Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 05:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,871,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
I was arguing this point a few nights ago.
I believe a recruiter only cares about you if you are an excellent fit for a position they are filling.
The other argument is you should do everything in your power to maintain a good and respectful relationship.
My contention is a recruiter will always and only call if you can make them money, so it's not really important to maintain a consistent relationship with them.
What do you think?
I thought a recruiter is only supposed to care about you is when you can help them? Why would they care about someone if they can't fill a position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM

470 posts, read 1,035,188 times
Recruiters/temp agencies are part of the problem right now, not the solution. It doesn't matter how qualified you are, if they get the slightest hint that you are going to jump ship when you get a more enticing salary offer, they will not select you for the position. It may very well be true that you will leave in six months, but it might be 18 to 24 months before a better offer comes along. Heaven forbid a company go out of their way to retain their talent. So instead of hiring a highly motivated candidate they would rather hire someone that has very low goals and probably very low standards for their work as well, or just keep the position open. Employers and recruiters need to accept the reality that employers will be struggling to fill positions in the very near future. First you get along, and then you get along.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,350,567 times
Spokane... speak for yourself and your own experiences.

I lose people and I understand that. It's a very competitive market up here for employees, the reality is a lot of the people that work for me and the company I'm with could very well get a job down the road with equal or more pay. In fact, I had a welder quit last week because the shop next to the one he was working in offered him more. No hard feelings, that's just how it is. I can't be upset over that, if it were me I'd do the same thing.

CNN just did a piece on the market here, actually...

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,625,055 times
I think people have spoken about their own experiences with recruiters and temp agencies. It's only when they do that people lash out at them and try and sweep those bad experiences under the rug and others become so defensive. You can't brush off people's experiences all because you don't like what they are saying.

I have also already stated that no one can judge all agencies/recruiters. But it is also not fair to sidestep other people's issues and problems with agencies either.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,515,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I think people have spoken about their own experiences with recruiters and temp agencies. It's only when they do that people lash out at them and try and sweep those bad experiences under the rug and others become so defensive. You can't brush off people's experiences all because you don't like what they are saying.

I have also already stated that no one can judge all agencies/recruiters. But it is also not fair to sidestep other people's issues and problems with agencies either.
Yea really. thank you!! Like I said before, I went through so much with them that at this point it's not worth it for me to "give them a chance." You spend money and time on them and they can't even show basic human consideration here. I understand the way they do business; hello I did real estate and used similar tactics. I understand they got to do what they got to do. But surely there is a way to be respectful to candidates. There is no need to humiliate people and ask inappropriate questions that are borderline illegal. There is no need to give dirty "up and down" looks - I am dressed nicely.There is no need to sneer or be obnoxious. Again, these are all examples of what actually happened. Oh, and this one,"How are you surviving?" Well, let's see. It's really none of her business!! Mabye I have a trust fund? NO, wait...I stand on the corner every night and sell drugs.. Is that what she wanted to hear? Did she want me to beg for a job? I'm done.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 AM

470 posts, read 1,035,188 times
This was my last and final experience with them. I consider myself a seasoned sales person by now having done sales and marketing for the past four years and my last positions being a sales and business development manager and I currently run an online business that produces modest results but still shows signs of growth.

I applied for a position that was listed as a person to develop a territory. When I show up it is actually as an assistant for an insurance agent doing all of their cold calls for them. No biggie, I thought, it's a job until something better comes up. The recruiter proceeded to tell me that the company would be paying for me to get my life and disability license. I asked if the position had the possibility of becoming an agent. The recruiter got very defensive and asked how long I planned on staying at this position? At that point I realized I was not getting the job so I took off the gloves. I asked the recruiter what kind of no ambition, no drive person did they want to hire that would be ok farming leads for someone when they had the tools necessary to sell insurance and make more money like the person they were farming leads for. She ended the interview there and said they couldn't hire someone that would be looking to leave or move up in less than 12 months of employment.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I applied for a position that was listed as a person to develop a territory. When I show up it is actually as an assistant for an insurance agent doing all of their cold calls for them.
Basically a bait and switch. Is it really necessary to use this tactic during the recession? There are people who will take anything. Why bait and switch like that at this time?

And then she got rude on top of that...

Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Respect is a two way street......Just because they are recruiters does not mean they are entitled to more respect than anyone else.

If I walk into an temp agency or go into a recruiters office and they are rude, I am going to get up and leave. Plain and simple.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
If I walk into an temp agency or go into a recruiters office and they are rude, I am going to get up and leave. Plain and simple.
Yea, I got up and left a few times when they were rude to me.

Quote:
Respect is a two way street......Just because they are recruiters does not mean they are entitled to more respect than anyone else.
It's obvious quite a few of them look down on the unemployed. A few on this thread and other similar threads apparently feel that they are entitled to more respect just because they are "recruiters". One in particular (and she knows who she is) proceeded to enumerate her typical day/job duties in an effort to bolster that position. Of course, the experienced workers who are "experienced" in dealing with the recruiters/agencies, are not going to be moved by that argument. Now if a lawyers or even a lowly paralegal enumerates their typical job duties, clearly the legal eagles both have more work and responsibilities on their plate - and also more liabilities as a result. Now if a lawyer is nasty and disrespectful to clients, workers and in the courtroom, is that lawyer entitled to more respect than a school janitor because his work is more demanding? Respect is based on behavior not title, degree, amount of school loans one has or level of responsibility. I don't care if you are a recruiter or a Harvard graduate.If you treat me like crap, be prepared to take it, as I dish it right back to you.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 AM

Well said Mystique!

Of course then some will say that they are the ones holding the jobs, so you better respect them. Well I disagree. I don't care if they are the ones holding jobs. Respect works both ways and just because you have the possibility of getting me a job does not entitle you to more respect. Nor does it entitle you to treat me like crap or be rude. It's as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search