, read 381,956 times
It is scary that some people here have been going at it for years. I decided to necro this thread because it is still relevant. My most recent personal horror story was when a lady pulled off my resume from the internet and wanted me to interview for a media coordinator position. I expressed doubts since I am an accounting/finance person and had no experience in sales/marketing/media. She essentially said "it was fine" and that she preferred accounting/finance people anyway for the position. So I ended up driving 168 miles (84 miles one way) and chatted with her about the company and the position. In the end I got an e-mail saying she found someone "with the specific experience beneficial to the position". Now could not she know that in advance from a resume? Of course she could. It was probably an internal hire and I was there for "equal opportunity purposes" to keep appearances. This is one of the reasons I don't like female interviewers, just as in real life, chatting with them for some time means absolutely nothing, since women frequently like to talk.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Wow...the first part of that, relevant.

The last part, sexist, irrelevant, and stereotypical.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Oh the joy of waking up and finding that someone has resurrected a three and a half year old thread by TVSG! Deja vu all over again! Nothing changes! PRICELESS!!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I had an interview when I lived in Phoenix and I came at the time of the interview, waiting patiently. Well, 10 minutes, 15 minutes past. I went up to the receptionist asking about it. "Well, she's at a meeting, has no interviews scheduled today." Hadn't put me down, forgot, whatever. I knew they told me such and such a time--wrote it in my book. No apology they gave. That was that. I just shook my head, never followed up. Didn't wanna work for a place that was so half as*ed.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
Whenever you are told via email that you will be intervewing with 3-4 people. You go, interview with first guy and afterwards he goes to get the 2nd interviewer, later he returns and you are told that the other 2 got pulled away to some "sudden meeting"... yea I am not getting that job.

Told that the interview will last about 30mins, goes 10mins instead. yea maybe you impressed them enough within that 10mins but I doubt it >_>

Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM

300 posts, read 1,136,726 times
When the employer tells you that "We're are still interviewing other candidates" or "We just started interviewing.............." You can pretty much kiss your chances of getting the job offer good-bye. They say this at the end of the interview and every time someone has told me that I never got the job offer.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
When the employer tells you that "We're are still interviewing other candidates" or "We just started interviewing.............." You can pretty much kiss your chances of getting the job offer good-bye. They say this at the end of the interview and every time someone has told me that I never got the job offer.
Or when they suggest you apply for other positions on the company's website.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
It is scary that some people here have been going at it for years. I decided to necro this thread because it is still relevant. My most recent personal horror story was when a lady pulled off my resume from the internet and wanted me to interview for a media coordinator position. I expressed doubts since I am an accounting/finance person and had no experience in sales/marketing/media. She essentially said "it was fine" and that she preferred accounting/finance people anyway for the position. So I ended up driving 168 miles (84 miles one way) and chatted with her about the company and the position. In the end I got an e-mail saying she found someone "with the specific experience beneficial to the position". Now could not she know that in advance from a resume? Of course she could. It was probably an internal hire and I was there for "equal opportunity purposes" to keep appearances. This is one of the reasons I don't like female interviewers, just as in real life, chatting with them for some time means absolutely nothing, since women frequently like to talk.

Seems like you have to go to interviews and pretend the person never read your resume just in case they never bothered to read it

Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM

107 posts, read 381,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Seems like you have to go to interviews and pretend the person never read your resume just in case they never bothered to read it
Lack of basic human decency is what bothers me in all of this. Making someone jump through the hoops when you KNOW they don't have a shot is just low in my book. Next time someone "pulls my resume off the internet" I will tell them I am not going to be their Equal opportunity/Straw man candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search