Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 PM

935 posts, read 2,405,591 times

Advertisements

The thing that some people do not realize is that many resumes are not even being analyzed by actual people. Some businesses scan resumes, more likely the electronic ones though some paper ones might go through this process as well, with computers and search for keywords instead of looking at the entire resume experience. Therefore, if you resume does not have the proper keywords then you will not receive a call back even if you are perfect for the job.

That is not always the case. That is probably not even the case half the time. However, that is one thing to keep in mind when you think your resume is being ignored. It could be that your resume does not have the proper keywords for the job opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,987,552 times
^^^
Never thought of that. Makes sense, though.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,515,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Do you think your Resume is being ignored?

I got great 5.75 years experience doing CAD, some engineering, and technical writing. I graduated from the 6th best college in the nation for Mechanical Engineering. I last worked at NASA on the Space Shuttle, Space Station, and Lunar Lander - at the BEST aerospace company you can work for - Jacobs ESCG.

I am being ignored for jobs by companies and recruiters in Chicago... I'm hurting and wondering why? ... Is it because of my felony or am I being blacklisted too?

How are you doing? Feeling the same as me?
How did you get a job at Nasa with a felony? I would imagine that would require some type of security clearance or background check and a felony would have been a problem back then?

Why do you think your resume would be ignored out of any of the other ones there? ALl they know from that resume is all the great info you mentioned in the post, what reason would they have to ignore you?

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,015 times
Default It Doesn't Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Do you think your Resume is being ignored?

I got great 5.75 years experience doing CAD, some engineering, and technical writing. I graduated from the 6th best college in the nation for Mechanical Engineering. I last worked at NASA on the Space Shuttle, Space Station, and Lunar Lander - at the BEST aerospace company you can work for - Jacobs ESCG.

I am being ignored for jobs by companies and recruiters in Chicago... I'm hurting and wondering why? ... Is it because of my felony or am I being blacklisted too?

How are you doing? Feeling the same as me?
I know of some good employees who had minor run-in's with the law. Their employment lives were made totally miserable. I'm not convinced that the fine print on an application, "... Answering YES does not necessarily disqualify you from employment", is worth the ink used to print it.

NASA? CAD? 5.75 Years? I'd pay money for that kind of background! That kind of experience should keep the cash flowing for some time.

What's worse, if you even tried to exercise any of your "rights" against an employer, you can be black-listed for life. Employers talk to employers, and companies today are vicious and vindictive as ever! Those commercials you see on TV by law offices telling you that you have rights are total bunk. I am sooooo sorry that I filed a complaint against a former company. I should have just let them have their way with me, and moved on. I go on one interview after another, and never hear from the interviewing employer again - this happens shortly after they ask me who my former supervisor was.

The takeaway: think about the possible consequences before you do *anything*. If you get in trouble with the law, you get screwed. If you sue a former employer for harassment or something, you had better be darn well make sure that you are going to win and get enough compensation so that you won't ever have to work again - because the chances of getting employed again are going to be slim and none. Our rights in general have been eroded over the past few decades, and employment rights are not exempt. This advice is probably too late for anybody reading this post, but I thought it was worth posting.

This world isn't reality anyway. It can't be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search