Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,188,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
What he said wasn't wrong. Go to monster, select a large city, and type in a skilled position like software developer, accounting, etc. and watch thousands of results appear.

Sure it is oversimplified in that many need specific skillsets etc. but I'd say it is pretty easy to back up a claim that for major cities there are plenty of jobs available for college degree level positions.
OK then I'll stick with extreme oversimplification, such that the statement is misleading and/or meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
and there are counties in other parts of the country that are closer to 14% - so what's your point? We should ALL move to VA?
He was responding to my comment about N. Virginia and the unemployment rate. The actual numbers vary pending on what area(s) you're talking about.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:10 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are we reviving a thread that was started 15 months ago? Also, in case you didn't know, the OP has been banned from the forum twice.
I found it interesting/humorous myself, that the OP wrote the following:

"Myself and the rest of the recruiters..."

This is improper grammar and using it in a post about how "few people know how to write..." is humorously ironic.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,188,641 times
Hiring people don't need basic grammar skills; they already have a job. They can spell cat with a K and nobody blinks.

But let your resume have so much as one extra space where it shouldn't be, and....

Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,955,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The sad truth is the job doesn't go to the best candidate. The job goes to the candidate that plays the resume and interview game best. Is that really what's important to companies these days?
Unfortunately, I agree with this statement. I invested lots of time, expense and energy pursuing my dream profession through part-time assignments. I'm having trouble mastering the interview as it is so stiff and formal with multiple folks interviewing me at the same time. I'm trying to keep positive and do what I can to excel in my interviews but it is tough.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,501,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Please see my other postings about all the mistakes most candidates make and why they are still unemployed!
Posts without questions are better placed in blogs. Forums are typically used to obtain answers to questions -- unless I missed your question?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:40 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,808,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Posts without questions are better placed in blogs. Forums are typically used to obtain answers to questions -- unless I missed your question?
erm...you're talking to a poster that is long gone from this forum........ just a heads up

and fwiw, a forum is basically a place for DISCUSSION, not a Q & A site

Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,650,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Hiring people don't need basic grammar skills; they already have a job. They can spell cat with a K and nobody blinks.

But let your resume have so much as one extra space where it shouldn't be, and....
As someone who is employed, totally agree with you. I see too many postings out there where they make blatant spelling/grammatical errors (or you can tell that it is written by someone who is not even in the field) yet it won't matter if they screw up but rather if you make one slight mistake on your resume.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,172,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
What he said wasn't wrong. Go to monster, select a large city, and type in a skilled position like software developer, accounting, etc. and watch thousands of results appear.
Just don't type in "registered architect". You'll get computer jobs, RN jobs, and ads for the military. Even monster-dot-com knows better than to try and look for fields in construction-related fields.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,032,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Hello again from the friendly recruiter.

I just got done reading the other thread from people who say there are no jobs out there. I got so frustrated that I had to move on and start my own post.

Yes, if you live in a manufacturing town in a place like small town Michigan, and need a good union position at $50 an hour, then you are right there are few if any jobs for you.

But if you live in a major American City with a college degree and job skills there are still many jobs out there. Here in Northern VA the unemployment rate is about 5%. Most of the people who are unemployed are generally new immigrants trying to learn English and understand the world of work here in America, or people who have few job skills.

Myself and the rest of the recruiters at my company are constantly shocked how poor the average person's resume is and how poorly they sell themselves in the job interview. It is a real shame because they spent years going to college, worked hard in their chosen career and spent many hours in seminars, workshops and professional association meetings.

I get the same feedback from people who work with us at employment agencies. Most candidates never seem to know that the Library is full of great books about job hunting.

Please see my other postings about all the mistakes most candidates make and why they are still unemployed!
\

Recruiter? See' that's the entire problem with the US workforce. REAL jobs have been replaced with menial jobs like yours. Instead of being a worthless recruiter why don't YOU go apply for a real job. That's the whole problem.........that the average US employer has to "sell themselves" nowadays. Do I really care what you or any company or recruiter thinks of me? I don't have to sell you crap. I should be able to clock in do a job and clock out. I don't have to try to brag or polish my resume for some recruiter. Writing a resume today is akin to writing a college thesis. I mean my god...what happened to filling out a one page piece of paper and getting an interview? If you are a recruiter and you need a someone to write a book about themselves in order for you to hire them that means you're not very good at your job. The whole problem is the power has been flipped. The workers in the USA have no damn power anymore. All the power, i.e. to hire and fire is in the hands of the corporation.

I'll put it to you like this buddy since you seem to have all the answers to America's unemployment problems down to resumes and inteviewing skills or lack there of!!!!!!

Employers are like women nowadays....they are constantly trying to find the perfect employee just like women who are trying to find the perfect man. NEITHER EXIST! But just like women have been brainwashed to have unrealistic expectations in their men...hence why there are so many women marrying later in life.....when they realize their expectations are just too high........corporations have been brainwashed into believing everyone who looks good on paper and can flirt, charm and bs their way through an interview make the best workers.

oh PS I'm gainfully employed and happily married. But it's "recruiters" like you and other fluff jobs that have ruined the American economy. Without manufacturing this country is dead. You better enjoy your job while you have it. Because pretty soon your hierarchical "recruiting" job will be outsourced. LOLO.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,621,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
You know that there. Most employers and recruiters complain about unfilled positions due to lack of qualified employees. Well, there are qualified employees out there but they're too stubborn to see it. You can come in with your A-game and they'll still find something wrong

Agreed! They come up with this BS of not being able to find qualified applicants. They don't even so much as blink at all of the millions of unemployed people. I cannot be convinced that they can't find qualified applicants. Give me a break
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search