Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I just get baffled by the have you ever been fired from a job question. I would have to guess that 35 to 50 percent to middle aged US adults have been fired from a job at least once. I've run into questionnaires that ask if you have ever been disciplined by an employer, again, same thing. What do they expect? Maybe the right thing to do for final candidates is to do a mimi apprentince, even if it something as simple as:
Bring a change of clothes for your interview, after the interview you'll go out and wash this car.
At least that could show work habits.

I worked for an "Agency" that asked:

Have you Committed any Undetected Felonies, If so list them--You may use a separate piece of paper...

Are You a "Plant"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Companies who are legally aware will not say if an employee was fired or not. They will however almost always answer the question: "Is this person rehireable?" If the answer is "no"...then the prospective employer immediately draws the conclusion that the person he is calling about was fired.
That's why it's important to have a complete and up-to-date resume that explains any discrepancies. One may not be rehireable for the simple fact that he or she quit without notice. So you have to be able to explain that and the best time for that is during your initial interview so that there are no surprises when HR calls your former employer.
A better way is to hire an Attorney/Friend to call your past employers, First!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Recently here in IL there was a murder in a burger king. The person who did it was formerly employed there and knew the layout of the restaurant. And it was found that BK did NOT do a background check when they hired this former employee and he had extensive violence and murder charges in his past.
So it is necessary.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM

32 posts, read 304,014 times
Default not sure if I want to work for this company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoang View Post
I had my credit check when I started work at my present job, and I don't directly deal with money. I think if you have low credit, the employer can think that it shows irresponsibility. I've head of employers that want to find out if the person has declared bankruptcy, is in debt, or has lawsuits against them, since they think it gives more motive to steal financially from the company or be more inclined to sue.

The thin requirement I have not heard of before. Unless it's a neccessary requirement for the performance of a job, wouldn't that be discrimination?
After a very successful job interview I was offered a postion within the company but they had do perform a criminal background and to my surprise also my credit. I don't mind the criminal check and think all company need to do this but to check my credit....
I won't be surprise if I don't get this job because I cosigned a car for my sister and it's now been repo...(lesson learned-never cosigned anything for anyone)she's a divorced mother of 4 and having a hard hard time..now my credit is destroyed and probably won't get a job.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 PM

138 posts, read 979,253 times
Some employers are also interested in finding out if an applicant has filed multiple lawsuits against former employers.

If you're considering someone for a job and public records show that this person filed 2 lawsuits in the last several years, you might think twice about this applicant.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,623 times
My job does background checks for all new hires, mostly to avoid hiring illegal immigrants.

I've applied for jobs with Fed-Ex and with airlies. Apparently, the FAA now requires anyone with any connection to airlines to documet their work history for the last 10 years.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:53 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,956 times
I think I read something that said that jobs must explicitly ask seperately from the general question to check your credit. Is that true?

Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM

16 posts, read 54,772 times
Personally I believe any company that requires a credit check where you are not directly handling financial transactions (which there are aplenty) is no one I'd want to work for. It is a big of a red flag as companies that actually do not check references or past employment, even hire you on the spot or over the phone without a face-to-face interview! If you actually have good morals, you will later find out none of these are the type people you want to work for.

I AGREE. Unfortunately, In America workers and those of us seeking work have very little rights anymore. They have ushered in "At-Will" employment along with all of these pre-conditions for hiring. My credit has nothing to do with how well I can perform my job.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:11 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
I think background checks are overrated and could probably be done away with in many at-will employment states.

From one perspective, I am of the opinion, that any company that resorts to background checks, implies for cause employment and should be required to state the length of employment. At-will employment should not require background checks because the employment is at-will and not for specific length or terms (cause) of employment.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
...Credit checks are a poor method of determining a person's character and trust worthiness, believe me. There is some correlation, yes, but it is far from a broad brush that you can paint. I've known people with great credit who out of the blue ended up with over $60,000 in medical bills they could not pay after the loss of a daughter due to a brain aneurysm and being in intensive care for a week. I know people with scarred credit due to stolen identity. I know of people who simply for having ALMOST the same name with ALMOST the same street address 200 miles away in a different town end up with inaccurate negative credit reports. And it is a well-known fact that once these records appear, it is tedious and nearly impossible to remove these scars through the worthless maggots that make up the three credit bureaus in this country.
AMEN!!! I wonder if it ever occurs to any of the companies pulling the credit checks that SOME people could have credit issues like slow payments DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY NEED A JOB!!! It's hard to maintain perfect credit while you're job-hunting and stressing over staying afloat.

In fact, I would suggest that a less-than-stellar credit rating COULD be an indication of just how hard the employee is going to work to make the money to IMPROVE THE CREDIT!! If everything else about this person checks out, then not hiring them due to their credit rating is just plain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search