Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 14,103 times

Advertisements

OK I admit it, I am unemployed. That is why I am sitting home sitting on my duff collecting unemployment insurance and worrying about the future. It sucks out there!

I went to a seminar recently that was put on by a man who said he had been involved in interviewing and hiring for years. He put on a good show. At the end he encouraged everyone who was looking for a professional job to write their own Resume but to have it reviewed by a professional Resume writer. He was not looking to make any money from this because he did not promote any resume writers himself, but gave a list of people he found on line. He said he did not know anyone from the list and will not get a kick back.

What do you think, if you were unemployed, would you hire some to look at your resume for a price or are you satisfied that you and friends can make it good enough? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 02:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I would have someone look at it, but not neccesarily a professional. If you know someone in HR, recruiting, or even someone who is involved with the hiring process at their company, ask them to look it over.

I have helped quite a few people with their resumes, and had a friend help me with mine. It's hard to edit your own work, and what might make perfect sense to you will often be gibberish to someone else.

I'd take that route before spending money to have a "pro" write it. Frankly I've seen a lot of the resumes those "pro's" write, they are so easy to spot and often so full of catch phrases that I want to play BS Bingo with them. One thing I don't like about them is that they are all so canned that it's hard to determine what makes the applicant any different from the eight others written by a professional writer.

Just my two cents.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 14,103 times
Default The man says write your own resume but have someone rewrite the non effective parts

The man said you need to have at least 15 key words related to your career so scanning software picks it up and your resume gets additional review. He says you should write it your self but have an expert revise it.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM

Keywords are fine--but there is a difference between keywords relevent to your career and keywords that are just catch phrases--like these:

Mind Share
Best Practice
Total Quality
Quality Driven
Action Item
Sustainable
Customer Centric
Intellectual Property
Timeline(s)
Customer Service
Bottom up
Flexibility
Eyeballs
Conversion Tailwind[s]
Hardball
Off the Shelf
Guidance
Non-Traditional Management
Robust
Gap Analysis
Search Engine Optimization
Mindset
Moving/Going Forward
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)

These are words that are so overused that they make recruiters eyes roll back in their head. What do they really mean? In essence, not a lot. Using a few of them if they DIRECTLY pertain to your experience is fine. Using too many of them is not. And unfortunately they are the words that professional writers love to insert into resumes.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Here's another tip for resume (and cover letter) writing: avoid pretentiousness. For example, a lot of people think they're impressing someone when they slap down a word like "utilize." The correct word would be "use."

Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Eyeballs? lol

Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
I've helped several other people write and rewrite their resume's. The get jobs, especially in other cities and states, me, still looking. Had several recruiters tell me my resume looks great, but its a hell of a market out there. You have to tailor your resume to each job opening.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Service Man View Post
OK I admit it, I am unemployed. That is why I am sitting home sitting on my duff collecting unemployment insurance and worrying about the future. It sucks out there!

I went to a seminar recently that was put on by a man who said he had been involved in interviewing and hiring for years. He put on a good show. At the end he encouraged everyone who was looking for a professional job to write their own Resume but to have it reviewed by a professional Resume writer. He was not looking to make any money from this because he did not promote any resume writers himself, but gave a list of people he found on line. He \said he did not know anyone from the list a,nd will not get a kick back.
e
What do you think, if you were unemployed, would you hire some to look at your resume for a price or are you satisfied that you and friends can make it good enough? Why or why not?

Why can't YOU spend time working on resume? I spent 4 hours on my resume and it has generated lots of feedback.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
I just read that your resume should start with a summary paragraph of your qualifications as they pertain to the job that you are interested in.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I just read that your resume should start with a summary paragraph of your qualifications as they pertain to the job that you are interested in.
That's old school. EVERYONE has the same objective--a job! The content that you might put into an objective is better suited for your cover letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search