Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

By day, when I am not looking at the Internet to kill time, I am a professional recruiter in a Human Resources Department for a very large company. Even in today's terrible economy we still have hundreds of open positions because we are working with the government and there is still lots of work the government is outsourcing to the private sector.

I can not believe the Resumes we get from people. Doesn't anyone look at Resume preparation guides on the Internet or look at job search books at the local Library? People send Resumes with huge grammatical mistakes, full of outdated information, list jobs that they did for a few months 20 years ago, and in some cases send documents that are 5-7 pages.

Why are so many well educated seemingly successful people such terrible job hunters? Why don't they have friends and relatives, who know how to write, review their Resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
By day, when I am not looking at the Internet to kill time, I am a professional recruiter in a Human Resources Department for a very large company. Even in today's terrible economy we still have hundreds of open positions because we are working with the government and there is still lots of work the government is outsourcing to the private sector.

I can not believe the Resumes we get from people. Doesn't anyone look at Resume preparation guides on the Internet or look at job search books at the local Library? People send Resumes with huge grammatical mistakes, full of outdated information, list jobs that they did for a few months 20 years ago, and in some cases send documents that are 5-7 pages.

Why are so many well educated seemingly successful people such terrible job hunters? Why don't they have friends and relatives, who know how to write, review their Resume?

Holy Mackeral!!!

If you want to help people on here with their resumes, just offer your service! instead of holy moly i can't believe how many people can't write, do their hair, dress properly, use the kings english properly,etc, etc, ad nauseaum.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I hadn't had to seriously update my resume for over 20-yrs, so I knew what was ahead. I did extensive research to develop a draft. I then took it to the career transition company that was part of my severance and they made some minor tweaks. I'm gratified that every article I read about cover letters and resumes reflects my product. Net-net though, I'm still looking and I continue to tailor it to the few positions that interest me.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Every writer knows that you can't proof read your own work. It's always a wise idea to ask someone to review your resume for you. There are some grammatical and speling errors that spell check doesn't pick up.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Yes, people are fallible and want contradictory things.

For many it would appear that job seekers are picky...they don't want to work out of their neighborhood, don't want to work past 4:30, want a career they love, won't or can't relocate, won't do telemaketing because it kills the soul, won't go to job fairs, because they never pan out, won't pay someone to fix their resume or go to their local community college career center or job center where they will critique it for free and all the while they complain about there being no jobs.

But as both George Bush and Hussain Obama and the President of the Board of labor Statistics will point out that our country has lost 6 million plus jobs in the past year, so it is easy to point out people's inconsistencies, but you can't get around the fact that this country has lost 6 million plus jobs.

Try to squeak around that!

And yes, people will continue to be inconsistent. That is life!! and yes, inconsistent people will complain. Listening to anyone, we will notice inconsistencies. Again, that is life, living with human beings! ;-))

Last edited by gea12345; 04-16-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:28 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Every writer knows that you can't proof read your own work. It's always a wise idea to ask someone to review your resume for you. There are some grammatical and speling errors that spell check doesn't pick up.
Sorry, couldn't resist considering the comment

Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Exactly! LOL!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I came back to twist the knife a little more. I know you did it as a joke, right annerk?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
There isn't much difference between the job market and housing market. Back before the housing bust you could put the biggest pile of crap on the market in socal and it would start a bidding war. Jobs are the same way. When the economy is booming, and workers have the upper hand, some companies will look past these things if the prospective employee can do the job.

But it is probably my field (engineering) that sees a lot of this. I have worked with incredibly smart people that look as though they can't tie their own shoes. They always have other things on their mind. Don't even get me started on appearance or hygiene! Eccentric? who knows.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I came back to twist the knife a little more. I know you did it as a joke, right annerk?
Um yeah, that's it, yup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search