Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:27 PM

80 posts, read 250,249 times

Advertisements

CK --

I am a hard worker. I'm a good worker. I have applied for anything and everything that I am capable of doing, including service industry jobs, such as cleaning, waiting tables, etc. I know that I'm worth more than what I've been getting and what I will get, but that's not the point. The point is to not be a drain on the system or my family and to do anything and everything to ensure this doesn't happen -- even if it means busting tail for a low-paying job that barely gets me by indefinitely. Those are the personal ethics that I take to the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 02:36 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And how many people are really going to leave their families and go and live in tents in camps and do manual labor all day?

Answer: At least one of those 375,000 people who lost their homes in March 2009, i would think!

I would if it led to me having a patent job...;-)) lol

Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Answer: At least one of those 375,000 people who lost their homes in March 2009, i would think!

I would if it led to me having a patent job...;-)) lol
But they couldn't bring the family with them--the family would still need to have a place to stay. I'm sure some would be willing to work on WPA projects, but the numbers would most likely be small enough that it wouldn't make insituting such a program worthwhile.

BTW--Have you gone through Martindale Hubbell and sent resumes and cover letters to various attorneys practicing patent law in the areas you want to live? I got a paralegal job this way years ago. Sent unsolicited resumes and covers to law firms until I got a hit.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:44 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,137,021 times
You ask that question because you would like to know about who was working that position and what exactly happened with that person? Did they quit? meaning, maybe the job sucks. Where they fired? meaning, maybe they are very strict and don't play around so be careful with everything you do there or is it a new position? meaning are they going to use you are their guinea pig? and see what come out of it?

What do you think about it now? lol

Old 04-26-2009, 02:45 PM

173 posts, read 966,813 times
I actually like that question TVSG!
Remember, interviewing is a 2-way street, plus they want to know if we are a right fit, just as we want to know if we will fit in well.
If it is an experimental position, then you need to know just in case they quickly lay you off.
If you are a replacement, then you need to probe further just in case it's because of retirement or high attrition.
If you are a supplement, then you know the company is somewhat stable or is positioned to grow in the future.
No one wants to accept the wrong position!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:01 PM

Yes, actually i did go through martindale hubble and sent out 56 inquiries. No one bit.

It is much easier to get a positon with a personal injury attorney! Plenty of jobs there. ;-)

So, what are you saying is different about Americans, now versus in the 40's.

Interesting links;
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/ny...nd/19Rwpa.html

WPA projects in Kansas / LJWorld.com

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "12 WPA Projects that Still Exist"

Quote:
But they couldn't bring the family with them--the family would still need to have a place to stay. I'm sure some would be willing to work on WPA projects, but the numbers would most likely be small enough that it wouldn't make insituting such a program worthwhile.

BTW--Have you gone through Martindale Hubbell and sent resumes and cover letters to various attorneys practicing patent law in the areas you want to live? I got a paralegal job this way years ago. Sent unsolicited resumes and covers to law firms until I got a hit.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Yes, actually i did go through martindale hubble and sent out 56 inquiries. No one bit.

It is much easier to get a positon with a personal injury attorney! Plenty of jobs there. ;-)

So, what are you saying is different about Americans, now versus in the 40's.

Interesting links;
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/ny...nd/19Rwpa.html

WPA projects in Kansas / LJWorld.com

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "12 WPA Projects that Still Exist"

Seriously, would you be willing to leave your home and family and go work digging ditches in Herkimer, NY, living in a tent for $9/hour? And no, there is no promise of anything other than 30 hours a week of employment for the time being. There is no promise of a job in your field. There is just a paycheck of $270/week before taxes. My guess is that the majority of people wouldn't take that type of work.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Well, If i am willing to dig ditches for 8 dollars per hour in Oregon, I am sure i will dig them in Herkimer, NY. Why, because if you have zero, 270 a week is better than zero!

I can turn down 270, only for a short period of time, due to Obama's extension.

Otherwise, I would be digging ditches, quite willingly.

If people climb mountains, cross deserts, paddle in canoes to get here to make 8 bucks an hour, i guess i can do the same thing!

Men in the 40's had children. So the question remains what is different now, than in the 1940's.

The statistics state that most americans make less than 35000 a year, so not that imuch better than 9 bucks per hour.

good luck!

Quote:
Seriously, would you be willing to leave your home and family and go work digging ditches in Herkimer, NY, living in a tent for $9/hour? And no, there is no promise of anything other than 30 hours a week of employment for the time being. There is no promise of a job in your field. There is just a paycheck of $270/week before taxes. My guess is that the majority of people wouldn't take that type of work.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:43 PM

364 posts, read 1,564,453 times
35,000 a year is much, much more than 9 bucks an hour.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
35,000 a year is much, much more than 9 bucks an hour.

More like $17/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search