Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for advice for restarting a job seach?

I was let go in a downsizing in November of 2007 and decided to get a teaching certificate. Well, I've been teaching chemistry and physics and between extremely long hours, disrespect from the students and low pay, I've decided I made a big mistake. Now I have to restart my job search but I'm older and I've, effectively, been out of the market for well over a year because I had this idea that teaching would be a good second career after engineering.

Any advice in how to present the teaching job on a resume? Should I play it off as better than nothing in a bad economy? That doesn't sound right to me. I chose teaching because engineering jobs are leaving my area in droves. In fact, they're leaving the country in droves and I thought I'd like it. I'm regretting the decision now because I feel like all I did was take a low paying job for a while and remove myself from the job market.

I thought a career change was my best option and really thought I'd enjoy teaching (I do most days but I have too many where dealing with disrespect for me and my profession is just too much) but now I'm thinking twice about that. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I have a teaching degree yet never taught anything other than preschool or tutored simply because the myth of teaching jobs is just that...a myth...schools graduate so many people with teaching degrees, particularly education ones and many never get to see inside a classroom to work.

I have a lot of business experience and I do not hide my Masters in teaching. Remember, being a teacher shows you can manage, organize, prioritize and do lots of 'real world' skills.

My last few jobs have been in administration and customer service.

Don't make excuses. Be proud to be a teacher. If you choose to move away from teaching, just say you wanted to get 'back into business' but have a lot of skills you acquired that you can bring to another career.

It's true!

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Right ^^...Be a proud teacher for now.

No, never admit you made a mistake. Say you missed your former line of work so much you can't wait to get back with your new skills.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Thanks you both have great ideas. I hadn't thought about the management skills and yes I need them.

Nor had I thought about simply saying I found I missed engineering. Actually, what I miss is the respect. I miss the challenge too.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:28 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
What SPECIFIC type of engineer are you? There still is hope in Mechanical Engineering / CAD. I was unemployed for 4.5 years because of probation. Then I prayed to God for a job and gave him an ultimatum that I'm a worthless SSDI man not worthy of a good woman because I have a ruined career. I told God I might as well go GAY and get into gay men because I was unemployed 4.5 years and no one was hiring me... So GOD heard my plea and inspired a certain Chicago Recruiter to keep plugging me for Engineering jobs and I finally got one! But before 1st day of WORK God tested if I was gonna go GAY by making a GAY man hit on me... I just talked to him and inquired about that lifestyle but said "no way that's not for me!" {I'm not GAY, I'm PRETTY!}

So pray to God for a job! Maybe tell him you're desperate! Me too, I'm desperate now at 34 weeks unemployed and Chicago Recruiters are ignoring me!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
What SPECIFIC type of engineer are you? There still is hope in Mechanical Engineering / CAD. I was unemployed for 4.5 years because of probation. Then I prayed to God for a job and gave him an ultimatum that I'm a worthless SSDI man not worthy of a good woman because I have a ruined career. I told God I might as well go GAY and get into gay men because I was unemployed 4.5 years and no one was hiring me... So GOD heard my plea and inspired a certain Chicago Recruiter to keep plugging me for Engineering jobs and I finally got one! But before 1st day of WORK God tested if I was gonna go GAY by making a GAY man hit on me... I just talked to him and inquired about that lifestyle but said "no way that's not for me!" {I'm not GAY, I'm PRETTY!}

So pray to God for a job! Maybe tell him you're desperate! Me too, I'm desperate now at 34 weeks unemployed and Chicago Recruiters are ignoring me!
My degree is in chemical engineering but my experience is all automotive. I have background in product design, manufacturing and in product testing.

I've worked with a few gay engineers.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

Very Strange post, but I do get it, that you are annoyed with still being unemployed! Good luck, anyway!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search